2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 26 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #251
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[QUOTE=B-lou;4370081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
A 2012 Focus Titanium MSRPs for 24, 640 USD fully loaded.

KBB has this for a decent shape, 13,500 mile 2012 Titanium also fully loaded

For shots and giggles, here are some more.

A 2012 Honda Civic EX is 21,445 (KBB isn't showing the EXL so I didn't use it)

The Focus isn't that bad, it isn't that good; it's just average for keeping its value.

It's a first year car of a brand new model. I'd be shocked if it did hold value.

This isn't a Ferrari FXX. This won't gain in value as time goes on. It's a damn economy car that is sold by the truck load.

You think our depreciation is bad? Take a look at some luxury Marques and then come back and cry to us about resale value.

If resale value bothers you so much, buy used. You will clearly save a lot.

Otherwise stop the whining.

This isn't a Focus specific issue that some of you seem hell bent on believing.[/QUOTE
I traded in my fully loaded titanium 2 months ago for 20G...now the trade in value is 16800...looks like the value is dropping rapidly to me....went to the ford dealer I traded to and was talking to the salesman about a 12 focus and he had my old focus plus 5 other focuses on the lot with less than 12000miles, ask why so many answer people trading up, then ask for a service history on my ex focus and he came back with a autocheck that was all green checks even under accidents where I know it was in one, when I told him that was a car I traded in an that autocheck was worthless he just walked away .....B-lou
So you're using the example of one dealer to make a judgement for how all the dealers work?

Nice, excellent logic.

Maybe YOUR car is dropping specifically because of its history. Maybe the market in your area has those kinds of prices to begin with.

Who knows.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!

Last edited by MyThIc3LiTe; 09-24-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #252
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,294, Level 41
Points: 4,294, Level: 41 Points: 4,294, Level: 41 Points: 4,294, Level: 41
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lou View Post
Prove you are right....B-lou
You are the one making wild claims about the quality, and would actually be able to get the information on court. I can't, I have nothing to bring them to court over in order to get the warranty claims data subpoenaed. It has to come from somebody with a problem. You have a great case against ford based on your story, you should have had the NHTSA review your cars black box.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #253
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,758, Level 94
Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
[QUOTE=B-lou;4370081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
A 2012 Focus Titanium MSRPs for 24, 640 USD fully loaded.

KBB has this for a decent shape, 13,500 mile 2012 Titanium also fully loaded

For shots and giggles, here are some more.

A 2012 Honda Civic EX is 21,445 (KBB isn't showing the EXL so I didn't use it)

The Focus isn't that bad, it isn't that good; it's just average for keeping its value.

It's a first year car of a brand new model. I'd be shocked if it did hold value.

This isn't a Ferrari FXX. This won't gain in value as time goes on. It's a damn economy car that is sold by the truck load.

You think our depreciation is bad? Take a look at some luxury Marques and then come back and cry to us about resale value.

If resale value bothers you so much, buy used. You will clearly save a lot.

Otherwise stop the whining.

This isn't a Focus specific issue that some of you seem hell bent on believing.[/QUOTE
I traded in my fully loaded titanium 2 months ago for 20G...now the trade in value is 16800...looks like the value is dropping rapidly to me....went to the ford dealer I traded to and was talking to the salesman about a 12 focus and he had my old focus plus 5 other focuses on the lot with less than 12000miles, ask why so many answer people trading up, then ask for a service history on my ex focus and he came back with a autocheck that was all green checks even under accidents where I know it was in one, when I told him that was a car I traded in an that autocheck was worthless he just walked away .....B-lou
Why would you even do that? It doesn't make sense for any normal person that isn't trying to start crap.

Vehicle history reports aren't magically updated right away, and sometimes aren't at all. Your dealer doesn't have control of what comes up on them, and trying to blame Ford for something a third-party handles is worthless.

I traded in a vehicle that I wrecked, and out of curiosity pulled the vehicle history report a few months later...clean. Way to go Carfax, not Ford.

Sent from my stupid phone.
2014 FiST-
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #254
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
It seems to me that anyone that wants to change cars after 1 or 2 years needs to be leasing instead of buying. The value of the lease at the end of the term is not the trade in value but the retail estimate. So, the depreciation is what you pay, less rebates, less the estimated value at the end of the lease. The lease payment is basically financing the remainder of that equation. This is why one can lease a Lincoln or Cadillac for less than a plain Jane Ford or Chevy.

If you want to change vehicles after 1 or 2 years then lease it, plain and simple. If you don't want to do that, well then, no more complaints.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #255
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Agreed about leasing. It seems that some of the people who are trading just don't like their Focus' as much as they thought they would...they probably did not plan to jump ship so soon.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #256
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
It seems to me that anyone that wants to change cars after 1 or 2 years needs to be leasing instead of buying. The value of the lease at the end of the term is not the trade in value but the retail estimate. So, the depreciation is what you pay, less rebates, less the estimated value at the end of the lease. The lease payment is basically financing the remainder of that equation. This is why one can lease a Lincoln or Cadillac for less than a plain Jane Ford or Chevy.

If you want to change vehicles after 1 or 2 years then lease it, plain and simple. If you don't want to do that, well then, no more complaints.
Basically, this.

And most places will let you out of the lease no questions asked and at worst they will find someone who can take over the payments for you.

Either way, people who flip cars often are better off doing that.

Don't blame Ford for the shenanigans of 3rd party value estimates and individual dealers who also have a profit to make.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #257
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,758, Level 94
Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
[QUOTE=B-lou;4370557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Then why would they not give me a history report from fords database like I asked for....they had one within 5 minutes of me trading it in and everything was on it...no third party straight from a ford dealer....B-lou
So everything was on it the first time? You just said nothing was on it in your previous post. Furthermore, how would Ford have record that you wrecked your car?

Either way, if you accept dealership history reports as evidence, then you are still doing the car-buying process wrong. Carfax is the only legitimate place that I am aware of.

Sent from my stupid phone.
2014 FiST-
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #258
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

[QUOTE=B-lou;4370557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Then why would they not give me a history report from fords database like I asked for....they had one within 5 minutes of me trading it in and everything was on it...no third party straight from a ford dealer....B-lou
Um maybe because Ford doesn't manage CarFax?

It's up to dealers to report things like services and what not if they want to, my Lincoln had a good history of that, but otherwise it's the DMV and insurance that handle updating it when things go wrong or when it's in an accident or whatever.

Just cause you had claimed issues doesn't mean the dealer has any real obligation to throw them on there. As difficult as it may be for you to believe.

You seem to think that Ford holds some magical wand of power and controls a majority of this...they don't.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #259
CajunR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97246
What I Drive: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100

FF Reputation: 5 CajunR Good Standing Member
B-lou,
I don't want to offend anyone here by speaking out of turn, but I think we pretty much all get it now: You bought a Focus. It sucked. Nothing worked.

-The engine once jumped out of the engine bay and burned up all your anytime minutes by making calls to Budapest.
-The front struts once used your credit card to buy a Jet Ski.
-The car would randomly leave the road to run over helpless bunnies who were posing for a calander whose proceeds were to be used to help feed starving monkeys.
-The transmission once mugged an old lady, pooped in her purse, and then gave the purse to your wife as a Valentine's gift.

It was afwul, but you don't need to spend any more time telling us about it. We get it.

Thanks,
The Internet.
I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #260
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,835, Level 32
Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32 Points: 2,835, Level: 32
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member