Itunes Match and an iPhone - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
gotroxs
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104192
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 gotroxs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Itunes Match and an iPhone

Hello All,

Newbie to the forum as I just purchased a 2013 Focus Titanium 3 weeks ago.

Love the car but hate the MFT. Navigation is a bit better after the update to 3.2.2 but I still want to punch the voice that comes with voice recognition as I know I can't speak any clearer at times.

But the thing that is frustrating me the most is how the music played back through my iPhone. I did just buy an iPhone 5 hoping some of my problems will disappear. Not really.

Here we go.

I joined the iTunes Match service a few days before getting the phone. I did this so I wouldn't need to get the 32gb phone and then could save $100. So with all my songs up in the cloud I should be able to connect through USB to MFT and be happy.

Well once all the songs were in the cloud and you connect through USB you can not see any of the sonds through the MFT panel. There are no songs listed as they are not on the iPhone. Since the phone is connected to the USB port the phone goes into accesory mode and you can not choose anything from there. Now everything that MFT is supposed to doesn't work.

If I want to listen to music I need to connect through BT and on the phone select a song. This is flaky as I only sometimes get the ability to see artist and song name and sometimes I can't use the steering wheel contriols and cannot at all use voice commands. Other issues is that I can't charge the phone while on BT since I haven't been able to get a car adapter for the new phone yet. That will happen in the next few days though.

So anyone out there able to use iTunes Match and the USB port? Anyone got any ideas on workarounds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Hey, gotroxs -

Congrats on the new Ti and welcome to the forum!

Track information is intended to display when you're connected through USB, but not Bluetooth audio (as long as all the meta data is correct). We haven't tested iTunes Match with any of our systems yet so I can't comment on it's compatibility.

Hopefully others will jump in who have experienced a similar concern. If you have any other In-Vehicle Technology-related questions, let me know.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroxs View Post
Hello All,

Newbie to the forum as I just purchased a 2013 Focus Titanium 3 weeks ago.

Love the car but hate the MFT. Navigation is a bit better after the update to 3.2.2 but I still want to punch the voice that comes with voice recognition as I know I can't speak any clearer at times.

But the thing that is frustrating me the most is how the music played back through my iPhone. I did just buy an iPhone 5 hoping some of my problems will disappear. Not really.

Here we go.

I joined the iTunes Match service a few days before getting the phone. I did this so I wouldn't need to get the 32gb phone and then could save $100. So with all my songs up in the cloud I should be able to connect through USB to MFT and be happy.

Well once all the songs were in the cloud and you connect through USB you can not see any of the sonds through the MFT panel. There are no songs listed as they are not on the iPhone. Since the phone is connected to the USB port the phone goes into accesory mode and you can not choose anything from there. Now everything that MFT is supposed to doesn't work.

If I want to listen to music I need to connect through BT and on the phone select a song. This is flaky as I only sometimes get the ability to see artist and song name and sometimes I can't use the steering wheel contriols and cannot at all use voice commands. Other issues is that I can't charge the phone while on BT since I haven't been able to get a car adapter for the new phone yet. That will happen in the next few days though.

So anyone out there able to use iTunes Match and the USB port? Anyone got any ideas on workarounds?
The whole fact that music is not stored on the device is the issue. Likely no one will have better results than you except for maybe having better metadata on their songs and getting better artist/track names through BT audio.

You ought to try using SyncMyiTunes (downloadable from SyncMyRide.com) and let it clean up your iTunes library data. This may give you better results via BT. Unfortunately BT is just streaming so you won't be able to use voice commands with it.
Sonic Crew #28 | Rally Revolution #117
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
asdfg

Last edited by TehMark; 09-27-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
thirdj
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87909
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium White Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 thirdj Good Standing Member
I've tried what you are talking about in the past, but I've only ever got it to work by selecting the song on the iphone. I think what you are trying to do is stream your music from itunes match over 3g/4g. If I recall it downloaded it to my phone and then played.

In all honesty I gave up on streaming and just bought a 32gig flash drive. I have more music on that that than I care to listen to on my drive to and from work and I don't have to worry about eating up my monthly celluar data.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
gullwingdmc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88545
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 2 gullwingdmc Good Standing Member
Hey Gotrox
So here is the issue. MyFord Touch does not appear to use the "iPod Out" feature of iPhones/iPods. This taps into the iPod database and just presents you the data. This is a good thing though as that feature (iPod Out) is not supported by the new "lightning" dock port. Thankfully it appears that MFT actually scans the device and finds all the music & playlist files then presents them to you in a very similar way an iPod would. So when you have iTunes Match enabled there are no files on your phone, at least in the beginning. As soon as you play a song once it downloads it to the device. The next time you connect the phone to MFT it will find those files.

So it is actually a good thing that MFT handles iPods & iPhones this way. If it didn't the new iPhone probably wouldn't work with MFT.

Bookmarks & Social Networks