Looking for a little advice. First time buyer looking at an ST - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center

Ford Focus Purchasing Center Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Vorschlaghammer!
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104153
What I Drive: Ordered: 2013 oxford white focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Vorschlaghammer! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking for a little advice. First time buyer looking at an ST

Hey guys, Just found the boards here, and I've been reading a lot and learned a lot in the last few days. Was hoping I could get a little advice, because I'm about to pull the trigger, and don't want to get taken for a ride on my first new car purchase.

I've done some research, and I know what I want. The nearest dealer to me has an ST2 on the lot, with an MSRP price of 28,570. I've looked on Carsdirect.com, and it said the "target price" for the ST2 with the same options is 27,793.

I have excellent credit, and am able to get a loan through my credit union with no problems.

The car they have on the lot at the dealer near me has a moon roof, which I'm not super crazy about, so if the right price doesn't come along, I'd have no problem walking away. But knowing this, would it be feasible to have an ST ordered to the exact specs I want? I know most people put orders in months ago and are still waiting on them. Is this even a realistic option at this point in the game?

Unfortunately it's tough to get reliable pricing opinions online because the ST is so new to the market, and it seems like most of the people on here that are buying them are getting them with employee discounts that I am not eligible for.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for a bit of good info before I get fed to the sharks!

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
yes the dealership can order the car, they make not like it but they can. Also it's not too late in the game to order.

I'd approach is this way though. Walk in look at the ST etc and after awhile say I'll purchase at that price minus the sunroof. If you can't do that, then please order a new ST without a sunroof.

They can still order.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
You can always order a car from a dealer. Advantages are getting exactly what you want; disadvantages are having to wait.

Also, Ford has allocations for popular models, to make sure one dealer doesn't grab them all, and get them to the places that actually sell. I doubt you'd run into this with a Focus, but it's possible. Maybe the ST, right now, since it's just starting to be produced.

Dealers usually prefer to sell stock they already have in inventory, if for no other reason than they've borrowed money to stock it and they're paying interest. So you might have to twist their arm to place the order.

The reason most people that ordered their Focus ST months ago are still waiting is that Ford is just now (Oct 1) beginning to produce the ST3 variant (the 202A options package). There's a backlog of preorders from before the car was in production at all that they have to work through.

Even under good conditions, 8 weeks is not an unreasonable time to expect to wait if you order a car.

It's good that you can walk away. The ability to just say no is your best negotiating tool with the dealer.

I'm not a moonroof fan either, and I've seen exactly zero of the initial round of ST2s come out without a moonroof. Guess that's just what Ford chose to build in the first wave.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Vorschlaghammer!
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the advice it actually helped me a lot. I was able to place an order on an ST 2.

They had 2 in stock, and tangerine scream one (which there was no way I was buying) and the performance blue one that I came for. Unfortunately the blue one came from the factory with a broken second gear so they were replacing the transmission and I wasn't able to yes drive that one. I test drove the tangerine one and fell in love. Definitely knew I wanted the car at tha point. When we got back to the office he tried to offer me $33k. Which I laughed at. Told him I didn't want to buy a broken car with options that I didn't want to pay for at an unreasonable price. Argued for half an hour and ordered a white St2 with no sunroof for the price I wanted!

In 6-8 weeks I'll be one happy camper!

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorschlaghammer! View Post
Thanks for the advice it actually helped me a lot. I was able to place an order on an ST 2.

They had 2 in stock, and tangerine scream one (which there was no way I was buying) and the performance blue one that I came for. Unfortunately the blue one came from the factory with a broken second gear so they were replacing the transmission and I wasn't able to yes drive that one. I test drove the tangerine one and fell in love. Definitely knew I wanted the car at tha point. When we got back to the office he tried to offer me $33k. Which I laughed at. Told him I didn't want to buy a broken car with options that I didn't want to pay for at an unreasonable price. Argued for half an hour and ordered a white St2 with no sunroof for the price I wanted!

In 6-8 weeks I'll be one happy camper!

Thanks again guys!
I ordered the same car - blue ST2 w charcoal/blue interior and nothing else. I should have mine in 6-8 weeks as well. Congratulations - great choice.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Vorschlaghammer!
Focus Rookie

Congrats to you too man. I can't wait till I get to drive that thing home! I was lovin it in the test drive, but I just wanted to open it up and see what she really had! Haha. Gonna be a tough 8 weeks!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
SCTSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95272
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 SCTSVT Good Standing Member
Is it possible to order a Race red ST2 and get the tangerine scream interior in it?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTSVT View Post
Is it possible to order a Race red ST2 and get the tangerine scream interior in it?
Ronald McDonald, is that you? :)

Seriously, though -- the Ford configurator (see ford.com, find the Focus ST section and "Build and Price") does not allow that combination. Race Red forces the Smoke Storm inserts.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
SCTSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95272
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 SCTSVT Good Standing Member
That's what I figured but I was almost hoping since sometimes you can get special options with Ford products I could get a two tone with red paint. The black is just too boring for me. Hopefully Ford will offer red on red like my SVT currently is. Until then, I think I'm going to hold off and see if that's a late 2013 or 2014 option
Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
acbauza
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104447
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 acbauza Good Standing Member
My ST2 in Performance Blue has no moonroof, but it does have NAV. To be honest this is the last car I will get Nav in.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
You can always order a car from a dealer. Advantages are getting exactly what you want; disadvantages are having to wait.

Also, Ford has allocations for popular models, to make sure one dealer doesn't grab them all, and get them to the places that actually sell. I doubt you'd run into this with a Focus, but it's possible. Maybe the ST, right now, since it's just starting to be produced.

Dealers usually prefer to sell stock they already have in inventory, if for no other reason than they've borrowed money to stock it and they're paying interest. So you might have to twist their arm to place the order.

The reason most people that ordered their Focus ST months ago are still waiting is that Ford is just now (Oct 1) beginning to produce the ST3 variant (the 202A options package). There's a backlog of preorders from before the car was in production at all that they have to work through.

Even under good conditions, 8 weeks is not an unreasonable time to expect to wait if you order a car.

It's good that you can walk away. The ability to just say no is your best negotiating tool with the dealer.

I'm not a moonroof fan either, and I've seen exactly zero of the initial round of ST2s come out without a moonroof. Guess that's just what Ford chose to build in the first wave.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.