2012 5-Door tail lamp scratching body - Page 15 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #141
Holden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90783
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Holden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just looked at a new ST today, and I noticed what seemed to be the same damn problem: the right side assembly's leading edge was comfortably above the body paint, but the left assembly's leading edge had "flashing" on it which seemed to be digging into the paint (I could get my fingernails under the right side easily, but not the left).

So I guess Quality is NOT Job 1 these days...

That won't keep me from buying an ST, but I'd probably borrow a Dremel within days of purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #142
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Just looked at my car ... and the passenger side tail lamp has some damage visible. (Hard to tell on mine at first, I have the silver paint) Then I went around to the driver side to compare ... unlike some of you, my driver side has the same 'issue'. The damage isn't as visible, you have to move the tail lamp to see it, but it is definitely there.

While I am not overly concerned at this second, the next time it goes to the dealer for an oil change (only reason I let them do it is I have 3 years free for purchasing the dang thing), I'll definitely be on them about it. Plus I gotta get the front passenger sides struts (or strut bearings) replaced (already did the driver side with the TSB)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #143
nosmokingbandit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66954
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-Door, Candy Red

FF Reputation: 3 nosmokingbandit Good Standing Member
I called my dealer back today. The guy who 'fixed' my car was very terse and just told me to call the body shop down the road. Wouldn't give me any info other than to ask for Mike. So I did and left them a message. Waiting to hear back.

I'm very disappointed in how they are handling this. This a-hole shouldn't have his job if he doesn't want to put any effort into it. There are dozens of people who can do that job better and need a job. If I were in charge I wouldn't tolerate BS like this.

I bought my car from the owner, so if they don't get this taken care of by the end of the week I'm going to drive over and talk to her directly.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #144
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1 View Post
I took mine in about 3 months ago for this and a few other things. Most things, including this went unresolved so I pulled the light yesterday to fix it myself and I now have paint damage so back to the dealer it goes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmokingbandit View Post
Just saw this issue on my 2012. I'll be calling my dealer tuesday (stupid holiday weekend). The paint is clearly chipping off, so I'm hoping they can repait that and blend it in fairly well...
Quote:
Nope. They get one chance. They will not be touching my car ever again. Nor will they sell me a car ever again (we've bought there several times in the past)...Unless I can't take it to a different dealer (like I said, I know nothing about warranty work)...
Quote:
My main concern is the damaged paint. I don't want that to continue to flake off now that the topcoat is broken, and I wan't to make sure that no damage happens to the primer that would cause it to rust years from now...I'm going to cal them monday and see what we can do. Wish me luck.
Quote:
I called my dealer back today. The guy who 'fixed' my car was very terse and just told me to call the body shop down the road...I'm very disappointed in how they are handling this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
Just looked at my car ... and the passenger side tail lamp has some damage visible. (Hard to tell on mine at first, I have the silver paint) Then I went around to the driver side to compare ... unlike some of you, my driver side has the same 'issue'. The damage isn't as visible, you have to move the tail lamp to see it, but it is definitely there...
Hi jerry1, nosmokingbandit, HuskerFocus:

I want to escalate each of you to your region's Customer Service Manager. They'll work hand-in-hand with your individual dealers to get your concerns resolved. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer and a good daytime contact phone number; I'll get things moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
I just looked at a new ST today, and I noticed what seemed to be the same damn problem: the right side assembly's leading edge was comfortably above the body paint, but the left assembly's leading edge had "flashing" on it which seemed to be digging into the paint (I could get my fingernails under the right side easily, but not the left)...
Hi Holden,

Congrats on the decision to get an ST! Please give your dealer a heads up if you're seeing flaking paint; they'll want to address it immediately. Let me know when your ST rolls into the driveway. I'd love to see pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besbro View Post
I have the same issue. I took the assembly off, used my dremal to sand/grind a 1/16 off where it was rubbing, touched up the paint, and I'm good to go. I will mention it to my dealer but I'm glad it's fixed.
Nice job on the DIY fix! Letting your dealer know about the problem is a great next step.

Thanks everyone!
-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #145
nosmokingbandit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66954
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-Door, Candy Red

FF Reputation: 3 nosmokingbandit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi jerry1, nosmokingbandit, HuskerFocus:

I want to escalate each of you to your region's Customer Service Manager. They'll work hand-in-hand with your individual dealers to get your concerns resolved. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer and a good daytime contact phone number; I'll get things moving.
I'm actually going to the body shop tomorrow morning so they can give me an estimate to turn into the dealer (something I thought they would coordinate a little better, but we're making progress). I'll see how that goes before we take the next step, if that's ok. Unless you need to do your thing, then by all means I'll be happy to provide whatever info you need. Let me know, its up to you.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #146
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
I just checked and I have this problem as well, although not as noticeable as others. If I fix the light myself (backout some adjusting pin?) will Ford still warranty the paint? Am I even covered since I bought used with 2k miles on it?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #147
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I'm actually going to the body shop tomorrow morning so they can give me an estimate to turn into the dealer (something I thought they would coordinate a little better, but we're making progress). I'll see how that goes before we take the next step, if that's ok. Unless you need to do your thing, then by all means I'll be happy to provide whatever info you need. Let me know, its up to you.
Keep me in the loop and let me know how things go. If you're happy with how things are progressing, then so am I.

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #148
Holden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90783
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Holden Good Standing Member
This is turning up on STs now, as well. Amazing that this is still an issue into the second model year...

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-rep...g-paint-2.html
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #149
5spdti
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102203
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 5spdti Good Standing Member
How to...

Is anyone willing to post a step by step process on how to properly remove the taillight assembly on the hatchback? Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #150
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdti View Post
Is anyone willing to post a step by step process on how to properly remove the taillight assembly on the hatchback? Thanks!!
It's really easy. Each tail lamp is held in place by two plastic wing nuts. Simply remove each one and the tail lamp comes right off.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks