Right Front Seat Rattle - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Quantos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100622
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Sedan Focus Man.

FF Reputation: 1 Quantos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Right Front Seat Rattle

Hi guys,

I've got a rattle seemingly coming from my right-front seat, and I was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to what it could be. I haven't gone there and fiddled with every part I can find yet, but I wanted to know if I could avoid that altogether if someone knows what that could be specifically.

The symptoms of the rattle are as follows. It seems only to happen over 100KH/h (~ 60 MPH), and only when nobody is sitting in the right front seat. I've fiddled a bit with the parts I can touch easily as I go along, but at that speed, I just can't start messing with everything there is on and around the seat. From what I can hear though, it's definitely from the seat or under the seat, as opposed to door trim or dash trim. The noise itself is a bit hard to describe. It's a sort of cracking noise, perhaps two plastic pieces rubbing together at sharp angles or something like that. It'll try to see if it's possible to record it. The annoying thing is that I can't actually troubleshoot it myself as it's happening, I'd need to get someone in the back seat to fiddle with it :(

Anyone go ideas or similar experiences?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
Check this thread out. You might find a solution

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273150
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I have the same issue going on, I took it to my dealer and they ordered new seat rails for the seat, IDK if that will fix the issue as the dealer has not received them yet.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!

Last edited by SkyPilot; 09-25-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Quantos
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
Check this thread out. You might find a solution

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273150
Wow, great read! Thanks for that link.

I'll try to push things around on my way back home to see if anything changes. I didn't touch the passenger headrest yet, that'll be a good test. I'll see if I can get a recording of it as well (if it's loud enough, I'm not quite sure).
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
I've been having the same issue since I bought my car. Also speed-related. Dealers have acknowledged the rattle but, to date, no fixes.

One recent development... for the longest time, I thought it was coming from the pax door area. However, on a long (500 mi) trip last weekend, my wife said she's almost positive it's coming from under the center console. Since it's speed-related, I'm 99.9% sure it's outside the car and I'm now thinking it's probably the heat shield under that area. I plan to ask the dealer to take a look down there next time the car's in.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Quantos
Focus Enthusiast

Heatshield would make sense. I've read that some people still hear the noise when there's a passenger, while some people don't. I'm in the latter case: there's definitely no noise when there's a passenger on my right. I'm going home now, I'll try and record it and mess around with what I can.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantos View Post
Hi guys,

I've got a rattle seemingly coming from my right-front seat, and I was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to what it could be. I haven't gone there and fiddled with every part I can find yet, but I wanted to know if I could avoid that altogether if someone knows what that could be specifically...
Hi Quantos,

Give the fine folks at the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre a call. They'll reach out to your local dealership and find a solution for your concern. They can be reached at: 1-800-565-3673.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
I have the same issue going on, I took it to my dealer and they ordered new seat rails for the seat, IDK if that will fix the issue as the dealer has not received them yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
I've been having the same issue since I bought my car. Also speed-related. Dealers have acknowledged the rattle but, to date, no fixes...
Hi SkyPilot and TiPilot,

I'm happy to step in here and escalate both of you to your regional Customer Service Managers. Give me some specifics in a PM, including VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and a daytime phone number. I'll make sure someone reaches out to you pronto.

Thanks,
-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I think mine is the passenger seat AND the door panel.

As for the seat, I haven't determined if it's where the leather connects or on the track, but if I pull up and down quickly on the front left-most corner of the chair, it clicks. If I pull up slowly, it does not. If I adjust the seat position, sometimes it stops. I think it's something in the track, though.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
What I want to know is what is up with the right side of the car? It seems all of our rattles come from the right.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
What I want to know is what is up with the right side of the car? It seems all of our rattles come from the right.
Our weight dampens the left side. haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks