Drivers Seat discomfort - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Wheelman01940
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104044
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE A/T w 201a

FF Reputation: 1 Wheelman01940 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Drivers Seat discomfort

2012 Focus SE, A/T, 201a package.

I have found the drivers seat bottom to cause pain after 15 or minutes of driving. specifically, pressure points on the outter thigh. It appears to be due to the underlying metal seat frame or lack of padding. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm 6 foot, 1 inch tall, 185 pounds, and I take a 34 x 34 pants. So, I'm not out of the norm and the seat should be OK for my size.

Due to the foot rest (left leg), my legs do splay a bit but, no more than they did with my previous Toyota's and Mazda's. The right leg tends to rest against the center dash. This is my first Ford. I'm hoping this is an issue which is known and has a resolution. I have less than 400 miles on the car and can't drive it this way for any meaningful distance.

Last edited by Wheelman01940; 09-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
fofo60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95976
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic Hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 fofo60 Good Standing Member
Sorry to hear about your problem. I am 5'8", 160 pounds, and I find the seats very comfortable. Have you tried just sitting, no driving, and adjusting the seat to see if you can get comfortable? Place the heal of your right foot below the gas pedal, place left foot on the foot rest, move the seat bottom back and down until you have support under your thighs, lean the seat back until comfortable. Don't try to adjust the steering wheel, just sit in the seat and see if that position is ok. Most people have the seat too high and too far forward. If you can get the seat comfortable, then adjust the steering wheel. The focus steering wheel does not adjust enough for me and sometimes I feel like I am too far from it but I have gotten used to that. I have had cars that I have not been able to get comfortable in, my Chevy Tahoe never did have good lower back support. I hope that this helps. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
I notice discomfort in my left outer thigh if I don't extend my left leg and place my foot in the dead pedal area, especially on extended drives My right leg rest against the console like yours which to date has not been an issue. I am 5'11". I have sourced cheap floor mats from walmart that cover the dead pedal area, so as not to muck up the factory carpet. My problem solved, maybe it will help you.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
I'm only 6' but find my left leg is often in an uncomfortable position due to :
- no dead pedal or flat spot to put my foot
- the rise in the floor just in front of the seat so it's difficult to pull one's leg up to the seat comfortably.
- plenty enuf seat travel for me to stretch out EXCEPT for my left leg due to aforementioned floor design.

i never had this issue on any car i've owned before. IMO, just poor design....
Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Wheelman01940
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the ideas.

I have tried to simply extend my left leg out beside the brake (mine is an automatic) but, the idea scares the hell out of me fearing that I might interfer with braking in an emergency.

There does seem to be a lack of padding in those bolsters. I wish I could pull off the cover, grab a pipe wrench, and bend that frame member out (down) a little.

I'll pay a visit to my local dealer and see what can be done.

outside of cars I had in high school and college, I have always had Toyota's and Mazda's. I was considering a Hyundia and a Mazda and thought, given the performance of Ford and the fact that they did not take Federal money, I owed them a try .. just wish I had insisted on a 1/2 hour test drive :-(
Old 09-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman01940 View Post
... given the performance of Ford and the fact that they did not take Federal money, I owed them a try .. just wish I had insisted on a 1/2 hour test drive :-(
Just a note: They didn't (directly) take money earmarked for the auto bailout fund. They did, however, take billions in federal dollars through loans (of which they still owe billions), capital, and tax credits and fully supported, and in fact lobbied for, the government's bailout of the auto industry.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Wheelman01940
Focus Rookie

I hear you in terms of tax credits and their support of the bailout for others ... but, that provided for the support of many of their suppliers who are not locked into Ford alone. Although I do not agree with the high degree of Government involvement in many areas of the economy (due to unintended consequences), I cannot blame Ford for doing what was in their best interests. Personally, I do not agree that you should be able to deduct your mortgage interst but, it's the law and the only one hurt when I do not do it is me so, I deduct that interest.

So .. maybe they have a little $$ around to fix my seat issue ... I sure hope so :-)
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I hear you in terms of tax credits and their support of the bailout for others ... but, that provided for the support of many of their suppliers who are not locked into Ford alone.
Right, which is exactly why they did so. They stated that if the bailout didn't occur the likely supply interruption would have brought them down as well. It's hard to sell cars when you can't build any

Quote:
So .. maybe they have a little $$ around to fix my seat issue ... I sure hope so :-)
I would think so :-p
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
I drove mine non-stop from Tucson to Las Vegas and I thought the seats were great compared to other cars I have owned.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #10
engine ear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5447
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 engine ear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The SE I sat in before getting the titanium/leather, felt like sitting on granite. I'm 5'-11" 165 and my bony butt hurt within minutes. Get some Sparcos or some such aftermarket seat.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.