Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to: Add an Auto Dimming Mirror

18K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  andresmorago 
#1 ·
Reactions: flingwing1969
#5 ·
As long as you have the plug for the mirror (and a little of the mirror wire harness to attach more easily to) I don't see why not. This mirror is from a Chrysler 300 and works fine. But make sure that the bracket on the mirror you get will fit on the Focus stud attached to the windshield, or you'll have a problem.

If you go to a junk yard, or ebay even, you should be able to get a working mirror for under $50. My friend has a salvage yard, so he just gave me the one I used, I just had to spend 5 mins and take it out.

Good Luck, any questions I'll be glad to help.

#6 ·
I wonder if my Ti has the wiring already for the auto dimming mirror, I got the one with cloth seats so I didnt get the mirror, but I would love to add an auto dimming mirror. I've seen some good ones for under 100$ that are just Auto dimming with nothing else (already have compass/temp/homelink) which would work out great and be cheap.

#7 · (Edited)
A couple ways to check:
1) Take a voltmeter, if you have one, and find the auto dimming mirror, rain sensing wipers, humidity sensor fuse (In owners manual) and check it for power. My SE has the fuse in the fuse block, but is not powered...and does not have the harness.

2) Take down the front of the headliner and look up in there. To do this, remove the passenger assist handle (2 torx screws). Remove pass sunvisor (I think 3 torx screws, 2 in sunvisor and 1 in clip). Unclip/ unscrew overhead console. To do this, open the sunglasses holder and look up at the overhead console from the windshield side and you'll see a couple slots for a straight screwdriver to go in. Gently unclip the console and there will be 2 screws up inside holding it to the roof. Once that's done you can pull the headliner down enough to look up inside it. Sounds confusing but takes maybe 15mins.

#8 ·
Just to bump this. Went to the junkyard today and pulled a Ford (Gentex) auto-dimming mirror with no other fanciness from a first gen Expedition. It had the same wedge mount that we do (though I can't quite get it to "click", I'm not comfortable pushing that hard).

Wired it up perfectly as well as my radar detector. Came out great thanks to this guide, and boy is it an improvement.

Thanks again!

#9 ·
Just to bump this. Went to the junkyard today and pulled a Ford (Gentex) auto-dimming mirror with no other fanciness from a first gen Expedition. It had the same wedge mount that we do (though I can't quite get it to "click", I'm not comfortable pushing that hard).

Wired it up perfectly as well as my radar detector. Came out great thanks to this guide, and boy is it an improvement.

Thanks again!

Is the arm on the expedition mirror long enough that the whole mirror is useable and doesn't get cut off by the overhead console? My Chrysler one is a little too short.

Glad the guide was useful.

#14 ·
More then enough. You do realize rear view mirrors are on two articulating balls usually. You should be able to adjust the angle of your mirrors arm. Go tug on it.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using FF Mobile 2
Yes, the arm on the Chrysler mirror is physically shorter than the Focus mirror. I didn't think to measure it before installing. I'll look at my friends junkyard next time I'm there and see if there's something else with a Gentex mirror w/ a longer arm I can directly plug in.

Just a quick question. What is the power source were tapping into, specifically.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using FF Mobile 2
I'm not sure. I used a voltmeter and checked the plug until I found one (there's actually two) pins that are only accessory powered. I'll see if I can get a pin-out from the Ford dealer when I'm there Saturday.

#16 ·
Hello
Sorry for bumping this old thread. I would like to consult something.
I already installed a Gentex mirror. Its a simple one with only 2 wires (+ and -).
I also already routed wired through the A pillar trim panel and got to the fuse box. Im using a add-a-circuit wire.

im usure about which fuse shold i use[???:)]
here is my car fuse setup attached on image below.

F87 is for a heated steering wheel, which i dont have.
F88 has blades, no fuse.
F20 is for the sunroof, which i dont have

I already tried F88. It has power but i dont see car cutting voltage after closing and locking door. Maybe im not being patient enough?

Thanks!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.