Test drove one today - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Test drove one today

I have to say, the new Focus ST has met almost all of my expectations and exceeded a few. There's a silver Focus ST for sale in Harvey, LA. The hood gap is a much exaggerated issue IMO (didn't look out of place to me), but the trunk is kind of shallow. I love how this car blends in in plain colors (silver, black, white) it really doesn't stand out too much in silver and it's making me think I'd rather get one in white than Tangerine Scream. The seats are nice, however I was disappointed that the lumbar support is not adjustable like in the VW GTI (and some may find it snug, I was comfortable but my waist is less than 30").

I test drove a VW GTI less week and have found that there's not a whole lot of comparisons that have been offered so here are some pros and cons I noticed:
+The Ford Focus ST makes a much better engine sound. I love it.
+The Ford Focus' new car smell wasn't nearly as overbearing.
+I actually like the implementation of MFT. Very trick.
~The steering in the VW GTI felt a little bit more fluid to me. I didn't get to drive the Focus ST far enough to get used to the quick ratio of the steering, but it certainly felt strange, I think I could grow to like it once accustomed to it.
-The solidity and refinement everybody refers to when defending the GTI, it's there, even if only slightly. The doors feel slightly more substantial, make a slightly better sound when closing, but it's very negligible.
-The VW has a couple really nice touches like the gas-charged shock that holds the hood up. The engine compartment is way less cluttered and actually gives room to work on the engine. The Focus ST's engine cover and compartment altogether are incredible tacky in comparison (IMO).

Overall, I'd pick the Focus ST for two reasons: It's less expensive and I think the car sounds way better under throttle. The VW GTI is however the car to get if you want the most premium feeling car in this category.

I just thought I'd offer my opinion on how the two cars compare. I really like the Focus ST and will probably order one next year.

Shout out to Don Bohn Ford in Harvey, LA. Shane Petty was very nice and nobody in the dealership was pushy in any way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Hondaracer8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102671
What I Drive: 07 Focus Dtech 2.0 Automatic sedan

Points 348, Level 6
Points: 348, Level: 6 Points: 348, Level: 6 Points: 348, Level: 6
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Hondaracer8 Good Standing Member
Or you could compare myfordtouch and good game.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer8 View Post
Or you could compare myfordtouch and good game.
Good game? Are you suggesting it's overly complicated? Looked straight-forward to me. I normally set up whatever I need to (Nav, music, etc.) before I start driving and that I can change a song, adjust the climate control, or many other things using simply voice command is a really nice touch. Worked okay in the dealership, but I guess it's a YMMV sort of thing. If you're asking about the infotainment the GTI I drove was a base model, but the gauges and screen on the dash were much more easily legible than those in Focus ST.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,152, Level 72
Points: 12,152, Level: 72 Points: 12,152, Level: 72 Points: 12,152, Level: 72
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Thats a great comparision. Very similar to what the mag's are saying.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
turbofan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103996
What I Drive: 2004 VW Jetta TDI

FF Reputation: 2 turbofan Good Standing Member
What about power? I haven't been allowed to drive the ST yet (just a lowly salesman) but I used to sell VW and absolutely loved the GTI. I always thought it felt stronger than 200 hp and 207 torque. How does the ST feel in comparison in terms of acceleration?

I still can't get over the GTI's steering wheel... That thing is incredible.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Based on my own perception, the GTI felt like it pulled a little harder at low RPMs. The ST feels much more powerful in the mid range. While power is instantaneous in the GTI, the ST felt like it had a little (barely any) lag. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but this is only my opinion, I have little experience with turbocharged gasoline engines.

For my money I'm probably getting the ST for these reasons:
1. Focus ST sounds better under throttle. It sounds addictively good.
2. I can get the Focus ST configured how I want for less than $30,000 out the door (leather, nav, hids). The only way I could consider buying a GTI is if I could get $4,000+ for my trade
3. Cost of maintenance. If you DIY the oil filter is $15, $45+ for oil in the GTI.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
zippy75
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103236
What I Drive: 2007 BMW 335i

FF Reputation: 1 zippy75 Good Standing Member
I was thinking about the Titanium with a manual, but looks like an ST would be about the same price with a lot more power and a 6 speed. I'm afraid the ST might be a bit too much of a race car for a daily driver though. What do you think? Does the ride beat you up? I love performance cars, but I want something my girlfriend would be comfortable driving too.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

I didn't find the ride to be punishing, but it is firm. Probably not as comfortable as your BMW but definitely more comfortable than my 2006. The only comfort complaint I could see is for people with a wider frame (I'm small). Test drive both, but I'd regret not spending the extra money on a ST.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
turbofan
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpork View Post
Based on my own perception, the GTI felt like it pulled a little harder at low RPMs. The ST feels much more powerful in the mid range. While power is instantaneous in the GTI, the ST felt like it had a little (barely any) lag. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but this is only my opinion, I have little experience with turbocharged gasoline engines.

For my money I'm probably getting the ST for these reasons:
1. Focus ST sounds better under throttle. It sounds addictively good.
2. I can get the Focus ST configured how I want for less than $30,000 out the door (leather, nav, hids). The only way I could consider buying a GTI is if I could get $4,000+ for my trade
3. Cost of maintenance. If you DIY the oil filter is $15, $45+ for oil in the GTI.
Thanks for this, sorry for the delayed response.

BTW, let me know before you pull the trigger on one. My manager can get pretty aggressive price-wise, we might could make it worth your time to go through us instead. Have a color preference? I believe we have a red one coming in with all the goodies.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
turbofan
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy75 View Post
I was thinking about the Titanium with a manual, but looks like an ST would be about the same price with a lot more power and a 6 speed. I'm afraid the ST might be a bit too much of a race car for a daily driver though. What do you think? Does the ride beat you up? I love performance cars, but I want something my girlfriend would be comfortable driving too.
You'd be crying in your corn flakes if you buy a manual Titanium instead of the ST. For the same money? In 5 years, the ST will be worth $5k more than the Titanium. Better power, better interior, better seats (unless you're tubby)... just better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.