Modified a Ford Fusion Key for my 2001 Focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
sunyfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38913
What I Drive: 2001 red zx3 2.0L DOHC

FF Reputation: 1 sunyfoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Modified a Ford Fusion Key for my 2001 Focus

I spent about 5 hours researching before deciding I wanted to take the jump and give it a try. Using a 2006 Ford Fusion Key/Fob combo I was able to program the remote to my car and plant a pats chip inside it so that it will start the car without taping one under the dash.

Here is the key

Cost breakdown.
1- 2006 Ford Fusion key -$49 (Amazon)
1- 2001 Ford Focus key -$11 (Amazon) (This will be the pats donor key)
1- Price to have key cut at locksmith - $5

Total - $65

Now for how I did it and the problems encountered.

Step 1. Program the new Fusion key remote buttons (it worked even though it has the x2 trunk button)

Step 2. Program the pats Focus key and pull out the pats chip from the top

Step 3. Cut the new Fusion key (gasp) I know this isn't for the faint of heart but someone has to do it (I used a dremel and a box cutter, drilling might be easier). With the battery cover off mark a space big enough for the pats chip to fit. I cut this part with the circuit board in the key but I recommend removing it as you will have to modify that later and you don't want to damage the board like I did.

In this pic you can see where I cut the key to stuff the pats chip into it.

I cut all the way through this side of the key but left the opening snug enough to hold the pats chip. The key is so fat you can fit the pats chip no problem.

Step 4. I learned that you must do this step or your work is pointless. The IKT chip from the Fusion key will cause interference with your pats chip and thus it will not work! To fix this problem you need to take the circuit board and remove the rectangular black box that has no markings, needle nose pliers are the best tool for this.

Step 5. Reassemble the key just as it came and go start your car, you now have a working Ford Fusion integrated key fob for your Ford Focus.

Final notes- The key I received had been closed with some rather strong adhesive so getting the front off to take out the circuit board required almost destroying it. Fortunately empty cases for these keys cost $5 so If I decided I don't like the scratched up case I will do that.
Hope this clears up some confusion as I couldn't find if anyone had ever done this before and provided a write up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I like the switchblade key one user fixed to work with his car, but you can also purchase that key design for $20 with electronics. I'm going to see if we can find somewhere to put all these key How-Tos.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks