iPhone 5 & Sync - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology View Post
Could it be that you use your phone while driving and the manager used it while stationary?
I suspect that could be very possible although he told me he was driving 30 to 45mph..
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
That's why they have the adapter being released. Those manufacturers will likely still retain the 30-pin integrated connector for the forseeable future since most people still have iPod classics, and there are now 5 generations of iPhones, 3 generations of iPads, countless generations of iPods, nanos, etc. that all utilize the 30 pin.

But Apple didn't forget about those integrated systems and granted you will have to drop $30 for the 30 pin to Lightning adapter, if you bought a BMW or a car with an integrated iPod cable chances are you can afford an adapter if you HAVE to have the iPhone 5.

I for one am excited about the lightning connector and the iPhone 5, I think an all digital signal will be great especially for those who want to use any peripherals down the line, such as the A/V adapter for those who wish to view content on an HDMI screen and don't have an Apple TV to use airplay with.

Not to mention the reversible connector is win, much like their MagSafe ports on the MacBooks... just a great, albeit small feature to include.
Incorrect. The Lightning-to-30pin adapter transfers audio, but does not support iPod Out. This means that any of the systems that utilize iPod Out and have a built-in iPod cable can not be supported.

Basically, this is BMW and Mini built-in systems. A vast majority of manufacturers that allow for iPod Out also just use a standard USB plug, which means you can plug a normal lightning cable into it. The reason it won't work with BMW/Mini is because they have a physical 30-pin plug hard-lined directly into the system -- there's no normal USB plug.

In those cases, there's nothing that can (currently) be done.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

I should clarify further.

Owners of those systems will still be able to plug in the iPhone 5 (or new iPods) via a lighting-to-30pin adapter and get music, but being able to control it all from the car interface will no longer work. You won't be able to browse the music from the car interface and get the "mirrored view" that it currently allows for. Also, no video playback (another BMW feature).
Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #24
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

Points 72,532, Level 100
Points: 72,532, Level: 100 Points: 72,532, Level: 100 Points: 72,532, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Clean up, Aisle 5. The thread isn't about iPhone vs Android, but the connectivity between iP5 and SYNC. Keep the thread on topic, please.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,251, Level 35
Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Incorrect. The Lightning-to-30pin adapter transfers audio, but does not support iPod Out. This means that any of the systems that utilize iPod Out and have a built-in iPod cable can not be supported.

Basically, this is BMW and Mini built-in systems. A vast majority of manufacturers that allow for iPod Out also just use a standard USB plug, which means you can plug a normal lightning cable into it. The reason it won't work with BMW/Mini is because they have a physical 30-pin plug hard-lined directly into the system -- there's no normal USB plug.

In those cases, there's nothing that can (currently) be done.
You are correct, my bad. Oh well... doesn't affect me at the end of the day.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #26
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,251, Level 35
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
I should clarify further.

Owners of those systems will still be able to plug in the iPhone 5 (or new iPods) via a lighting-to-30pin adapter and get music, but being able to control it all from the car interface will no longer work. You won't be able to browse the music from the car interface and get the "mirrored view" that it currently allows for. Also, no video playback (another BMW feature).
Good clarification, this is good news atleast.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Good clarification, this is good news atleast.
Ya, and honestly there is most likely a way to just wire in your own plug to get all of those features working anyway. Just find out where the wire goes and splice in a lightning cable instead of the 30-pin. Problem solved. All of the features should be supported perfectly.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #28
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,251, Level 35
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Ya, and honestly there is most likely a way to just wire in your own plug to get all of those features working anyway. Just find out where the wire goes and splice in a lightning cable instead of the 30-pin. Problem solved. All of the features should be supported perfectly.
Agreed, it really shouldn't require that much effort, although if you limit yourself that way, then you have to buy the iPhone 5, and the new line of iPod in order to get iPod out on all your devices.

Glad we just have a USB so we don't have to deal with this, lol
Sonic Crew #28
Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
The 30 pin to Lightning adapter looks very large... are you sure that it doesn't perform an analogue to digital conversion within it? I think the whole point of the adapter is to make things work precisely as they did before... losing everything but the sound would be a pretty big oversight if that were true.

I think that's part of why it's huge, and quite pricey. Certainly not an adapter I'd want to deal with, but it's probably the best they could do.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
natemac
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97978
What I Drive: 2012 Black sFe

FF Reputation: 1 natemac Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Verge
...but also means that you’ll need an adapter to get any sort of analog signal — or to use your existing iPhone cables. For instance, the $29 Lightning to 30-pin Adapter will allow you to use an original 30-pin cable to sync, to charge, and it has an embedded DAC (digital-to-analog converter) to provide analog audio out. With the adapter, you should be able to connect a new iPhone or iPod to compatible car stereos for listening to music on the go.
The Verge - Apple's new Lightning connector sends shockwaves through the accessory market

Do we know how SYNC handles audio? Would it handle it Digitally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
...Apple also announced the new Lightning connector, which replaces the 30-pin connector to which we have become accustomed, and is more of a mixed bag in terms of in-car connectivity.
The new connector still works with USB ports, so any automaker that employs such an outlet in its vehicles will have no issue.
iPhone 5 gets native turn-by-turn navigation, car connectivity questions remain

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.