End of the "Ranger" in North America.Good or bad news for Ford? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #51
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes, let's blast Ford for being financially responsible and cutting off a product that was selling bad.

Reminds me, when will they axe Lincoln already?

The Ranger is a nice concept, a small truck, but if you really need a truck that badly rent a F150 for the days you do and otherwise get a car that makes more sense.

Hell, a CTS Wagon seems like a better choice for those that like to haul things, or a Jetta TDI Wagon for those that want some fuel efficiency.

I get small trucks, but just because I understand the need doesn't mean there is enough of one in our market to bring one over or to retool production lines to make one here.

Face it, Ford is just being smart in cutting off vestigial products.

You can agree or disagree, that's fine; Ford has guys that study the markets and decide what makes more sense and what doesn't. Not saying they are infallible but by killing off the Ranger and Panther they did the right thing. Time to move on with the times.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #52
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Yes, let's blast Ford for being financially responsible and cutting off a product that was selling bad.

The Ranger is a nice concept, a small truck, but if you really need a truck that badly rent a F150 for the days you do and otherwise get a car that makes more sense.

Hell, a CTS Wagon seems like a better choice for those that like to haul things, or a Jetta TDI Wagon for those that want some fuel efficiency.

I get small trucks, but just because I understand the need doesn't mean there is enough of one in our market to bring one over or to retool production lines to make one here.

You can agree or disagree, that's fine; Ford has guys that study the markets and decide what makes more sense and what doesn't. Not saying they are infallible but by killing off the Ranger and Panther they did the right thing. Time to move on with the times.
The reason why Ranger was selling so badly is because Ford didn't update/modernize the Ranger over the years to keep up with the competition like they should have(the 2.3 liter "Lima"4 cyl engines alone date as far back to the Ford Pinto/Mercury Bobcat era). In this day and age as far as competition goes pickup trucks can't go 10 years without major redesigns. In fact of all the compact/midsize pickup trucks in the U.S. market only the Tacoma and the Frontier have been in constant production due to those two keeping up with the times.

Why should a customer purchase your product if you don't take the time to INVEST IN IT in the first place?
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #53
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:

Yeah buddy, hush. Focusfanatics knows more about the truck business than Ford Motor.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #54
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
Yeah buddy, hush. Focusfanatics knows more about the truck business than Ford Motor.
Actually, if you bothered reading my post which I know you didn't, you'd realize I said the opposite.

Ford knows more about the truck business then us, certainly a lot more than the people who even buy their trucks.

If they killed the Ranger our market then they probably have many valid reasons for doing so.

So kindly stop putting words into my mouth

Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #55
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Actually, if you bothered reading my post which I know you didn't, you'd realize I said the opposite.

Ford knows more about the truck business then us, certainly a lot more than the people who even buy their trucks.

If they killed the Ranger our market then they probably have many valid reasons for doing so.

So kindly stop putting words into my mouth
I was being absurdly sarcastic. I agree with you. I read your posts, had you read mine the sarcasm would have been more obvious.

The internet experts on here have concluded that a truck company has screwed the pooch and walked away from a bundle of cash in truck sales and that the only reason the Ranger didn't sell enough to be economically viable is because it hadn't gotten a modern facelift. Meanwhile they ignore the Return on said Investment (SHOCKING), the risk of said investment (SHOCKING), the decline in sales of small trucks in NA (SHOCKING) and the fact that the F150 provides all the capablity and more of the Ranger at basically the same price.

In a nutshell you've got people who know jack about the car business other than what they think is cool and the nameplate fans suggesting that a truck maker doesn't know how to sell trucks. I find it full of sad, pathetic humor.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #56
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
Ford was selling a little more than 50 000 Rangers a year even if the truck was ridiculously outdated.

Can you imagine how much they would sell if the Ranger had a 2.5 l 4cyl ,a 3.7 l V6 and an updated look?
Probably not enough to cover the development costs and retooling of a production line. Most likely they have done the analysis and decided that they can make more money producing another model that the new Ranger would have taken the space from.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #57
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
Probably not enough to cover the development costs and retooling of a production line. Most likely they have done the analysis and decided that they can make more money producing another model that the new Ranger would have taken the space from.
Well, North American sales probably were projected to be worse.

The rest of the world gets this, mainly because These actually sell everywhere else. America is all about the bigger trucks.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #58
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

That's what I meant. They probably make more money building F-150's on a line then to retool it for the Ranger.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #59
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Of course! It's an conspiracy!

They must have bought shares in Chrysler when they stopped making a mini van too.

Or maybe, just maybe, as the only Big Three that didn't need a bail-out, they have a good grip on the market and what is profitable for them to produce.

They may be giving up on a small market share in the small pickup category, but 10 to 1 it's because it's more profitable for them to build other vehicles. There's only a finite amount production lines to use, so why dedicate one to build a small market vehicle when they can produce another one with higher demand?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #60
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Ford knows the market better than most...

Notice how they were the first to pull out of vans? First to dump their now rather obviously unprofitable small trucks?

You don't get to become as massive and successful as Ford by catering to the 0.01% of customers like you who come up with all these crazy cars but never buy them. That does not make a business.

Ask SAAB how that went. Oh wait, you can't. They died because they were too stupid to move with the times and kept investing in financial black holes.

At least Ford, for our market, is smart enough to avoid such pitfalls.

Bookmarks & Social Networks