POLL: K&N Intake - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Have you had problems with the MAF housing?
No problems, whatsoever 12 85.71%
I was very careful, but still broke my MAF housing 0 0%
I wasn't very careful and broke my MAF housing 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
In non-RACECAR driving (below 3200 rpm), the Typhoon was showing roughly 5 hp less, with up to 8 ft lbs less tq.
Another thing to consider here is that you're at WOT on the dyno. Will the effect you're seeing at WOT at those RPMs (below 3200 rpm) affect real-world, part-throttle driving at those RPMs in the same manner? A dyno works great for finding max hp or torque at a given rpm, but isn't really a tool for part-throttle efficiency analysis.

I keep close track of MPG tank-to-tank, and I saw no noticeable change in MPG going from the stock intake to the Typhoon. I would be more willing to believe that anyone who sees a drop in MPG with an intake swap is using more go-pedal because he likes the sound of the new intake.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Another thing to consider here is that you're at WOT on the dyno. Will the effect you're seeing at WOT at those RPMs (below 3200 rpm) affect real-world, part-throttle driving at those RPMs in the same manner? A dyno works great for finding max hp or torque at a given rpm, but isn't really a tool for part-throttle efficiency analysis.

I keep close track of MPG tank-to-tank, and I saw no noticeable change in MPG going from the stock intake to the Typhoon. I would be more willing to believe that anyone who sees a drop in MPG with an intake swap is using more go-pedal because he likes the sound of the new intake.
This is true, and I understand everything you've said. The question actually had come about by someone who's primary mileage is highway or greater. A small dip in mileage would probably have been tolerated, but he was looking at a 2+ mpg drop...a pretty noticeable change.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

When someone states a mpg drop or increase, I am naturally a skeptic. Was the drop measured from just one tank, or was it an average drop after at least 3-4 tanks, compared to at least 3-4 tanks averaged prior, with identical driving habits, etc...

My primary mileage is highway (10-15% rural "city"), and my averages virtually didn't change with the intake swap. By "virtually" I mean that any small change I saw +/- were no different than how average MPG can fluctuate due to many factors.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
When someone states a mpg drop or increase, I am naturally a skeptic. Was the drop measured from just one tank, or was it an average drop after at least 3-4 tanks, compared to at least 3-4 tanks averaged prior, with identical driving habits, etc...

My primary mileage is highway (10-15% rural "city"), and my averages virtually didn't change with the intake swap. By "virtually" I mean that any small change I saw +/- were no different than how average MPG can fluctuate due to many factors.
I believe he said three tanks, with mainly cruise-control highway driving. After removing the Typhoon his mileage was back up within two tanks.

I had skepticism also, but I experienced the same thing with my Newmission mod. After having it on for a month or more, I still could not get over 30 mpg when my standard pre-Newmission was 32.5...

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

interesting... That almost makes me want to install the stock intake again to see what happens.

Almost.
Hatch Nation #90
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #26
vluc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10803
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Ebony

FF Reputation: 1 vluc Good Standing Member
It was over three tanks, almost 1000 miles of 90% highway on cruise. Frustrated the crap out of me, and within one tank I was back to where I was pre-SRI with the K&N drop-in.

Interesting that the removal of the newmission also allowed a second driver's mpg's to rise again.

Maybe the car just keeps resetting after a certain point, I don't know, but I do know that the car goes from feeling like a well-worn shoe on me and doing whatever I want to being persnickety and not responding in its usual manner, to all of a sudden being the car I love again.

ymmv.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Save yourself the money and trouble and just buy a drop in K&N filter.
Agreed. Drop in filter did the job. MPG increase and throttle response is better.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vluc View Post
It was over three tanks, almost 1000 miles of 90% highway on cruise. Frustrated the crap out of me, and within one tank I was back to where I was pre-SRI with the K&N drop-in.

Interesting that the removal of the newmission also allowed a second driver's mpg's to rise again.

Maybe the car just keeps resetting after a certain point, I don't know, but I do know that the car goes from feeling like a well-worn shoe on me and doing whatever I want to being persnickety and not responding in its usual manner, to all of a sudden being the car I love again.

ymmv.
Sorry, my memory fails me something fierce...

I'm already seeing 1.5 mpg with the removal of the Newmission by the trip computer. I'm finally back over 30 mpg, so we'll see what the whole tank yields...

Sent from my stupid phone.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
I had no problems with it.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
BBennett2388
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103670
What I Drive: 2012, se hatch back

FF Reputation: 1 BBennett2388 Good Standing Member
So does the drop in knn filter get better gas mileage? With out the snorkal delete and new missionn mods? Only "performance" upgrade I have is 2.25 piping flex pipe back with a magnaflow muffler "camaro" style(single in and dual out). I'm looking for an intake to work the the exhaust but keep atleast the same gas mileage or hopefully even better mileage. What intake would you guys recommend if any?

Bookmarks & Social Networks