my 08 is only getting 4mpg!!! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
OK so she is getting somewhere around 8mpg if its only 100 miles on. tank.

I do a see. few useless responses but we would like to help her get it fixed. you may as well change the fuel filter anyway at this mileage, but the MPG she is getting means it HAS to be running rich or has a fuel leak somewhere.

also you say it runs great for a four banger.... that may be true, but does it run great for that engine?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
BlueFlik
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103620
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFlik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd look for a leak.. that's the only way I could see a Focus (or most any new car) hit 4mpg, or even 8 for that matter, while still "running very good."
Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
I thought you had to drop the tank? the only way i see her getting 4mpg is her resetting the thing everytime she gets in the car.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
even when i was 18 and destroying my d20 on a daily basis i still saw 18mpg. are you sure shes not dring around with it down in 1 all the time?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
even driving bat shit crazy with smoke rolling off the tires and clutch my 08 returns a healty 26 mpg. under normal driving a respectable 36 mpg combined.
even on the coldest of days when the car runs rich trying to get the cats up to temp...
the duty cycle on an injector would have to be 100% for such poor mileage.

Rep Points dont add themselves
Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I am not sure where your sister parks her car but have her check the fuel level after she parks her car and then again when she gets back in it. Do this for a few days, unless you have driven the car for like 50miles at a time and just seen the gas level just drop.

See if there is a fluctuation in the level; this should eliminate leak or theft. Start with the easiest first, as this is free and something she can check herself.

I cant see the car running normal with that terrible of mpg, something major has to be wrong. Can someone with an 08+ verify the fuel filter is in the same location as the 00-07's? If it is, its a job that you can do yourself. The filter is pretty inexpensive, vs a shop charging $100 for the job.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
superdutyscaler
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104009
What I Drive: 2004 F350

FF Reputation: 1 superdutyscaler Good Standing Member
rambleon84 the fuel filter on her 08 is on the passenger side right in front of the tank up in this little cavity in the floor. The filter was only 7bucks but trying to get the dumb fuel lines off took me almost thirty minutes! The out-line wassimply sinceithad play but the two lines from the tank, there was no slack at all and them stupid plastic retainers that faced down soyou couldnt fit your hand between the body and filter was freaking ridiculous. But i got it all in and fired it up and took a ride, the power was very smooth, felt good for a small motor and the slight shake the car had when it warmed up is now gone.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
superdutyscaler
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104009
What I Drive: 2004 F350

FF Reputation: 1 superdutyscaler Good Standing Member
but this morning she called and had bad news, shes when of them i start my car and sit in it for twenty minutes and text my friends before i go to work kind of girls but anyways while she was doing this she said the dash goes out then comes back on about two or three times??? What the heck could be wrong, short? And she said while it was idling for twenty minutes the MPG gauge went from 25.7mpg down to 3mpg and then back up to 26mpg and then back to 7mpg??
Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #19
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
that's a new one for me.

Possible issue with the cluster, ground issue, wiring to the fuel level sender, ecm, bcm etc. (yeah I know... that totally doesn't help)

This may explain why she is only getting 100 miles out of a tank. Technically it is still pretty full is my guess. Not so sure she wants to find out though. I wouldn't blame her.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyscaler View Post
rambleon84 the fuel filter on her 08 is on the passenger side right in front of the tank up in this little cavity in the floor. The filter was only 7bucks but trying to get the dumb fuel lines off took me almost thirty minutes! The out-line wassimply sinceithad play but the two lines from the tank, there was no slack at all and them stupid plastic retainers that faced down soyou couldnt fit your hand between the body and filter was freaking ridiculous. But i got it all in and fired it up and took a ride, the power was very smooth, felt good for a small motor and the slight shake the car had when it warmed up is now gone.
Lol I have always heard we can not swap out our fuel filter? That it is a bs "lifetime one"
Galatians 6:14

Bookmarks & Social Networks