Plasti Dip Help? (Interior) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
glassjoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100474
What I Drive: 2009 Red Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 glassjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Plasti Dip Help? (Interior)

Okay, so I have some really long story about what happened, but I'll spare you the details.

In short:
  • Dipped my friend's wheels, looked great, still do a week later. About 7 mins between coats.
  • Dipped my chrome grille piece on my '09 Focus, looks great, still does. About 7 mins between coats.
  • Attempted to dip my center console (the silver part with the drink holders), didn't turn out well. About 5 mins between coats.

I'm guessing that it's just because I was rushed for time and I didn't have time for it to cure since this was done at my friend's house late at night and only gave it an hour. The stuff had a felt-like texture to it, and it was not hard (not even after 12 hours) as the wheels and grille were shortly after painting. It took well over an hour to peel the weak coating off.

Should I prep the plastic piece before I repaint? If yes, what with? Also, is 30 mins between coats sufficient? How many coats do you suggest? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Duhamel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
Sand the entire surface with a light grit sandpaper, maybe 120 - 320 grit. Once the entire surface has been sanded, use a tacky cloth to wipe the entire surface after, of course, wiping off all debris and dust. Once it's been wiped off by the tacky cloth, grab your primer. Spray on primer, sandable, just about any primer in a spray can will do, I use the grey color. Primer dries quickly, much quicker than paint. The idea of applying ANY coat of paint in this manner is to make sure you lay your next coat while it is still "tacky", it shouldn't be completely dry as you want it to adhere to the previous coat and not just cover it. A good practice is 3 coats of primer, wait for it to dry and give it a light sanding with 320 or higher grit paper, then apply your paint/color. Number of coats for your color depends on how many you want. At least 3 coats of color, I wouldn't do any more than 5.

This method has proven itself over and over again. I used this method on my front grille and it is going strong for over a year without even one chip. I used Dupli Color gloss back. You may want to consider wet sanding or clear coat, especially if it's interior, but ultimately up to you.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Effected
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93697
What I Drive: 2009 red coupe SE Stick

FF Reputation: 1 Effected Good Standing Member
Plasti dip doesn't need to be prepped like that. Apply a super light coat like 25% transparency, let that sit for 10min then add more coats. Some
Surfaces don't like Plasti dip when it's layed down fast and heavy.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Lol, the proper way and the plasti-dip way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhamel View Post
Sand the entire surface with a light grit sandpaper, maybe 120 - 320 grit. Once the entire surface has been sanded, use a tacky cloth to wipe the entire surface after, of course, wiping off all debris and dust. Once it's been wiped off by the tacky cloth, grab your primer. Spray on primer, sandable, just about any primer in a spray can will do, I use the grey color. Primer dries quickly, much quicker than paint. The idea of applying ANY coat of paint in this manner is to make sure you lay your next coat while it is still "tacky", it shouldn't be completely dry as you want it to adhere to the previous coat and not just cover it. A good practice is 3 coats of primer, wait for it to dry and give it a light sanding with 320 or higher grit paper, then apply your paint/color. Number of coats for your color depends on how many you want. At least 3 coats of color, I wouldn't do any more than 5.

This method has proven itself over and over again. I used this method on my front grille and it is going strong for over a year without even one chip. I used Dupli Color gloss back. You may want to consider wet sanding or clear coat, especially if it's interior, but ultimately up to you.

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effected View Post
Plasti dip doesn't need to be prepped like that. Apply a super light coat like 25% transparency, let that sit for 10min then add more coats. Some
Surfaces don't like Plasti dip when it's layed down fast and heavy.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
it says on the can 30 min between coats, take you time dont rush and it will turn out great.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Duhamel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
Spraying coats of anything like this has two important techniques. One (most importantly) - you're only putting down a slightly thicker than over-spray layer of paint. Your putting as thin a coat of paint on but still covering the entire surface. Two - laying and layering the paint. You want to go halfway up on each pass over the next. Make one pass, then make your next pass halfway up the last.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
never prepped more than a wipe down with a dry towel for plastidip, even on my headlights (2000 lx), and it turns out great. just take your time and it'll look fantastic
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
glassjoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100474
What I Drive: 2009 Red Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 glassjoe Good Standing Member
Well dang, I waited over 30 minutes between coats, still came out rather fuzzy. I must have been too far away. It looks decent, and I'm gonna give it some time to cure. We'll see how it looks in 3 or 4 days. I might try to peel it off and start from scratch for a 3rd time and do heavy, closer sprays. Just a tad irritated because my friend's wheels and emblem came out so well, and so did my grille.

Anyways, I might get some pictures up soon, but I suggest it if you're looking to black out your interior. I think that the portion of the console with the cup holders / shift knob looks great black. I left the radio panel alone as it looked like a PITA to take out and also, it adds some nice contrast.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I honestly wouldn't plasti-dip anything in the interior. It's going to scuff off pretty easily.

I recommend Dupli Color Vinyl Paint. I've had my entire interior painted black with it for over two years with hardly any scuffing. And a quick touch up it just blends right in. Plasti-dip has too much texture.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Snyper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96688
What I Drive: 2009 Black SE

FF Reputation: 2 Snyper Good Standing Member
I plan on doing this when I get another can of Plasti Dip and figure out how to get that console off. But I'm going to be painting over the Dip, using it as a primer. I've already done it on one panel and it looks great and hasn't chipped yet.

With that said, any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->