2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Using the Mazda Speed 3 as a comparison to a run-of-the-mill Focus isn't really a fair comparison. To me, that's like saying a Cobra Mustang's value held up so much better than a V6 Camaro. Of course it did!!

I'd suggest comparing your focus' value to that of a similar year Mazda 3, or after it's been out for a year or so, compare the Speed 3 depreciation to that of the Focus ST.

Point being, while I agree it sucks, I don't think the Focus' value is dropping any more significantly than other comparable cars.

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You realize there are also LOTS of '12 Focuses on the road, right? Lots of supply, and they are now last year's model too.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #23
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Cool, we'll ignore the fact that it goes into exactly what I just said and that that page doesn't come up using the query you posted.
It was an attempt at humor. Believe it or not I was trying to educate you so that you don't get raped at the dealer because you don't know what you're talking about.

Here's the bottom line, you CAN sell a car while you owe money on it. It can be accomplished several ways. I HAVE DONE IT MYSELF. Is it as easy as doing it at a dealer? No, but you are going to pay thousands of dollars for that convenience. If you want to do that that's your prerogative, but don't mislead others here who may not choose to take that path.

Here's one more, and I'm done arguing with you.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Selling-A-...ien&id=6799136
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #24
xBigone101x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89090
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 xBigone101x Good Standing Member
i traded in my 12 titanium for an st they gave my 18k for it it had 15k miles had it for one year exactly and i went by the dealership today and saw it on the lot for $23,900 who know what they will get for it but i bought the car for 25k so

SoCal Crew #96
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #25
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
I just sold my '01 focus with low mileage and in excellent condition for 6k. I paid 16k for it brand new with every option i could get on it then. I think i did well for a 12 year old car. I kno its not a '12 focus but it does give one an idea of resale value after a decade +
Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
When I buy a car I buy it for a purpose.

1.) I love it.
2.) I'm going to keep it for the long run.
3.) It's an investment.

When you approach it that way it doesn't matter what it's worth in year to a dealership or private party, because it's yours. Just my .02. Good luck with yours.
I agree with your first two points, but there is not a car in this class that would be considered an "investment".

I DID laugh though when I read that so thanks !
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
I agree with your first two points, but there is not a car in this class that would be considered an "investment".

I DID laugh though when I read that so thanks !
Actually, I did buy my 2012 Focus as an investment....but not as one may think of it as such. I like investments that pay dividends in addition to their overall worth. Yes, the Focus is devaluating but it is also paying a good dividend. Here is how it works:

- I lay out the money for the car
- I finance the remainder so there is a monthly payment for 'X' years
- I pay more for insurance each month for 'X' years

The return is I just went from 15 MPG in my 'paid off' 13-year old pickup to 32 MPG in the Focus. So, my 'investment' was in a 'tool' that pretty much cuts my monthly fuel bill in 1/2 and, based on how far I drive in a year, it works out to about $250/month. Not enough to cover the cost of the car and increase in insurance (I kept my truck) on a monthly basis but $250/month multiplied by 4 solid years is a good return. If it stays in the stable for the next 10 years it gets even better.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #28
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
#3.) Unless your a dealer, you are "purchasing" a car, not "investing" in one. An investment is a purchase of something such as stocks, bonds, real estate, business, etc. with the real possibility of it increasing in value! A new car certainly wont do that. Your car should start to hold better value as time goes on. These are good and popular cars, and should only radically depreciate the first two years. One of the main devaluation issues with your 1 yr old car is rebates and sales. Our local dealer has several nheew ones for 18 to 22 thousand.
Make it yours. Do some mods, have fun with it. That adds personal value to your car. This is a great forum for that. These guys and gals seem willing to help any one with anything. To me, that gives the Focus great value, more that just the money loss from the first couple years. Just remember, have fun with it!
This.

I've never looked at a car as an investment. It does nothing but depreciate over time, This hows double for a mass produced economy car. Cars that hold value are usually the rare or top model offerings but you'll still lose money save you finding some one that is covating your car and willing to pay your asking price.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
Actually, I did buy my 2012 Focus as an investment....but not as one may think of it as such. I like investments that pay dividends in addition to their overall worth. Yes, the Focus is devaluating but it is also paying a good dividend. Here is how it works:

- I lay out the money for the car
- I finance the remainder so there is a monthly payment for 'X' years
- I pay more for insurance each month for 'X' years

The return is I just went from 15 MPG in my 'paid off' 13-year old pickup to 32 MPG in the Focus. So, my 'investment' was in a 'tool' that pretty much cuts my monthly fuel bill in 1/2 and, based on how far I drive in a year, it works out to about $250/month. Not enough to cover the cost of the car and increase in insurance (I kept my truck) on a monthly basis but $250/month multiplied by 4 solid years is a good return. If it stays in the stable for the next 10 years it gets even better.
Okay, I see how you rationalize a Focus as an investment. In the automobile industry, an "investment" type of car might be something that you get at a Barrett Jackson auction say for 50k and sell it 10 years later for 100k. That could be an old Jag, Shelby Cobra, etc. etc. That is an investment. There is NOTHING that is being produced today as "daily drivers" that would be considered an investment. The Focus is a great little car but disposable in a few years for sure. Then it will be time to buy another INVESTMENT so you can get to work.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #30
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
A car is not an investment it is a deppreciable asset. You really cannot go by KBB. it doesnt take into account used car surplus. Also most insurance companies and dealers use NADA to determine valus. I dont buy a car for what it may be worth in the future, i buy it because i like it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->