2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 11 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #101
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Points 5,146, Level 45
Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 35 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I've never understood people who focus so fiercely on resale value of a car. What is the point? You are losing money no matter what you do.
you only lose the money when you actually sell the car. like the OP is foolishly trying to do.

If you keep it forever, you never realize the loss. (As you don't have the expense of replacing it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #102
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
But one of the big things that makes the focus desirable is the nice bells and whistles you can add and still have an affordable car.
Then you just gotta live with the huge loss .... if you're keeping the car ... it shouldn't matter one way or the other. If you're way upside down on a big-buck loaded model ... you'll have no choice but to keep it for a decent amount of time anyway.

As nice as the car is ... I can't see owning it for more than about 4 years. I just can't see the reliability being there given the multitude of problems that it's having from day one.

My suspension was 'fixed' once ... now it's making the same noise from the other side. No sense taking it back for more work ... they obviously don't know what's causing it ... and they can't fix it yet. It is kind of ridiculous that Ford can't figure out this suspension thing. I'm guessing that they hope most people won't (or don't) notice it, and therefore it's not worth throwing a lot of money at it to find the real problem.

I'd bet if they put 4 Ford master technicians on it ... they could figure out the suspension clunking issue in a week or less. Hard to believe they haven't done that .... and if they have ... then their 'master technicians' aint so masterful.

REV
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #103
RockyD
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93737
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 RockyD Good Standing Member
I tend to keep cars for a long time, but there are just a few little comfort/convenience things about the Focus that annoy me. I bought a Ti sedan in January for $22,400, list of $26,500. It has only $3K miles on it, and last weekend I was offered $17k for it. NADA is $20,700.

I wasn't interested in taking a $5400+ loss, and I don't hate it enough to go through the trouble of selling it privately, so it looks like I'll have the Focus for the long term. I was surprised to see a $9500 depreciation from sticker, especially with only 3K miles. That said, these dealers are in business to make money and if they could have given me more they would have since it would have meant a new car sale for them.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #104
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
But one of the big things that makes the focus desirable is the nice bells and whistles you can add and still have an affordable car.

bingo! maybe the chronically discontent should stick to base models so they don't lose as much money but i plan to keep my car for the long haul and i like a few options. my SEL is well-appointed for a $20k car.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #105
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyD View Post
I tend to keep cars for a long time, but there are just a few little comfort/convenience things about the Focus that annoy me. I bought a Ti sedan in January for $22,400, list of $26,500. It has only $3K miles on it, and last weekend I was offered $17k for it. NADA is $20,700.

I wasn't interested in taking a $5400+ loss, and I don't hate it enough to go through the trouble of selling it privately, so it looks like I'll have the Focus for the long term. I was surprised to see a $9500 depreciation from sticker, especially with only 3K miles. That said, these dealers are in business to make money and if they could have given me more they would have since it would have meant a new car sale for them.
NOBODY pays list or MSRP, so if you paid $22,400, and you can get $20,700 private party I don't see the problem. That's not much depreciation at all for a year old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post

bingo! maybe the chronically discontent should stick to base models so they don't lose as much money but i plan to keep my car for the long haul and i like a few options. my SEL is well-appointed for a $20k car.
Exactly, I came from a high end car and if the Focus didn't have the bells and whistles I wouldn't have bought it.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #106
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,533, Level 73
Points: 12,533, Level: 73 Points: 12,533, Level: 73 Points: 12,533, Level: 73
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I did not get a big pile of money off. A little off, but then I got the exact car I wanted.
So I have no plan on selling anytime soon either.
The only thing that the wholesale price says to me is perhaps for insurance, i could opt for the 'replacement' coverage. Which is to get me an equal car, not just the bluebook value if it is totalled.
The extra coverage is $110. year. I just may, or may not bother. I like to feel some of the risk is my own, And I am not just paying it all to the companies.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #107
- Thed -
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103478
What I Drive: 1996 Ford Ranger XLT

FF Reputation: 1 - Thed - Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
When I buy a car I buy it for a purpose.

1.) I love it.
2.) I'm going to keep it for the long run.
3.) It's an investment.

When you approach it that way it doesn't matter what it's worth in year to a dealership or private party, because it's yours. Just my .02. Good luck with yours.
+1

Reason #1 will be the only reason why I'll be buying a new car.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #108
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by - Thed - View Post
+1

Reason #1 will be the only reason why I'll be buying a new car.
I bought a new car because I was getting tired of fixing my old one. It was getting to be every weekend.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #109
- Thed -
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103478
What I Drive: 1996 Ford Ranger XLT

FF Reputation: 1 - Thed - Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
I bought a new car because I was getting tired of fixing my old one. It was getting to be every weekend.
What did you have? A Bimmer?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #110
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
How to deal with a car that loses its value quickly?

Don't buy it new...

wait about 6 months to a year and buy it as a slightly experienced used car, Preferably a base model then add the options you want afterwards from a wrecked one, aftermarket or factory parts counter and install yourself.

I have almost the equivalent of an SE sport with black appearance package which on the 2013's MSRP's for .. what $23,000 something...

mine had 5000 miles at purchase and as it sits now has less than 15K spent on it..

for mine the depreciation of what i have spent on mine will still suck but be no where near as bad as a 2013 buyer of today has a year from now, when that 2013 similarly equipped car sees how much his car has lost compared to his MSRP...

Oh almost forget... to reduce the financial damage even more, pay for it with cash and stay away from the financing. the interest paid is just as bad as the depreciation.

Bookmarks & Social Networks