Does anyone know what makes that grinding noise on the DCT - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
fatfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
fatfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90985
Location: Bowmanville, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL Sedan

Posts: 148
FF Reputation: 1 fatfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do you getting any vibration, or shuddering, or jerking from the transmission? I was told the noise was normal, until the transmission expert at the dealership drove my car. Clutches replaced at 23,000 miles. Take it in, talk to the mechanics, not the advisor....be an obnoxious customer if needed.
__________________
Now: 2012 SEL Sedan, with Selectshift Transmission, 17" Polished Aluminum Rims, K&N Air Filter
Previously: 2000 White ZTS, 15" Painted Aluminium Rims
www.focuscanada.net member
fatfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,934
Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfocus View Post
Do you getting any vibration, or shuddering, or jerking from the transmission? I was told the noise was normal, until the transmission expert at the dealership drove my car. Clutches replaced at 23,000 miles. Take it in, talk to the mechanics, not the advisor....be an obnoxious customer if needed.
It has on-days and off-days. I'll be sure to take it in after work so that the clutches are nice and warm. :)

EDIT: Set up an appointment for next Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.
PratoN is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1195
Location: Lansing, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Posts: 286
Points 928, Level 16
Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i see a mention of life of 100,000 miles. Im new to the DTC and is this trans treated like a manual and the clutches need to be changed at certain intervals?
dbenney is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
StockTalon
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94771
Location: Troy, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,854
FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The short noise you hear at low speed/quite times is the box grabbing the next gear.
StockTalon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,934
Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTalon View Post
The short noise you hear at low speed/quite times is the box grabbing the next gear.
I'd be fine and dandy with that response if it weren't a new noise and also one that isn't on every vehicle. Since it is specific to a handful of us, I don't know about that... did you listen to that video when my car hits 10mph?

EDIT: Also Ford has already made changes to the clutch. We don't do PCNs at my work unless we're correcting something or reducing costs...
PratoN is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
StockTalon
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94771
Location: Troy, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,854
FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I'd be fine and dandy with that response if it weren't a new noise and also one that isn't on every vehicle. Since it is specific to a handful of us, I don't know about that... did you listen to that video when my car hits 10mph?

EDIT: Also Ford has already made changes to the clutch. We don't do PCNs at my work unless we're correcting something or reducing costs...
No, I haven't but, I'm friends with one of the people who designed and tested the trans. In one of the reviews, the gear change noise is mentioned as well and, that is just how it works. Ill listen to the video when I'm home with a computer that has speakers and a non T1 connection.
StockTalon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast
 
xpartmgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96709
Location: Shawnee, KS
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 278
FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I'll just leave this right here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...9&postcount=81

(My car this past Saturday)

As far as I can tell, it doesn't help with the jerkiness of the transmission and frankly it's just embarrassing. Luckily I listen to music 24/7, but for someone that does not - you'll definitely hear this.
Yeah that is the noise. Maybe it is not a problem with the longevity of the transmission, but it will certainly effect resale value.
xpartmgr is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast
 
xpartmgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96709
Location: Shawnee, KS
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 278
FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I'd be fine and dandy with that response if it weren't a new noise and also one that isn't on every vehicle. Since it is specific to a handful of us, I don't know about that... did you listen to that video when my car hits 10mph?

EDIT: Also Ford has already made changes to the clutch. We don't do PCNs at my work unless we're correcting something or reducing costs...
I must agree. I have driven several and not one I have driven make this noise. So clearly my definition of normal and Ford's are drastically different. Really I all I asking for is a Ford representative to call me and explain the noise. What it is and why it does it. Perhaps this will make sense and I will feel better. However, they insist on just saying don't worry it is normal. Ford time to step up and contact us who have the issue. To me it seems like the clutch is "slipping" as it shifts. Like it is not fully engaging and chattering. I can get mine to do it for a very long time if I put it manually into second gear and find an incline, just slow down and slowing speed up. It will start chattering and make the noise for several seconds and this is not during a shift. This is when the car is already engaged into second gear and not while shifting. I found this while pulling into a parking lot of the university I attend, it is uphill to get to the parking lot and the car of course is never in the right gear and kept acting like it would die, so I manually put it into second gear now. Well you should try it and see if yours does it also. I would think if I did that several times it would really mess something up. I see that jagreene is getting the clutches replaced, wondering if that makes the normal noise go away?
xpartmgr is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast
 
2012sel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84814
Location: Overland Park, KS
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

Posts: 511
FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
I must agree. I have driven several and not one I have driven make this noise. So clearly my definition of normal and Ford's are drastically different. Really I all I asking for is a Ford representative to call me and explain the noise. What it is and why it does it. Perhaps this will make sense and I will feel better. However, they insist on just saying don't worry it is normal. Ford time to step up and contact us who have the issue. To me it seems like the clutch is "slipping" as it shifts. Like it is not fully engaging and chattering. I can get mine to do it for a very long time if I put it manually into second gear and find an incline, just slow down and slowing speed up. It will start chattering and make the noise for several seconds and this is not during a shift. This is when the car is already engaged into second gear and not while shifting. I found this while pulling into a parking lot of the university I attend, it is uphill to get to the parking lot and the car of course is never in the right gear and kept acting like it would die, so I manually put it into second gear now. Well you should try it and see if yours does it also. I would think if I did that several times it would really mess something up. I see that jagreene is getting the clutches replaced, wondering if that makes the normal noise go away?
I know I didn't explain it in my original reply, but I suspected that the noise was happening to me in the same situation you describe above. Second gear accelerating up a hill.

Your situation must be worse then mine because I was able to eliminate the noise as I described before.

It is NOT "normal". And I second the comment that if it was, it would be happening in all the other vehicles. If they say it's normal and that's Ford's opinion of a quality product, I'll be considering a Japanese model for my next vehicle.

You need to stay on your service department and get it resolved. It's that kind of BS customer service that makes me sick to hear.

FYI, this member had this problem resolved (at least at the time of this posting)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrand View Post
Wanted to add to this topic by saying that my 2012 Focus with dual-clutch transmission (build date December 2012) also started to shudder and hesitate upon acceleration while going into 2nd gear. This started after 10,000 miles. It only did this on a warm engine (after several starts and stops). It was fine when shifting into higher gears.

Turns out that the clutch was defective. It wasn't releasing correctly. My Ford dealer called the Ford service hotline and they confirmed that this is an identified problem on some Focuses. Replacing the clutch was the only solution. They got a new clutch kit from Ford and completed the repairs in a day.

Just got my Focus back today and the problem is resolved by replacing the clutch plates evidently.
From page 4 of this thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=clutch&page=4

Quote from transmission "improvements" article published December '11...
Perhaps this issue was addressed by some rolling changes to the hardware that have been rolled out on more recently built cars, including revised "long-shoulder rivets" in the clutch itself, to reduce chatter/vibration during launch, and new right-hand engine mounts to quell a vibration at idle. The shifter itself is revised to make it harder to overshoot "Drive" and end up in "S."
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...much_improved/
__________________
Current
2012 SEL 5 door w/Premium Package - April 2011 | 1957 Chevrolet 3200 - 2005
Past Rides
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
2012sel is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast
 
xpartmgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96709
Location: Shawnee, KS
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 278
FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012sel View Post
I know I didn't explain it in my original reply, but I suspected that the noise was happening to me in the same situation you describe above. Second gear accelerating up a hill.

Your situation must be worse then mine because I was able to eliminate the noise as I described before.

It is NOT "normal". And I second the comment that if it was, it would be happening in all the other vehicles. If they say it's normal and that's Ford's opinion of a quality product, I'll be considering a Japanese model for my next vehicle.

You need to stay on your service department and get it resolved. It's that kind of BS customer service that makes me sick to hear.

FYI, this member had this problem resolved (at least at the time of this posting)...


From page 4 of this thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=clutch&page=4

Quote from transmission "improvements" article published December '11...
Perhaps this issue was addressed by some rolling changes to the hardware that have been rolled out on more recently built cars, including revised "long-shoulder rivets" in the clutch itself, to reduce chatter/vibration during launch, and new right-hand engine mounts to quell a vibration at idle. The shifter itself is revised to make it harder to overshoot "Drive" and end up in "S."
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...much_improved/
Well I stayed on the service department to the tune of my car being in 2 different shops for 40 days since Feb. Now I need to take it back for new issues. I get more issues than I do solutions with this car. I have been a loyal Ford customer for years, but this car has not made me feel good about them lately. I figure most car companies would be the same, but I guess I just expect some type of solution at some point. My wife has a 2013 Elantra GT and it has had zero issues. She loves to pint that out to me each time we take my car and the MFT crashes or the car "growls" each time it shifts.
xpartmgr is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat