2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #51
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
It must be a US thing, the Canadian KBB values are pretty good, at least I thought they were respectable and better than the competition anyway. Besides, if you purchase a car solely based on resale, you're never going to be happy with your purchase....
Don't go by KBB. According to KBB my Focus is worth 21,500 - 23,500.
According to two dealers I have had it appraised at, it's worth 18,000.
That's for a loaded 5 door titanium with 7,500km. And its in mint shape.
Your car is worth what the market will bear and in the case of the Focus, not much.
Cars in general are a poor investment. Unfortunately the Focus becomes junk bond status a little sooner than most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #52
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
Cars are NOT an investment..
I agree, but...

There usually is an expectation of a "reasonable" value.

If someone was offered $5000 for a car (low mileage, excellent condition) that they purchased 2 years ago for $20000, they may not feel very good about it.

If I understand the thinking behind many of the responses here, it doesn't matter what the value of the car is in the above scenario simply because cars are not an investment.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #53
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
This is true, even though the Hondas and toyotas holding higher value baffles me. They aren't that much better built than the Fords, the old ones, and the new ones are a step down.
In any case, buying a car based off its future resale value is a dumb way to buy a car.
really? how long have you been driving? you see way more old civics and corollas on the road than vegas or pintos.

american small cars were junk for a long time and while that may have changed the perception will take longer to turn around.

my last six vehicles have been toyotas. in fact i still have my tundra. if you would have told me three years ago that i would one day buy a new ford i would have said you were nuts.

i recently rented a focus and i really liked the car. so after testing a couple other cars (Japanese) i bought a new focus. my main concern is long term reliability. but i was willing to take the chance. i still wouldn't own anything made by GM unless i was paid to drive it.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #54
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Part fact on reliability and part public perception is what drives resale values and Foci have never held a high resale value especially around here. Toyota trucks and Subarus command very good resale values in this state so some of it's regional.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #55
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I agree, but...

There usually is an expectation of a "reasonable" value.

If someone was offered $5000 for a car (low mileage, excellent condition) that they purchased 2 years ago for $20000, they may not feel very good about it.

If I understand the thinking behind many of the responses here, it doesn't matter what the value of the car is in the above scenario simply because cars are not an investment.
I guess it boils down to your intentions are with the vehicle. For all of us that buy cars to drive them, thats the only point of buying it. to drive it. The only time the monetary value of a car really becomes a big deal is if:

A. after a Non-fault accident for insurance reasons for replacement or repair
(ie is the vehicle damaged beyond the point where it makes financial sense to spend the money to repair it or is it cheaper to just replace it with an identical vehicle.)

or...

B. As a dealer of used vehicles where you purchase the vehicles with the intention to sell them for profit.

If the car was 20K new and after two years with low mileage and nothing wrong with it, it's only worth 5k. My thoughts are, if there are no problems and its low mileage, just keep it and drive it.

I come from a school of thought where you buy a car, you drive it until the wheels fall of from it.. and it is to the point where it isn't cost effective to repair it anymore over buying another one..

The car i traded off for my focus was that way..
It was 9 years old, with 68,000 miles and it was quite literally junk. It needed a new clutch, the shifter was worn out to the point it was trying to hit both first and third gears at the same time, the front suspension was shot, and the thing was starting to get cancerous rust. Also had some valvetrain noise that was rather alarming for the mileage.

If the value of a car is so important after 1 or 2 years, buy it when its 1 or 2 years old...
Old 09-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #56
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
really? how long have you been driving? you see way more old civics and corollas on the road than vegas or pintos.
When I got married to my first wife in the mid 70's she brought a 73 Corolla to the marriage. It was by far a worse piece of junk than any American made car of the time. The only reason Corolla's and Civics sold at all was they were cheap. And you never see a Corolla or Civic from the Vega/Pinto era on the road but you do see Vega's and Pinto's. The biggest issue with American compacts from the 70's was they just scaled them down size wise from a midsize car and full size Americans didn't fit.

After I parted ways with the ex in the early 80's I dated a young lady that had a Toyota pickup. This was another raging piece of crap. Two years old and the upholstery was splitting, there were numerous rot holes and it was in constant need of electrical repairs.

The Japanese cars didn't establish a quality advantage until the late 80's and it was more perceived than real.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #57
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
And you never see a Corolla or Civic from the Vega/Pinto era on the road but you do see Vega's and Pinto's.

not where i live. i saw a vega the other day and it startled me. hey i owned a pontiac astre and i doubt there was a worse car made tho the pontiac J and cars were pretty close. i also owned a pinto wagon....one of the years that would turn into a funeral pyre if rear-ended.

but we digress.

my point is the japanese cars hold their values much better for whatever reason. price a 10-year-old taurus against a camry or accord.

another thing. i will agree that the civic and corolla are nothing special these days but the prius and honda fit are.

when i decided to buy a small car i had i narrowed down to the honda fit or the focus. i had driven a rental focus for three days and i liked it alot. the fit on the other had looks too futuristic to me and it is gutless.

an hour after the test drive of the fit i was driving off the lot with my new focus.

so i bought the focus based on looks and performance but there's little doubt in my mind that the honda will require less maintenance over the long haul and will have a better resale value. i bought the car i wanted to drive.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #58
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: Red Candy '12 SE Sport Hatch 5spd

FF Reputation: 6 RedComet Good Standing Member
KBB is not really that reliable in terms of trade-in values. I've gotten a lot less, and significantly more in trade-in deals with various cars vs. what KBB shows. Most dealers I've went to don't so much as look at KBB. They also make a musical instrument KBB edition, and when I worked selling high-end musical equipment, KBB was essentially contraband/worth toilet paper to us.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, Stock
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 09-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #59
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
This is true, even though the Hondas and toyotas holding higher value baffles me. They aren't that much better built than the Fords, the old ones, and the new ones are a step down.

In any case, buying a car based off its future resale value is a dumb way to buy a car.
There is a reason 90% of Toyota and Honda cars don't need an engine rebuild or other major repairs for 200k miles.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #60
blank102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96549
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 blank102 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
This car seems to keep dropping $1000 every month I check it on KBB.com. My SE Hatchback, had a value of $14,900 last month...now it's down to $13,977 for trade-in value. Two months ago is was in the $15,500 range. My car only has 12,600 miles on it.
I am definitely ditching this thing next summer....it'll still have a full 12,000 miles of factory warranty on it too.
I've never owned a vehicle whose value seems to be tanking this fast.
Please to find me an American made car that holds its value?

Bookmarks & Social Networks