Calling all 2012 focus members with a five speed manual transmission - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
2012TI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87295
What I Drive: 12 titanium blue candy, 2001 SVT co

FF Reputation: 1 2012TI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Calling all 2012 focus members with a five speed manual transmission

My issue is missing and hesitation in first and second gear mostly, does anybody else have this issue when taking off in first gear sometimes the car will miss and hesitate?? You do not notice this on the tack as if the engine was actually missing. I decided to drive the car down a long alleyway with buildings on each side to see if I could hear any spark knock in the engine. When the car does hesitate it does spark knock a few times right before hesitate? Almost like the spark plug is firing before the mixture is ready which results in that whole power stroke being missed. I have no check engine lights or codes present. Any help will be great thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Did the problem start suddenly?

Try a tank of premium.

BTW, I have a DCT but the engine is the same.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
2012TI
Focus Enthusiast

I have tried switching gas stations But that did not help. No issue did not start all of a sudden it's been going on for about 3 to 4 months..It is Sporadic every once in a while and it may go for miles and miles without doing.. The engine being hot or cold does not seem to have an effect on. I will try a tank of premium see what happens. Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
- Thed -
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103478
What I Drive: 1996 Ford Ranger XLT

FF Reputation: 1 - Thed - Good Standing Member
Put in some 89 or higher octane from a gas station that has good gas. You might be pinging the engine.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
focusbrad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103194
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black s model standard

FF Reputation: 1 focusbrad Good Standing Member
I have had a similar problem with mine, but I always attributed it to the times when I didn't give her quite the gas she needed and that's when I noticed it. Does that sound similar to your problem? Only happens when I give a little less than normal throttle accidentally when letting clutch out in first gear. I know it sounds like a dumb thing to say..like hey dummy, give it more gas duh...but it seems like a little more than that, maybe there is a hesitation.
Another issue I have is when I put the clutch in between gears, I get a small rev instead of the RPM's dropping like they should when I get off the gas and on the clutch between gears...strange. I have adjusted by now and don't even notice, but whenever someone new drives it they notice it too.
A little background so you all don't think I'm nuts..I'm 41 years old and have been a car enthusiast since I was a teenager and have been driving standards and motorcycles and every other piece of machinery you can think of ever since. I know my stuff. This stuff with my car always grabbed me as a little strange, But never really enough to mention until now.

Bye the way, I run 87 with 93 about once a month.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
2012TI
Focus Enthusiast

It doesn't happen so much when letting the clutch out the clutch is completely engaged and I'm going down the road the RPMs are right around 1900-2200 and hesitates in between that range. I've also been driving manual transmissions for over 25 years I grew up with mustangs GT's and cobras. Focus that my family owns are 2002 SVT 2003 SVT 2007 focus SE and a 2010 focus all of them are manual except for 2010 non-of the cars experienced this issue. This spark knocking is what has me concerned
Old 09-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Head to your dealership and get TSB #12-5-5 done. Then install a Mazdaspeed3 rear motor mount.

The TSB reflashes the PCM and will automatically raise the idle a hair when you release the brake, helping to get rid of the throttle lag. Also, the stiffer rear motor mount gives you a more direct throttle response instead of a 'rubber-band' effect.

FWIW, I also run 92-93 octane fuel.

Last edited by Zillon; 09-19-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
First this is a high compression engine.. 12.5:1 with direct injection.. although you can get by with 87 octane fuel, the engine really likes more octane. I run 91 octane with no ethanol since the engine seems to respond to it better...

The throttle "flare" you noticed has to do with the fact this is a drive by wire car. It does take some "adaptation" if all you've ever driven were regular cable driven thottles.

Also if it hasn't been applied, have the TSB that was mentioned earlier in this thread applied to your car, it changes the throttle maps in the computer and improves performance significantly.. not perfect like a cable driven system but much better.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Head to your dealership and get TSB #12B37 done.
TSB 12-5-5 would be correct for the OP's car.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
TSB 12-5-5 would be correct for the OP's car.
Whoops, you're right. Too many TSB numbers floating through my head.

Here's the link to the 12-5-5 thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287716

Bookmarks & Social Networks