Where are the 5-speeds???? - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #101
gsrcrxsi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103577
What I Drive: not a Focus

FF Reputation: 1 gsrcrxsi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
She thinks car forums are "stupid" lol.

Cable shifter kind of seals the coffin. It's just never going to feel as notchy as precise as a mechanical linkage. Kind of like power steering vs manual, or DBW vs cable throttle. There are things that get lost in translation for the sake of comfort to the masses.

To be fair The linkage in the subie is mechanical. And I've added a STS and rather stiff poly shifter bushings to the equation. Hands down the best shifter I've felt so far. Everyone who drives my car seems to feel the same. The shifter is just rock solid tight with almost zero play in gear, even takes a bit of force to move it around in neutral. But with the focus it's just slop (even compared to the subie in stock form). Moving through the gears feels like you are just moving the shifter around without really knowing what gear your in or what's goin on at the transmission end. Kind of just feels like the shifter isn't connected to anything at all.

As far how she feels? She thinks it's fine I'm sure. She's coming from a Chevy cobalt. Equally light clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #102
gsrcrxsi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'd be curious to see what an ST feels like
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #103
F'nClassy
Eh!

Fan#: 97270
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 6 F'nClassy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
gf picked up an SE (not sport AFAIK,but has the sync and 6 speaker audio package, not sure exactly which package that is) a few weeks ago, new, 50mi, for $15,000. in a manual. she wanted a manual and enjoys it.

im not too impressed with the manual trans in this car personally. the clutch is too light for my tastes, feels like you are barely doing anything and reduces the feel when trying to feather the clutch, which is necessary when setting off in first gear due to the lack of power. but maybe im just used to the heavy clutch in my car (2010WRX). the gearing is also relatively long for a lower powered car. shorter gears would definitely help that i think.

also, the shifter is sloppy as all hell, with very little feedback. but maybe that can be remedied with some stiffer shifter bushings (is this a cable shifter? or mechanical linkage?)
so your here to complain about your girlfriends' car?
What does she think of her car?
HN#154
Sonic's MK3 Crew #07

Live together, die alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
Instead of a "Dual Clutch", "Dual Personality" might be a better name.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #104
gsrcrxsi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

yes, im HERE regarding her car.

she doesnt know any better. thats what im getting at lol. shes complacent with the current setup and she still has the new car googly eyes, but shes owned a nissan 350z (got totalled, rear ended) and driven my car and the new corvette, so she can appreciate upgrades of this nature im sure.

shes onboard with me looking into future upgrades (already expressed interest in new wheels and suspension), shes not down with the whole car forum thing lol. and she knows that i just like working on cars in general and can make a solid decision on what will be right for her. i have a close friend who is a reg on this board who referred me and is a source of focus knowledge (as i am a source of suby knowledge for his wife's impreza). ive driven her car, and ive driven many cars. im not "complaining", just giving my honest input that the tranny/clutch is meh and lackluster. its akin to driving a newer honda civic. thats my opinion. like it or dont like it. but i thought this was a discussion about the 5-speeds? im sorry if i struck a nerve, but thats not my intention, im not trying to spark some suby vs focus debate lol.

some things can be corrected im sure, and id like to just get a bit of info regarding that. like i said above, im curious what the ST feels like. and id also like to feel a focus with the STS and RMM before considering it. btw, which mount is which in the above photo? i assume the round one is the MS3 one?

sure the light clutch may be a personal preference, but the whole setup screams econo (cause it is, hell even my wrx is an econo box with a turbo) and doesnt give much in the way of feedback.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #105
gsrcrxsi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

do you focus guys ever fill motor mounts with window weld? its something ive seen in the honda community for a nice compromise between rubber and full poly. also not sure if focus companies make specialized poly inserts which aim to fill the empty voids in the rubber mount with a pre-formed poly insert. same principle as the window weld, just less messy, and reversable.

both seem to stiffen up the mount with not too much NVH introduced to the chassis
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #106
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
As noted previously... MS3 Mount on left, Ford POS on right.

For about $45 and the ability to swap out inserts, the MS3 is the cheapest and best mod out so far.

It might also be helpful in future posts if you know what she has on the car from the factory.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #107
gsrcrxsi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

thanks sonic, just wanted to clarify which was which.

when you says "swap out inserts", what exactly do you mean? is this akin to what i mentioned in my last post about using a poly insert in the mount to further tighten it up?

but thanks for clearing up the whole MS3 mount bit. i didnt know you guys were using the OEM mount, i saw another post of a guy using an aftermarket MS3 poly mount, and figured thats what you meant.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #108
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

http://www.corksport.com/index.php?d...oduct_id=31188
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #109
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
but thanks for clearing up the whole MS3 mount bit. i didnt know you guys were using the OEM mount, i saw another post of a guy using an aftermarket MS3 poly mount, and figured thats what you meant.
Most aftermarket MS3 mounts start at a 70 duro which for most is going to be too much. For you or I they might work but probably too much for your GF. Don't even get me started on price differences.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #110
gsrcrxsi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

yup. thats what i meant. thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks