2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #71
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Just noticed Ford has upped the rebate on a 2012 from $1,500 to $2,000. Now even if there are no 2012 models to buy that extra $500 will come right out of your pocket if you were to try and trade this soon.
They had a $2k rebate back in February too. That's when I jumped on the Focus... and never saw anything higher than $2k. It's a huge rebate considering you could buy one for $17-18k (if I recall, the rebate isn't $2k for base S sedans).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #72
trahker
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102575
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Metallic SEL Hatch 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 trahker Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
There is a reason 90% of Toyota and Honda cars don't need an engine rebuild or other major repairs for 200k miles.
The last few imports I've owned had engine issues, and they only had 70k to 100k miles on them.

My 88 integra with 100k miles was the most unreliable POS ever, and went through a liter of oil every 2 days.
My gfs 2000 Civic SI had to have the top end rebuilt at 90k miles.
My 2001 Prelude at 70k miles also went through a fair amount of oil, and the back was always covered with soot. And the engine had a terrible ticking noise associated with most VTECs of that era.
All these cars were mechanically inspected before purchasing, driven respectfully and properly maintained.

I just traded my 07 Ranger with 90k miles for a '12 Focus due to gas mileage. Didn't give me one issue ever, always ran great. The Focus now has 4000 miles on it and has been perfect so far. Maybe I've just been unlucky with imports, but Honda engines have really been horrible for me.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #73
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
My girlfriend just traded her 2010 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S in for $11,000 .... pretty basic car she bought for $15,000 3 years ago. No way I could do that a with my 2012 SEL I got (msrp 24k, paid 20k).

I think people that don't buy and sell cars very often get way too fixated on the "trade in price" that the dealer "gives" you. The dealers do these trades hundreds of times per month and they are experts and manipulating you and your emotions. They often show large trade in values for your car, but screw you in the numbers on the new car, so their net is the same and you feel like you got a sweet deal. Now if you just wanted to bring your car in and sell it to them outright, without buying another car from them you'd be in for a rude awakening.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #74
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
I think people that don't buy and sell cars very often get way too fixated on the "trade in price" that the dealer "gives" you. The dealers do these trades hundreds of times per month and they are experts and manipulating you and your emotions. They often show large trade in values for your car, but screw you in the numbers on the new car, so their net is the same and you feel like you got a sweet deal. Now if you just wanted to bring your car in and sell it to them outright, without buying another car from them you'd be in for a rude awakening.
Yes and no. While I agree that the number they give you can be inflated, i don't agree on the manipulation of the numbers. Assuming you're getting a new car, you know the msrp, tax rates, fees, discounts, etc... the only number that better be changing on the offer sheets are the discounts or trade in. Plus, you have the advantage when you want to purchase.... they need/want to sell new cars. They don't really need your used car if you're not taking something off the lot, unless it is a used car only lot.

I guess my point before is that she got 2/3 of her original sale price. I dont think we could do that with the Focus 3 years down the road, but who knows. That's still 29 months away for me. I'd have to get around $13,500 ... and if kbb or nada are even close to right (around $15-15,500 currently), that's not going to happen.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #75
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
Yes and no. While I agree that the number they give you can be inflated, i don't agree on the manipulation of the numbers. Assuming you're getting a new car, you know the msrp, tax rates, fees, discounts, etc... the only number that better be changing on the offer sheets are the discounts or trade in. Plus, you have the advantage when you want to purchase.... they need/want to sell new cars. They don't really need your used car if you're not taking something off the lot, unless it is a used car only lot.

I guess my point before is that she got 2/3 of her original sale price. I dont think we could do that with the Focus 3 years down the road, but who knows. That's still 29 months away for me. I'd have to get around $13,500 ... and if kbb or nada are even close to right (around $15-15,500 currently), that's not going to happen.
There's always numbers they manipulate on dealer holdback, financing incentives etc that you aren't privy to. Of course you can still get good deals, but I constantly talk to people who are fixated on the trade in price and not much else. There was also a period of a year or two where used cars were in fact worth much more than historical trends, that was due to cash for clunkers and the depressed economy which removed millions of vehicles from circulation.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #76
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
There's always numbers they manipulate on dealer holdback, financing incentives etc that you aren't privy to. Of course you can still get good deals, but I constantly talk to people who are fixated on the trade in price and not much else. There was also a period of a year or two where used cars were in fact worth much more than historical trends, that was due to cash for clunkers and the depressed economy which removed millions of vehicles from circulation.
I'll definitely give you that. There are numbers they can work with, otherwise they wouldn't ever come down :)
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #77
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Everyone agrees that a new car will depreciate a lot in the first year. But, what is surprising is the percentage drop. I would expect a 25% drop, but it is more like 40% on the '12 Focus, depending on trim. This past weekend, I saw a new '12 Ti that was marked down $5K. Or a new '12 SE Sport sedan (no moonroof) for $16.5K. How can we compete with that?

If you want a Focus, the smart thing is to wait for the rebates to come (as they surely will, even on the ST). Other MFRs (VW, for example) don't have to do that, so their values tend to hold up somewhat better. That said, the House always wins, no matter what!

My old VW Beetle held up much better (30% value after 6 years & 92K and in fair condition).

I am going to keep my Focus for a while (at least until the MK7 Golf is out). The value can't fall much more, so I'm planning on enjoying it.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #78
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
I agree! I'm hoping to have this car for 5+ years! Current resale doesn't bother me too much, but it definitely sucks to see this happening.

My girlfriend just traded her 2010 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S in for $11,000 .... pretty basic car she bought for $15,000 3 years ago. No way I could do that a with my 2012 SEL I got (msrp 24k, paid 20k).

GENERAL PRICES

2.0 S

Blue BookŪ Sugg Ret Value $13,600 - $13,800

Original Retail Price (MSRP) $17,160

Original Invoice Price N/A
GENERAL PRICES

Thats still a 6000 dollar hit for the base version of the S

Saw this article while looking for the projected resale value.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/12-be...ue-cars-2012#2

12 BEST RESALE VALUE CARS, 2012

CARS UNDER $20,000: FORD FOCUS SE HATCHBACK

Sticker price: $19,095 Invoice price: $17,903 TrueCar national average price: $18,375 3-year resale value: 63%, 5-year: 45% City mpg: 26, Hwy: 36

Part of what clinched the Best New Car award in its class for the Focus was its stellar resale values. Good looks, plenty of standardequipmentandtons of cargo space in the hatchback don't hurt either.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #79
AzulDulceFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94680
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Blk Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 2 AzulDulceFocus Good Standing Member
I don't know about that. I went to the Ford dealership and intended to trade in my "12 Focus for the new "13 Escape, and they were only going to give me $13,000 for my car, and my car is in excellent condition. On the other hand, I bought mine for $23,400 (minus rebates and incentives). Outragous, thats over a $10,000 difference. I said, "I don't think so"!! I'm perfectly happy with my Focus but I did like the extra utility of the new Escape which is why I contemplated getting it. Oh well, maybe something will come around in the future, but now I intend to just stay with my "12 Focus until I pay it off, and then see what I do after that depending how the car holds until then.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #80
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
As long as I own it, doesn't make any difference what it's worth. It's pricless because I love it!

Bookmarks & Social Networks