Another SGM MKIII Build Dyno Thread! - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #91
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
I'll have to look at that. It's not engine compartment air, so it should be coming in through the grill or lower triangle area, right? I wonder if using a drill bit or small hole saw to make a 10sq inch opening would produce the same effects? I may drill out my newmissioned box like that, then use some tape to gradually open up the holes. Go too far, re-tape.

Yea. Now I have air from behind the grill like the factory but opened up wih no horn and flap to restrict it, from my variation of new mission, and opening in air box behind the headlight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #92
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

Fan#: 8331
What I Drive: 2012 White SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 6 Trav-E2.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Well, I opened up the front of the air box behind the headlight and I can feel a noticeable difference and see it on the speedo and tach when it revs through the gears. I just opened it a little each day until I just started to get boxer engine like resonance and stopped. Ended up with about a 2" tall by 5" wide opening.

Works very well other my other intake mods.
I need pics to see what you're talking about. I have an image in my head, but want to be sure.

Dyn085...Quick question. I was gonna ask this in the other thread, but I figured it would be more on topic here. Did you do any of your pulls with the lid off? I read through this thread and may have skipped over it.

Mods: FSwerks Race Exhaust, K&N Typhoon SRI, MS3 CP-E RMM, Tuned By: Tom, Steeda STS, Eibach Sportlines, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and Anarchy Motive GM Shiftknob

Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #93
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
Dyn085...Quick question. I was gonna ask this in the other thread, but I figured it would be more on topic here. Did you do any of your pulls with the lid off? I read through this thread and may have skipped over it.
No, I didn't do any pulls with the lid off to the best of my recollection. I do believe that Red did a pull sometime earlier in this year or last with the lid off and saw 2 additional hp, but I haven't actually seen a graph by him or another member that supports it.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Old 09-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #94
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Lid off is just so obnoxiously loud. I like Matt's method of opening it up until the resonance hits. I think my method of smaller holes to achieve the 10sq in might be ideal, as the holes can be taped off to reduce the total opening if you go too far.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Old 09-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #95
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

So in theory, by removing the lid, you can achieve more hp than cutting into the stock box. The only draw back is the sound?

Mods: FSwerks Race Exhaust, K&N Typhoon SRI, MS3 CP-E RMM, Tuned By: Tom, Steeda STS, Eibach Sportlines, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and Anarchy Motive GM Shiftknob

Old 09-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #96
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
So in theory, by removing the lid, you can achieve more hp than cutting into the stock box. The only draw back is the sound?
Sound is objective, some like it and some don't. I am in the latter category, though I don't have anything against the former. Sounded awesome at wot but i xan't drive like that everywhere

That being said, the main drawback is that the filter is exposed to engine-bay heat. Thia can lead to heat soak in stop-and-go driving, which will make the car sluggish. I am curious as to how well it would perform for someone who has 90% highway commute, though, because warm air burns more readily than cold which would theoretically lead to better mpg's in that state.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #97
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

My normal commute is 20 miles each way which is 90% hwy. But, for the past week I've been covering merch routes and doing honey do's for the districts. So I've been more stop and go city. More or less 60% hwy 40% city. Since I bought the car last Saturday, my avg mpg has been 30 before I put the k&n drop in filter on. I did a fill up after I got the k&n and so far I've been at avg 32 mpg with sort of the same stop and go. I've had the lid off pretty much since day one and felt no sluggishness at lights or in traffic. This next fill up I'll put the lid back on and post my findings.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #98
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
dyn085, I can't really make out how much, if any was gained in the runs with only the snorkel delete and K&N drop-in. What is a reasonable expectation for this. I see people claiming anywhere from a few to 10 whp with this mod alone. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #99
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von551 View Post
dyn085, I can't really make out how much, if any was gained in the runs with only the snorkel delete and K&N drop-in. What is a reasonable expectation for this. I see people claiming anywhere from a few to 10 whp with this mod alone. Thanks!
Yeah, this thread was kinda cobbled-up when my build thread started getting retarded. It isn't very user-friendly.

You can roughly expect 8hp, 5tq. I've had higher numbers, but I would rather say 8 and have someone get 10 than vice-versa. Considering that it is <$50 and <30 minutes of work, I see it as a no-brainer for the average Joe.

Fwiw, I actually prefer the overall powerband of this than any other intake I've used. Other intakes produce more top-end, but this is much more linear and available immediately.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #100
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Yeah, this thread was kinda cobbled-up when my build thread started getting retarded. It isn't very user-friendly.

You can roughly expect 8hp, 5tq. I've had higher numbers, but I would rather say 8 and have someone get 10 than vice-versa. Considering that it is <$50 and <30 minutes of work, I see it as a no-brainer for the average Joe.

Fwiw, I actually prefer the overall powerband of this than any other intake I've used. Other intakes produce more top-end, but this is much more linear and available immediately.
Thanks, good to know. That's what I figured. Good to hear it's better than a CAI because I don't want the sound of one. I like having a sleeper that's faster than it looks and not the other way around. I'll get the filter soon, e focus rmm, and then do an SCT tune, should be it. Thanks again!

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks