End of the "Ranger" in North America.Good or bad news for Ford? - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #91
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by - Thed - View Post
Then you're in luck!!! Lincoln is working on a RWD large sedan based off of the new Mustang's platform. It is presumed that since the Taurus is moving to a stretched Fusion platform that the MKS will get the rear-drive treatment. Also, expect suicide doors.

I'm not making this up.

I love knowing Ford engineers/insiders.
You can't just say such things and tug on my heart!

My Zephyr was the last good looking and good driving Lincoln made.

Mainly the looks. You knew what it was but it never needed to shout about it.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #92
- Thed -
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103478
What I Drive: 1996 Ford Ranger XLT

FF Reputation: 1 - Thed - Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
You can't just say such things and tug on my heart!

My Zephyr was the last good looking and good driving Lincoln made.

Mainly the looks. You knew what it was but it never needed to shout about it.
I don't like to lie... and I have been on this project like white on rice. Lincoln is getting this RWD sedan around the 2015-2016 model year.

And have you not seen the 2013 MKZ? Absolutely sexy!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #93
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Thed - View Post
I don't like to lie... and I have been on this project like white on rice. Lincoln is getting this RWD sedan around the 2015-2016 model year.

And have you not seen the 2013 MKZ? Absolutely sexy!!!

The 2013 MKZ. Yea, I'd do it.

Even though the Fusion is criminally handsome and drives well, I'd throw another 10-15 grand at the MKZ.

It screams " you and the subtle horse you rode in on". I quite like that.

Now about this RWD sedan. Tell me more. Or at least, 5.0 V8? :D

And this platform, it wouldn't have anything to do with Australia and their rather batshit insane Falcons? Or this this a ground up new development for North American plundering?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #94
- Thed -
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103478
What I Drive: 1996 Ford Ranger XLT

FF Reputation: 1 - Thed - Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
The 2013 MKZ. Yea, I'd do it.

Even though the Fusion is criminally handsome and drives well, I'd throw another 10-15 grand at the MKZ.

It screams " you and the subtle horse you rode in on". I quite like that.

Now about this RWD sedan. Tell me more. Or at least, 5.0 V8? :D

And this platform, it wouldn't have anything to do with Australia and their rather batshit insane Falcons? Or this this a ground up new development for North American plundering?
No word on engines yet. Hopefully a Coyote will find it's way under the hood.

But as far as the platform is concerned, it will be all-new. The Falcon rides on an old, overweight, outdated platform and is on the way out in Australia. Plus, the cost to convert it to LHD would be too high. The next Mustang is going to be a global car and is expected to make the leap across the pond as the RWD successor.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #95
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post

If you want to talk about the MKZ,there's more than enough info about the car on this site: http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...ced-from-36800

And there's probably more if you take the time to google it.While your picture looks nice,the car looks less exciting when you see the front of the car.lincoln has again the same "Humpback Whale" smile front grill, the same dash and interior as a Fusion.The powertrains will be the 2.0 Ecoboost,3.7 V6 and Hybrid.So in other works it's simply a Lincolnized Fusion and not the new car that will change the image of Lincoln.
Go look at the MKZ in person.

Its exceptionally handsome for me, at worst you can call it striking. Which is what Lincoln needs. Any press is better then no press at all, interest being generated is not a bad thing.

How did Cadillac start its revival? One single car. The CTS. It was given praise across the world and with the CTS-V they showed that they could take a sledgehammer to the AMGs, Ms and RSs. It takes just one model.

Whether or not the MKZ is that model that starts to turn things around remains to be seen, maybe this supposed MKS replacement will start that.

Also, sit in any Lincoln. Yes, based off Ford things but I'll give credit to Lincoln for redoing their interiors into something more luxurious and well built.

Its a moot point with the amount of work put into the Fusion but that being said the MKZ isn't some slouch either.

Its target market is the Lexus ES and so forth, FWD based cars that do sell well in the luxury arena.

And as far as the Mustang goes, the whole point is that the Mustang has had a design that harkens back to the 1960s more than being substantially revamped.

The 911 doesn't go around altering itself every generation, I don't see why Ford needs to pull any different.

Yes, the design can be refined and modernized but they don't need to take a sword to their clay models and start from scratch. The Mustang has a iconic design that anyone will recognize. You don't get to just buy that kind of marketing.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #96
BlueFlik
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103620
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFlik Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
I've only ever been impressed with them in person... Interiors look awesome too imho. They kinda remind me of the old woody wagons back in the day. I think the Flex would look right at home with some wood paneling and a couple surfboards on top
^Agreed. Always thought the Flex was the modern surf van, it would be right at home in a Beach Boys video.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #97
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Brand differentiation is what Ford is looking for with Lincoln. That does not mean they will create an entirely new platform for their vehicles. The trick is using the same platform but not making it simply a high-option model like they've done in the past.

Infinity, Acura and Lexus and Audi are who the competition is in that price range and they all share platforms with Nissan, Honda, Toyota and VW, respectively. My buddies Avalon is nothing more than a cheap LS300. Lincoln needs another full-size car because the MKS is simply not going to get the town car market. I'd expect to see the MKZ, the MKX, the MKS and a flagship sport luxury based off the Mustang platform to compete with the likes of the CTS-V. Isn't the CTS-V based off the G8/Commodore?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #98
Onlyford4me
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

Points 4,729, Level 43
Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
The flex is a great vehicle that no one understands.
I know why I can't understand it. It's ugly as hell on the outside with a great looking/functional inside.

I still believe Ford at some point will bring a small truck back. Small truck sales are slow now, but if sales pick back up again and the price of large trucks keeps climbing, people will want a cheaper alternative. A smart move on Ford's part.

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #99
Onlyford4me
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

Points 4,729, Level 43
Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Now what I'm wondering- why haven't they built a hybrid, or even plug-in hybrid small truck or van? The Transit Connect is woefully underpowered with a D20 + 4 spd auto, and small businesses that use that vehicle would be interested in an hybrid option, possibly even a plug-in hybrid. Apparently diesel is out of the question for North American small vehicles, so the gasoline hybrid route is all we can do.
I will be looking at replacing some of our E-250 vans soon. The people that drive them say they don't need that large of a van. So the Transit Connect may be in our company's future. Power isn't that necessary for us. And I would LOVE a hybrid version (if it makes economic sense). I'd love diesel also. We have a diesel skid tank outside for our heavy duty fleet. We could take much greater advantage of bulk pricing. Right now we just fill up our vans at gas stations with a fuel card.

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #100
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82372
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr PowerShudder

Points 57, Level 1
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Doctor Drew Good Standing Member
The Flex is awesome, all day long.

I'd rock an ecoboost Flex with a tune and 400hp any day.

This Brick ran a 12.95!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.