HOW TO: ATX Swap / Replacement WITH PICS - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
irocmonster89
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103999
What I Drive: 2005 ford 2.0 auto focus

FF Reputation: 1 irocmonster89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
torque converter bolts 4 of em...

oh please help!

i have followed this thread and have replaced my tranny.. how do i get to the flywheel and converter bolts on install? my chevy has a inspection shield on the bottom half with access..this focus 2005 does not...the only holes for access i see are the starter hole. i want to cut a hole in the tranny!!!!!!!!!!! how did you tighten those four nuts? if i back the tranny away from the engine block, i fear it will slip out and hit the floor... it happened already. please help!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
iamtroy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110475
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 iamtroy Good Standing Member
I know this post is old, but I just finished fixing the flex plate in my o1 Focus using your post as a guide. Great job and thank you! Very informative and detailed. My repair went just as you described.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #23
ZX5blur
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87837
What I Drive: 2003 Charcoal ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 ZX5blur Good Standing Member
Thanks for the write up! Completed this 2 weeks ago on my 03 Zetec. A few tips to add:
-I'm relatively comfortable working on cars, but would not have attempted this without my friend who is a mechanic (taking apart the suspension, pulling drive axles, etc. should not scare you if you're going to take this on).
-Removed both axles (undo lower ball joint) and drivers side strut for the extra space
-Exhaust does not need to be removed
-Have new axles seals (and a press/piece of pipe, etc), and new torque converter nuts on hand
-We took the passenger axle first, and then you can use a punch and bunch of extensions to tap the other side out through the trans.
-Used a generic engine holder along with a floor jack underneath to hold up the engine. Another floor jack for the trans.
-All went very smoothly - only major hitch was we lined up the torque converter stud in the sight hole. The trans didn't want to close the gap. We then tried rotating the crank pulley and that was also tight. Got a little nervous, but after rocking the crank pulley back and forth it "popped" together. Must have been that the one stud was lined up, but the other 3 were just slightly off until we rocked the crank back and forth.
-Also replaced brakes at the same time
-The 1S4P-DA (used on 2001-early 2003) and 3S4P-DA (used on 2003-2004) ARE INTERCHANGEABLE! If you have have a 1S4P-DA, I suggest you find a low mileage 3S4P-DA (something about update internals or somethings). I paid $875 for a 3S4P-DA with 37k on it and 90 day warranty from the salvage place here. I paid a bit of a premium for the low miles (higher mileage ones were as low as $350, but I plan to keep the car for a while yet if keeps going).
-Even if I would have a shop do the swap, it still would have been way cheaper and better than having my old trans "rebuilt"
-My old trans had 124k on it and it was toast - had tried replacing solenoids, etc. in the past and progressively got worse - it was about to the point where it could hardly move itself.
-took my friend (mechanic), old man, and I one night to get the old one out and one morning to get the new one. Job is quoted at 6 hrs I believe, was more like 8-9 for us, which I thought wasn't bad. Drives like new now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.