NAV annoyance when entering destination address - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry NAV annoyance when entering destination address

Am I the only one who gets p'd off with this annoying auto-predict/fill feature? Perhaps it's not behaving the same with US addresses (and zip codes).

When I'm looking up an address, I enter the street name, then when entering the first 3 digits of the postal code, it automatically pops up with possible city/neighborhoods using these 3 first digits. When I have no clue where I'm going, I'm stuck selecting one of the choices provided by the system, but if often leads to "the address does not exist", and have to start over and over. Why can't I just enter the friggin' FULL postal code without having to rely on a potential city/town match...?

I tried switching the postal code field to city name, and system is really slow to respond when spelling cities, as it's trying to fetch the next "possible" letter available for that address... Since the keyboard is so slow, I start typing away, and suddenly, system pops up with possible city names, however that occurs exactly when my fingers are still typing the next letter, but the system interprets my typing as choosing the first city from the list... and again, wrong city, and I have to start over.

The IVT team once replied back in a PM that was a standard feature and there was no work around for this annoyance.

Now, I'm wondering - anyone else experienced this? Any tips, advice... work arounds?!

I miss my $200 Garmin!!!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
If it doesn't come up in the list, it won't know it anyways.

I kind of like that I don't have to type the whole thing out... for me, I usually pick the city, then street, then number, and haven't had any problems. It autocompletes it when it has narrowed down the possibilities.

Well, other than freezing halfway to my destination. Or trying to get me to make left turns across medians.

My real issue is that the pedestrian paths are all displayed on the map, in the same colour and thickness as roads. Very handy in a car...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
I still can't figure out why, in Intersection mode, it offers up possibilities that it knows aren't possible.

For example...

MFT - "Say First Street"

"Center Avenue"

MFT - "Say Second Street"

"Main Street"

MFT - "Please Choose"

[W Main and E Main pop up on-screen]

"East Main"

MFT - "Intersection Cannot Be Located, Which Street Would You Like to Change?" (or something like that)

...and so on.

If it knows Center Ave + E Main doesn't exist and Center Ave + W Main does exist... when why on earth is it even offering me Option #1 in the first place?

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
I have noticed this annoying aspect of entering in addresses with the keypad as well. My work around is to use voice commands instead. They usually work much better and it avoids the auto complete feature.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
I will try to explore a little more with voice commands, but I never have good experiences with the voice command either, it either pops up with irrelevant selections or it just freezes. My MFT language is set to French as I speak mostly French at home, however... it might be worth switching to English to test out accurary.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
Am I the only one who gets p'd off with this annoying auto-predict/fill feature? Perhaps it's not behaving the same with US addresses (and zip codes).

When I'm looking up an address, I enter the street name, then when entering the first 3 digits of the postal code, it automatically pops up with possible city/neighborhoods using these 3 first digits. When I have no clue where I'm going, I'm stuck selecting one of the choices provided by the system, but if often leads to "the address does not exist", and have to start over and over. Why can't I just enter the friggin' FULL postal code without having to rely on a potential city/town match...?

I tried switching the postal code field to city name, and system is really slow to respond when spelling cities, as it's trying to fetch the next "possible" letter available for that address... Since the keyboard is so slow, I start typing away, and suddenly, system pops up with possible city names, however that occurs exactly when my fingers are still typing the next letter, but the system interprets my typing as choosing the first city from the list... and again, wrong city, and I have to start over.

The IVT team once replied back in a PM that was a standard feature and there was no work around for this annoyance.

Now, I'm wondering - anyone else experienced this? Any tips, advice... work arounds?!

I miss my $200 Garmin!!!

Thanks!
Same thing here; I just stopped using the darn thing. Easier to use my Droid. Ditto for music. Use Droid with Pandora instead of Sirius.

Bookmarks & Social Networks