2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 49 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #481
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

Points 767, Level 14
Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trans

I got just a message --no call as of yet from Crystal ====Ford rep)---says she cant call? Ill keep you guys posted... MJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #482
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I got just a message --no call as of yet from Crystal ====Ford rep)---says she cant call? Ill keep you guys posted... MJB
If she calls, I think you'll be the first. All she really needs is your VIN, mileage, dealer name etc and away she goes.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #483
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,106, Level 34
Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
Hey there, mjb457,

I just sent you a PM with some proposed next steps. Give it a peek and respond when you have a free moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
If she calls, I think you'll be the first. All she really needs is your VIN, mileage, dealer name etc and away she goes.
Yep, 6769MOPARS is exactly right. I just sail the forum seas, I don't get to hear all your lovely voices.

Thanks,
-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #484
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

Points 767, Level 14
Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Trans

I got PM from Ford Customer Care rep here to work with dealer as Ive done... alot of PM and at same point(go figure) Bob thanks for your tip..MJB

Last edited by mjb457; 09-26-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #485
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Hi All, is there any solution for shuddering from 1-2 gear and grinding noise. It's getting really annoying.
Is it normal? Dealers looked at it twice and reprogrammed it, still the same.
Everyone's answer, YES it's normal. I can't believe mechanical noise is now new normal, how come I didn't notice it when first got it.
I have 10400 miles, break in long gone. Any advice? Please help
Thx
Steve
Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #486
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
more information transmission problems/fixes

There is a facebook page called ford focus and you can find this under recent posts by others . I had never seen this subject come up before. Becky says the luggng/shuddering problem at low speeds is completely gone.

For Focus owners who are having issues with the car falling flat on it's face when shifting into 2nd gear, here is a condensed version of my repair sheet.....did some tests, noticed it went from 2nd to 5th, followed hotline suggestions, didnt fix the concern. Removed and swapped the clutch motors, concern still present. Added dye in engine. Let run. Ford field engineer was out, had him check vehicle, noticed slippage from clutch. Removed the transmission, no oil leak. installed flywheel, mount trans to the bench fixture. Remove clutch assembly. Found the throw out bearing washer has broken and the pieceds have bounced around inside the bellhousing. Remove both clucth actuators- no damage. cleaned actuators, cleaned bellhousing, installed new throw out bearing assy and clutch assy. Installed the trans, filled the fluid. Performed the relearn procedures and adaptive drive cycles. no more shifting issues. Also performing the relearn procedures and reteaching the trans a new shift strategy by performing the adaptive drive cycle twice.
It's driving nice and smooth and so far no hiccups. I'm not saying that this is the problem with them all- I'm just telling you what the dealer did to fix (so far!) my trans issues. (end of post)

Becky's post was new to me, hopefully this is a help to the many other 2012 focus owners with transmission problems.
(reposted with authors permission)...
Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #487
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, I found a lot of info online. They all pointing at "throw out bearing". But it's for noise only. That explains mechanical noise when gears engaging. But I don't understand hesitation on acceleration. It kind of stuttering when shifts from 1st to 2nd gear.
I am not familiar with these kind of trannies, I am though mechanically inclined. Did rebuild dads 03 ford focus trans last year. I am trying to get subscription from Alldatadiy site, but they don't have it yet. Probably it's to new.
Thx for input.
Steven
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #488
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Available Ford technical service bulletins for you

Please consult the link below for fixes already issued by ford that you can have the local dealer perform on the automatic dual clutch transmission.

http://www.automd.com/tsb/ford_m/focus_mm/2012_y/

I have had it all done and while "better" it is still not acceptable. By this I mean we all understand this is an automated dry clutch manual transmission and will NOT shift as smoothly as a liquid based torque converter.

But, when they say this is typical of all such transmissions, that is not true. I am a former VW GTI owner and I never once had a passenger ask "whats that noise" when the GTI exact same type transmission shifted.

They all stumble a bit on low speed shifts but the level of the fopcus stumble is completely unacceptable.

Consumer reports drives every car from every manufacturer that has this and only finds the focus unacceptable.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #489
rsullivan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104407
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 rsullivan Good Standing Member
Hey Steve, I FOUND YOU! LOL

My Focus had the throw out bearing problem. June of this year I had a Transmission Malfunction light come on and the gears were grinding and wouldnt engage and my tach was flying high. I had it towed because it was horrible sounding and I couldnt accelerate to drive home. After this is when my transmission started the major hesitations between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. The RPMs would also go really high for basic acceleration. This dealer visit and 2 subsequent visits were attributed to the trans computer module. On this third visit I insisted that it isnt a basica hesitation- it's one you have to hang on for fear of being broadsided turning left or rear ended at a light. But finally, after listening to my concerns and watching a video of the hesitation AND it finally acting up with a tech- Bill Brown in Livonia MI looked it over more than they had before. The tech described it brillantly- "the vehicle fell flat on it's face shifting into 2nd gear".

They took it apart and found the throw out bearing problem. We got it back last tuesday and it drives like it did when I bought it last June. It's smooth and quiet and shifts w/o the RMPs flying through the roof. I cross my fingers that this is the ultimate fix. I love this car and dont want to trade it in yet- but if the problem returns I made need too (and we are a Ford employed family). I am gaining confidence in it once again.

~Becky
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #490
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Sounds close to mine. Dealer agreed to take it on Wed, lets see what will happen. I will keep you guys posted. Someone definitely have to go inside that tranny to investigate. I am so sure that it's have nothing to do with reprogramming or relearning. When I bought it last September I didn't Learn it, all was fine till about 3kmiles. Then all went south, Iam at 10500 now and it's getting worse. I wil let you know what ford will say in coming days.
Thx
Steven

Bookmarks & Social Networks