Purchase of 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
killerkoolaid37
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104093
What I Drive: Red 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

FF Reputation: 1 killerkoolaid37 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Purchase of 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

Good Afternoon!

I was recently shopping for a new car, and after much discussion with my mechanic and most of my gearhead friends, I've decided to go ahead and go for the 2013 Focus SE Hatchback. I'm wondering if I could speak to a salesperson to discuss what I could expect when trying to purchase the car as I've never purchased a new car before. I would also like to see if there are any tips I might get in order to try and get the best deal and ask questions about what I would expect to pay monthly when all is said and done as I'm unsure what the final total would be after taxes, tags, freight, warranty options, etc.

The vehicle I've been looking at is listed on the dealer's website as right around $16000 (Or close enough as to not matter.) The car is a manual transmission Focus SE Hatchback with the Winter Package. I understand that the price that's listed is assuming that I would qualify for all incentives, which I'm certain that I don't. I'd like to also go over if possible what incentives are available in my area and how to ensure I qualify for them.

Lastly, I'd like to go over with someone how my credit score would affect the price and what it will do to my monthly payment, IE, if I have X Credit, I should expect Y APR on the contract.

I'd like to assume that I'll have about $3000 for a down payment, including cash in hand and trade-in value of my 2002 PT Cruiser.

Oh and PS: Should I even try and haggle the price down?

PPS: Have car purchase contracts been known to have early payoff penalties in them?

I understand these are a lot of questions but I would appreciate any help I could get. If any additional information is needed please let me know. Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
BlueFlik
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103620
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFlik Good Standing Member
Hi, welcome to the site. Congrats on choosing a Focus, I'm sure you be happy with it.
For most of your questions, I'll let the professionals deal with them, but the one I can help you with is your PPS. I've never heard of such a penalty. If they try to include one, call them out on it.
Good luck!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
killerkoolaid37
Focus Rookie

Thanks, I appreciate it! Yeah I'm hoping to talk to a dealer about this so he/she may be able to look at things on their systems and be able to tell me this information before I go in and get potentially blindsided. It's not that I don't trust dealers, I just don't necessarily trust the one I'm buying from. I used to work for a bank selling mortgages and other loans, so I kinda know how it can be on the other end. :)
Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 85212
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkoolaid37 View Post
Good Afternoon!

I was recently shopping for a new car, and after much discussion with my mechanic and most of my gearhead friends, I've decided to go ahead and go for the 2013 Focus SE Hatchback. I'm wondering if I could speak to a salesperson to discuss what I could expect when trying to purchase the car as I've never purchased a new car before. I would also like to see if there are any tips I might get in order to try and get the best deal and ask questions about what I would expect to pay monthly when all is said and done as I'm unsure what the final total would be after taxes, tags, freight, warranty options, etc.

The vehicle I've been looking at is listed on the dealer's website as right around $16000 (Or close enough as to not matter.) The car is a manual transmission Focus SE Hatchback with the Winter Package. I understand that the price that's listed is assuming that I would qualify for all incentives, which I'm certain that I don't. I'd like to also go over if possible what incentives are available in my area and how to ensure I qualify for them.

Lastly, I'd like to go over with someone how my credit score would affect the price and what it will do to my monthly payment, IE, if I have X Credit, I should expect Y APR on the contract.

I'd like to assume that I'll have about $3000 for a down payment, including cash in hand and trade-in value of my 2002 PT Cruiser.

Oh and PS: Should I even try and haggle the price down?

PPS: Have car purchase contracts been known to have early payoff penalties in them?

I understand these are a lot of questions but I would appreciate any help I could get. If any additional information is needed please let me know. Thanks!!!
If you have the VIN of the specific vehicle that will help me out. As far as APR rates it's difficult to say what you will get because different banks in different areas offer varying APR's. I've seen people here get as low as 1.49% on a car loan but like I said, I would get pre-approved through your credit union then see if the dealer can meet or beat it.

For $16,000 that probably assumes RCL rebate, college grad, etc to get to that price. As an employee I cannot even buy an SE hatch for $16,000 so there is some manipulation of numbers there.

Early payoff penalties in my state are illegal, check with your state to see but I think that would be rare.
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
scot254
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103831
What I Drive: 2013 Focus- 2011 Corvette- 2004 GTO

FF Reputation: 1 scot254 Good Standing Member
16k is a very low price, if they don't stick to that or go over 17.5K walk away. Don't know your credit but I wouldn't let them bait and switch me, 16K is again very low.

Also make sure they aren't charging you crazy for GAP or other things. Look at the final montly payments and multiply it out and make your decision from there. Dealers love to sell cars for cheap and get you on other aspects.

At 16k and a horrible 6% interest with 3K trade in your payment should be around $267.00 / 60 months.

Also...If you want GAP make sure to talk to your insurance company first. I know on one of my cars it was $20 a year through insurance, but I got suckered into paying $10 a month from the dealership workup.

2011 Corvette -Torch Red - A6-Cam, Headers, Exhaust---419/415 RW N/A
2013 Ford Focus -Metallic Grey
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
killerkoolaid37
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot254 View Post
16k is a very low price, if they don't stick to that or go over 17.5K walk away. Don't know your credit but I wouldn't let them bait and switch me, 16K is again very low.

Also make sure they aren't charging you crazy for GAP or other things. Look at the final montly payments and multiply it out and make your decision from there. Dealers love to sell cars for cheap and get you on other aspects.

At 16k and a horrible 6% interest with 3K trade in your payment should be around $267.00 / 60 months.

Also...If you want GAP make sure to talk to your insurance company first. I know on one of my cars it was $20 a year through insurance, but I got suckered into paying $10 a month from the dealership workup.
Re: the 16K Price, let me clarify, that's 16K w/ all of the incentives added on. As it stands it'll probably be closer to 17K as I don't qualify for the military or college grad incentives (though maybe the college one if my gf signs w/ me...)

Bookmarks & Social Networks