2012 5-Door tail lamp scratching body - Page 17 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #161
mrname
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104170
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST

FF Reputation: 1 mrname Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello,

I am a 2013 ST owner. I purchased my car on Sept 1. I have been posting my impressiojs and pictures at "http://fordstnation.com/my-st/1578-my-st-pure-emotion.html".

Recently, following this forum I have been made aware of the paint chipping that shows up around driver side tail light area. After reviewing my car, I too found out that my ST has similar problem. I posted some pictures and my observations/comments at "http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-repair-shop-service/1858-rear-tail-lights-chipping-paint-4.html".

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #162
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
I don't know. I am taking it into my dealer soon (Crystal from the Ford Customer Service team pushed it on up to regional for me). From the conversation I had with the Regional Rep, he said that the dealer will take a look, and assuming it is what I say it is (and it certainly will be), they will send it out for a quote and repairs. All while they provide me a rental.

What I will be asking when I take it in is, "What will you be doing to prevent this from happening in another 6 months?" It would appear that the light, when installed, was simply tightened a bit too much, hence it rubbing. I would assume that either a 'buffer' will be installed to keep it just off the body. But, who knows.

Also, in all fairness to my dealership, I had yet to tell them. The Regional Rep did it first. But they have been nothing but great/understanding with the transmission re-flash/programming and the strut TSB...
Quote:

The up side is that both my dealer and regional rep (Central IL) have been polite and responsive.
Hey HuskerFocus,

I'm glad to hear that your dealer and regional rep are taking great care of you. Keep me in the loop moving forward; send me a PM if you need anything further.

-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #163
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrname View Post
Hello,

I am a 2013 ST owner. I purchased my car on Sept 1. I have been posting my impressiojs and pictures at "http://fordstnation.com/my-st/1578-my-st-pure-emotion.html".

Recently, following this forum I have been made aware of the paint chipping that shows up around driver side tail light area. After reviewing my car, I too found out that my ST has similar problem. I posted some pictures and my observations/comments at "http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-repair-shop-service/1858-rear-tail-lights-chipping-paint-4.html".

Cheers,
Read your detailed post! Thanks! But is there any way you would be able to post some of the pics on here? I'd hate to register for ST Nation when I don't have an ST :) Plus, it would help a number of people that surely wouldn't register over there.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #164
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Quote:
What I will be asking when I take it in is, "What will you be doing to prevent this from happening in another 6 months?"
An excellent question. Most people seem to have no trouble getting the paint damage repaired under warranty -- but there's no point in just repainting the panel without also fixing the light. And there doesn't seem to be a universally-agreed upon method for that.

It would also likely be wise for Ford to fix the root cause at the plant. Even if it's one car in a thousand, that's 200 annoyed customers next year, and paying just one bodyshop to repaint a panel adds up to a lot of washers.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #165
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
An excellent question. Most people seem to have no trouble getting the paint damage repaired under warranty -- but there's no point in just repainting the panel without also fixing the light. And there doesn't seem to be a universally-agreed upon method for that.

It would also likely be wise for Ford to fix the root cause at the plant. Even if it's one car in a thousand, that's 200 annoyed customers next year, and paying just one bodyshop to repaint a panel adds up to a lot of washers.
It appears both of my left side lamps are rubbing badly, the hood is even worse than the tail lamp, now concerned about every body gap. Grr.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #166
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
If you want to save your self some time and trouble, just pop the hood and adjust the two rubber hood stops mounted just behind the grille. Unscrewing them a small amount will raise the spot where the hood rests and will keep it off the headlights. Don't overdo it....you're only looking to add a couple mm of clearance, and you don't want to get your fender/hood gap out of whack. This is likely the same procedure your dealership will follow. If the Q/C guy was taking a nap when your car rolled off the line, these adjusters probably got missed.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #167
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
If you want to save your self some time and trouble, just pop the hood and adjust the two rubber hood stops mounted just behind the grille. Unscrewing them a small amount will raise the spot where the hood rests and will keep it off the headlights. Don't overdo it....you're only looking to add a couple mm of clearance, and you don't want to get your fender/hood gap out of whack. This is likely the same procedure your dealership will follow. If the Q/C guy was taking a nap when your car rolled off the line, these adjusters probably got missed.
Need the paint fixed first or the hood will just rust in that spot, more so if its adjusted clear of the lamp.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #168
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Need the paint fixed first or the hood will just rust in that spot, more so if its adjusted clear of the lamp.

Tail light rubbing, but the body shop on first glance claimed the light looked like the car was backed into, but the bumper cover doesn't show any signs of that damage (only damage seemingly from the lamp rubbing against it, same as the rear quarter panel.

Have to bring it back tomorrow for them to actually look at this and the hood/ LF head lamp.

There is sort of a black mark and other scrape marks on the lamp however. But I'm fairly certain that it was rubbing on the fender the entire time I've had the car.

I'm just getting more and more depressed on all the little things they screwed up on and hadn't admitted. They might get ford to fix the paint, but if they claim it was caused by the damage to the lamp then I may have to make an insurance claim (at least I believe I lowered the deductible, but that will still suck, and also at that point I might as well have them work on the front passenger door as well as there is a dent there, and scratches probably everywhere .

LF headlamp where the hood was rubbing on it.

Its worn through the paint in less than 5000 miles. That will likely rust quite badly if its not fixed soon as winter is coming.

Not sure what hit the radiator support when nothing on the hood should touch it, except potentially under an "over slam" condition.

That does not really look bent to me, but what do I know. I don't know how the lamp got damaged externally, but I do know its worn through the paint down to the primer or bare metal on one side, but the gaps seem excessive on the other side almost. Not sure that it hasn't done damage there also.

For comparison here is the gap between the hood and the headlamp on the right side

This is much more uniform, but the damage is already done on the other side. I hope they will fix this a bit better than the fact that they are ignoring the seat concern. They claim its working perfectly, but they are denying the existence of the evidence in their own factory service manual as posted to their dealer service page, as well as other sources. I'm about at the end of my rope. I mean come on, its no where near as complicated as a dual clutch mechanism or the engine, but seriously is that the best they can come up with?

Here's the photo evidence of the damage at both ends. I haven't heard of anyone noticing any issues with the head lamp and the hood however.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #169
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
When my fiancee comes home with our car, I'm going to inspect my lights to see if I've got the same issue. I hope not.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #170
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post

Tail light rubbing, but the body shop on first glance claimed the light looked like the car was backed into, but the bumper cover doesn't show any signs of that damage (only damage seemingly from the lamp rubbing against it, same as the rear quarter panel.

Have to bring it back tomorrow for them to actually look at this and the hood/ LF head lamp.

There is sort of a black mark and other scrape marks on the lamp however. But I'm fairly certain that it was rubbing on the fender the entire time I've had the car.

I'm just getting more and more depressed on all the little things they screwed up on and hadn't admitted. They might get ford to fix the paint, but if they claim it was caused by the damage to the lamp then I may have to make an insurance claim (at least I believe I lowered the deductible, but that will still suck, and also at that point I might as well have them work on the front passenger door as well as there is a dent there, and scratches probably everywhere .

LF headlamp where the hood was rubbing on it.

Its worn through the paint in less than 5000 miles. That will likely rust quite badly if its not fixed soon as winter is coming.

Not sure what hit the radiator support when nothing on the hood should touch it, except potentially under an "over slam" condition.

That does not really look bent to me, but what do I know. I don't know how the lamp got damaged externally, but I do know its worn through the paint down to the primer or bare metal on one side, but the gaps seem excessive on the other side almost. Not sure that it hasn't done damage there also.

For comparison here is the gap between the hood and the headlamp on the right side

This is much more uniform, but the damage is already done on the other side. I hope they will fix this a bit better than the fact that they are ignoring the seat concern. They claim its working perfectly, but they are denying the existence of the evidence in their own factory service manual as posted to their dealer service page, as well as other sources. I'm about at the end of my rope. I mean come on, its no where near as complicated as a dual clutch mechanism or the engine, but seriously is that the best they can come up with?

Here's the photo evidence of the damage at both ends. I haven't heard of anyone noticing any issues with the head lamp and the hood however.
I checked my front lights, and they seem okay on my build. I did notice a paint chip on the front of my hood ... just under the edge, which made me wonder "wtf..." but I can't see how the lights or even a hard slam would do that. I'll likely just Dr. Paint Chip that myself...

But as for the rear lights ... my rear passenger is the only one with the visible damage. But the rear driver side also has no clearance (as in paper can't slide) in the same spots... I just wonder if/when that may start to show damage. We'll see what the dealer can/cannot do.

Also, regarding a ford fix, if they do allow it, they should take an initial look, then off to a body shop (if they don't have one themselves) and provide you a rental/loaner while it is being fixed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks