2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #91
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post

People who buy cars based off how much they can get for them in 4 years are quite frankly, idiots.

They can go ahead and waste the money and realize how pointless it is.

I can't help but laugh when friends and family and even salesmen focus on resale value.

I don't give a damn what I can get for it in 4 years, I care how good of a purchase it is at the time. Case in point, my cousin bought a 2008 Civic. He loves it, even I like it; it has ran well since then and never given a headache. I think its better than the current gen Civics as well. The bonus is that his resale value given its a Civic will be higher, but he doesn't care.

The 2012 Civic has a higher resale value simply because it is a Civic but that doesn't mean its suddenly a better buy.

If you pay with cash or finance like I did - deal with it. You are going to be shitting value the second you turn it on.

If you lease and flip cars every 3-4 years then resale value means nothing to you anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Is this everyone's first new car or something? First time ever trying to trade in a vehicle at a dealer?

OF COURSE the value is low when you take it to someone who retails cars, and expect to get retail prices for it. They have to make money, and they want to make as much money as possible. That means you get less then retail, so they can then sell it at retail.

This is not a new concept. Dealers have been offering less then what the car is really worth since there's been dealers. That's how that works, best get used to it now. If you want to sell your car for more sell it privately.
I don't think that's the point here! I've purchased 2 cars in the past (I'm not that old, only 25). I understand, and hope everyone else does, you value once you sign the papers. You're right, it's not a new concept... no one said it was! But that's not the point here.

I also agree that you don't buy a car based solely or primarily on what it may re-sale for in 3-5 years. But again, not the point.

What I and others on here are surprised at is how low it is currently and how quickly it has gotten to that point. That's all. And when you start to add things up ... the transmission issues, strut issues, MFT (for some) issues, etc... you begin to see where the consumer confidence is waning and why it is falling at the rate it has. It's just disappointing is all.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the car (in part due to the good service I have received from my dealer), and plan on having well past paying it off (financed)... and if the re-sale value is good/high, that's just a bonus in my pocket when/if I sell it.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #92
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
I don't think that's the point here! I've purchased 2 cars in the past (I'm not that old, only 25). I understand, and hope everyone else does, you value once you sign the papers. You're right, it's not a new concept... no one said it was! But that's not the point here.

I also agree that you don't buy a car based solely or primarily on what it may re-sale for in 3-5 years. But again, not the point.

What I and others on here are surprised at is how low it is currently and how quickly it has gotten to that point. That's all. And when you start to add things up ... the transmission issues, strut issues, MFT (for some) issues, etc... you begin to see where the consumer confidence is waning and why it is falling at the rate it has. It's just disappointing is all.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the car (in part due to the good service I have received from my dealer), and plan on having well past paying it off (financed)... and if the re-sale value is good/high, that's just a bonus in my pocket when/if I sell it.
Please find me an American car that actually does well at holding value?

You can get 2007 Cadillac CTS-Vs, cars that give you 400hp and handling that actually keeps up with the Germans, for around 15-20k now. Maybe even less.

This isn't a Focus specific problem. This is a Domestic market vehicle problem.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #93
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,885, Level 39
Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Resale value on my '11 Focus is approx $1k less than a '12 Focus with similar options and mileage.

I'm not really surprised considering the actual NEW price difference was only about $2k

Maybe the people who are upset are the ones who overpaid? Idk I'm just trying to understand the frustration.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #94
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Please find me an American car that actually does well at holding value?

You can get 2007 Cadillac CTS-Vs, cars that give you 400hp and handling that actually keeps up with the Germans, for around 15-20k now. Maybe even less.

This isn't a Focus specific problem. This is a Domestic market vehicle problem.
Again, I don't think that's the point of frustration for those who feel this way. Not arguing that American cars < Foreign cars in re-sale, that's basically common knowledge anymore.

The Focus is dropping a bit faster than even anticipated... that's all that is surprising to me and some others. The Focus itself, not compared to a Mazda, Honda, Nissan, BMW, etc... And I would imagine it's due to some of the consumer blow back on the issues with the car.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #95
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Resale value on my '11 Focus is approx $1k less than a '12 Focus with similar options and mileage.

I'm not really surprised considering the actual NEW price difference was only about $2k

Maybe the people who are upset are the ones who overpaid? Idk I'm just trying to understand the frustration.
I could see that. I also hope most people didn't overpay I got something around ~$4500 off MSRP on mine back in February.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #96
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,885, Level 39
Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
So, who dictates what the resale value should be?

Did you sign something at purchase that said "The resale value of this car after one year shall be $xxxxx" ?
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #97
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
So, who dictates what the resale value should be?

Did you sign something at purchase that said "The resale value of this car after one year shall be $xxxxx" ?
Ha, while you make a point ... dealerships and used car lots are going to base their offers on KBB and NADA ... so if those two value the car less and less for whatever reason... they've basically set the price for you. No need for that signed document :)

Though... wasn't it Hyundai that had an offer like that? After X years we will pay you Y dollars regardless of the market?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #98
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
My car stickered for just under $30k...and here I am almost 18 months later and KBB says my car is now worth $16k. I've dropped almost half in a year and a half...what??
That's why you don't buy ultra-loaded models of entry level economy cars ... or any car for that matter. Almost all those expensive options are pretty much an instant loss ... then you have to add depreciation for the car as well.

I PAID $16.5K for my SE Sport 5 speed with moonroof. How much can I lose ? My car is probably worth $15K now ... not much of a loss at all, and you lost $10K in the value of the options instantly. Higher trim levels of low-end cars get absolutely killed at trade-in time.

It's a real tough sell when your used $30K 'economy' car is up against brand new cars with a few less options for $10K less after incentives, rebates, deals, and good financing .... which would YOU pick ?

Incentives, huge rebates, great deals, (and a growing bad reputation) all add up to murder the resale/trade in value of the same car. In order to avoid this ... buy decently equipped models ... not loaded ones.

REV
Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #99
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
That's why you don't buy ultra-loaded models of entry level economy cars ... or any car for that matter. Almost all those expensive options are pretty much an instant loss ... then you have to add depreciation for the car as well.

I PAID $16.5K for my SE Sport 5 speed with moonroof. How much can I lose ? My car is probably worth $15K now ... not much of a loss at all, and you lost $10K in the value of the options instantly. Higher trim levels of low-end cars get absolutely killed at trade-in time.

It's a real tough sell when your used $30K car is up against brand new cars with a few less options for $10K less after incentives, rebates, deals, and good financing .... which would YOU pick ?

Incentives, huge rebates, and great deals all add up to murder the resale/trade in value of the same car. In order to avoid this ... buy decently equipped models ... not loaded ones.

REV
But one of the big things that makes the focus desirable is the nice bells and whistles you can add and still have an affordable car.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #100
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
Though... wasn't it Hyundai that had an offer like that? After X years we will pay you Y dollars regardless of the market?
They still have it. but it's only for the 2 Genesis models and the Equis.

REV

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.