2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 48 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #471
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
This was my 2nd trip in this time with check engone light and only mild failure of shifting, the first time I lost 3 forward gears and reverse.
Now that is not normal, nor within the scope of DCT-AT differences. This is what worries me is that Ford is not paying enough attention to the people who have real problems because of all the ones who don't have problems but think that they do. I've seen that situation more than once on this board, and so far as I can tell the best thing to do is to work with our FCS resource here.

Then we move on to the issue that I'm sure you know well- you have to be able to replicate the problem. Driving in sport mode shouldn't cause any problems, and that's definitely not a "shudder". Nobody on here has reported a CEL due to the shuddering, nor have there been any reports of missing gears from what I've read. We've had a couple of failed internal bearings, and some ridiculous upshift problems, but not failure to shift into gear.

Look at it this way- you're under warranty as it is, so if you think sport mode was causing your problems then put it to the test. 2 things will happen: you won't have any more problems, or you'll figure out how to replicate the problem you did have so you can have it diagnosed under warranty. The last thing I'd think you'd want to do is to treat the car with kid gloves so that it survives until after the warranty expires. If there's some sort of physical (not software) problem with the transmission, then it would be good to get it taken care of now.

I know...... if I were in your boat I'd find it hard to resist being tender with the car so that I wouldn't end up ragging it out so that it did die off just after warranty. That's a toss of the coin- I know. It's hard to tell which way is the right way to treat the situation.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #472
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
... so far as I can tell the best thing to do is to work with our FCS resource here...
Thanks for the endorsement, whynotthinkwhynot!

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #473
cal50
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8140
What I Drive: 2 cars!

FF Reputation: 1 cal50 Good Standing Member
Got an update on my clutch replacement on the 2012 focus~

Fluid contamination damaged the clutches ( per the service rep) and it will be a few more days to repair. I was told they had " a couple others" in for service like mine.

My vehicle build date was the month of September.
Perhaps a bad month....( I work for Ford btw).
Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #474
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Trans

I have my appointment in am.... I did call Ford per site.... ( a little different than Chrysler---no case # given..or record...huh... ) Ill post results tommorrow nite.... Im optomistic though... Thanks MJB
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #475
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I have my appointment in am.... I did call Ford per site.... ( a little different than Chrysler---no case # given..or record...huh... ) Ill post results tommorrow nite.... Im optomistic though... Thanks MJB
Hi mjb457,

Be sure to fill us in on how things go at the dealership. I'm happy to step in and see how I can assist, just shoot me a PM with some details (VIN, mileage, dealer, phone number) and I'll get on the case!

-Crystal

Old 09-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #476
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Trans

I went to dealer... they checked it out.... said all updates are there..so basically nothing done,,,,, ( Im going to drive it abit & see how it goes) It sometimetimes shakes on take off still... Ford rep?? not sure how I contact you on here...thanks MJB

Last edited by mjb457; 09-25-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #477
FirstTimeFocusOwner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104212
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 FirstTimeFocusOwner Good Standing Member
Hello all,

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SE back in April of 2012 (just over 5 months now). In the first month, I noticed a few times I would pull up to a stop sign, stop, and then experience no response from the engine, followed by an uncomfortable jolt of acceleration.

Shortly after, I received something in the mail informing me of a Technical Service Bulletin for the Powertrain Control Module to resolve this issue and the rolling backward issue. After putting it off for a little bit, I scheduled an appointment in July to have the TSB performed.

The Service Advisor was very helpful and sympathetic, and explained that even after the fix it may take a little to "learn" my driving and break in. Actually, everything seemed to be fixed immediately after driving it home. However, a couple months later now, and I am noticing the issue has been coming back intermittently (and worse than before the TSB).

I first noticed it when waiting to turn left into my neighborhood. I had a very reasonably-sized gap between on-coming vehicles that turned into a moment of brief panic when I let off the brake and attempted to give it gas -- I rolled into on-coming traffic but there was no acceleration. After what was probably only a second (that felt much longer at the time), it kicked in and jolted me through the turn and into my neighborhood without incident.

I have also been experiencing very troubling shuddering when accelerating from a stop. This seems to be worsened with a car full of people; this is also - quite frankly - very embarrassing, as I work as a vendor to another car company and get enough grief for buying a Ford to begin with.

I now have a follow-up appointment scheduled for October 1st after visiting the dealership to complain. The Service Advisor did not offer anything but to take a look at it, but I would like to know:

1) Are the serious acceleration delays and the shuddering when accelerating caused by the same issue?

2) What can the Dealer do to attempt to fix this? If they are simply going to "reflash" my PCM, isn't this what the initial TSB was for? I ask because I don't want to be back at the Dealership every couple months with a BRAND NEW car.

3) I know "Lemon Law"s are probably different by state, and it's my job to look into the details.. but how much time / how many repair attempts is a "reasonable" amount for me to give the Dealer / Ford before escalating this?

4) Are there people in my situation who have actually had a resolution to these issues? I see people on this thread saying they've traded in the car, or are learning to live with it.. but this is my first brand new car, which I bought because I thought I would be avoiding these types of issues..

On the plus side: when I'm not experiencing these issues, I love the way the car drives. I love the features, and I REALLY love the look (although I wish I could have waited for the ST..).

Edit: I now have about 4,600 miles on the car, which is almost exactly 2,000 more than when I took it in for the TSB. After reading these threads, I should have experienced an improvement after about 1k miles?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #478
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That sounds like a throttle body problem to me, although it could be in the pedal itself. I hate electronic TBs.

You could trade it in for an ST, but those are all manual transmission y'know. This would work well especially if it's one of the dealers that has trouble duplicating the problems you're experiencing.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #479
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I went to dealer... they checked it out.... said all updates are there..so basically nothing done,,,,, ( Im going to drive it abit & see how it goes) It sometimetimes shakes on take off still... Ford rep?? not sure how I contact you on here...thanks MJB
Hey mjb457,

Send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and daytime phone number; I'll see how I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeFocusOwner View Post
...The Service Advisor was very helpful and sympathetic, and explained that even after the fix it may take a little to "learn" my driving and break in. Actually, everything seemed to be fixed immediately after driving it home. However, a couple months later now, and I am noticing the issue has been coming back intermittently (and worse than before the TSB)...
Hi FirstTimeFocusOwner,

I want to get you escalated to your region's Customer Service Manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, estimated mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and a daytime phone number. I'll send your info up the ladder and have your CSM reach out to you.

Thanks,
-Crystal

Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #480
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

This message is for Crystal ---- Ford Customer Service rep---I sent you private message to call me ..... Ill update on here later...thanks MJB

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->