2012 Focus is NOT holding value - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
its just a number on a web site, its doesn't mean that if you trade the car in right now that is the maximum and/or minimum value that you would get.

When looking at used car prices on KBB for the last year I found all the numbers to be highly inflated. So I wouldn't put much stock in the numbers, they are just a guide.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can always sell it yourself and get $2,000+ or more than the screwjob the dealer will give you. And FWIW Edmunds says that our cars are worth substantially more than KBB does.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrApple View Post
its just a number on a web site, its doesn't mean that if you trade the car in right now that is the maximum and/or minimum value that you would get.

When looking at used car prices on KBB for the last year I found all the numbers to be highly inflated. So I wouldn't put much stock in the numbers, they are just a guide.
It may just be a number on a website, but it's one that most dealers I've been to have used.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
You can always sell it yourself and get $2,000+ or more than the screwjob the dealer will give you.
Not if you financed it.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Not if you financed it.
Huh? Of course you can!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=selling+a+car+that%27s+financed

*edit* I should add that if you have negative equity that complicates the situation for sure and that may be the case here...
Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Did you even read anything that your query brought up? You can't sell it until it is paid off because you don't own the title. If you pay it off, it is no longer financed.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
rangerbay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76247
What I Drive: 2001 white zts,2001 white wagon,

FF Reputation: 2 rangerbay Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
When I buy a car I buy it for a purpose.

1.) I love it.
2.) I'm going to keep it for the long run.
3.) It's an investment.

When you approach it that way it doesn't matter what it's worth in year to a dealership or private party, because it's yours. Just my .02. Good luck with yours.
#3.) Unless your a dealer, you are "purchasing" a car, not "investing" in one. An investment is a purchase of something such as stocks, bonds, real estate, business, etc. with the real possibility of it increasing in value! A new car certainly wont do that. Your car should start to hold better value as time goes on. These are good and popular cars, and should only radically depreciate the first two years. One of the main devaluation issues with your 1 yr old car is rebates and sales. Our local dealer has several new ones for 18 to 22 thousand.
Make it yours. Do some mods, have fun with it. That adds personal value to your car. This is a great forum for that. These guys and gals seem willing to help any one with anything. To me, that gives the Focus great value, more that just the money loss from the first couple years. Just remember, have fun with it!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Did you even read anything that your query brought up? You can't sell it until it is paid off because you don't own the title. If you pay it off, it is no longer financed.
My god man, here I'll spoon feed you.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....bject=how_sell

Quote:
Selling Your Car if You Owe Money on It
By Staff
It's possible to sell a car even if you still have an outstanding loan balance on the vehicle. This just adds a step to the transaction: closing the loan with your lender.

Call your lending institution to determine the best way to close out the loan. At the same time, ask about obtaining a lien release, which states that there are no outstanding loan obligations on your car.
If you owe more on your loan than you can readily pay prior to a sale, it's possible to close the loan and transfer ownership at the same time. For instance, Escrow.com can facilitate payment to the lien holder during a normal escrow transaction. There are other sites that offer this service; be sure to thoroughly check out any site where you might transfer your money.
If neither of these options is satisfactory, conduct the sale at the bank or credit union that holds the title or lien on your car. Just pay off the loan balance with the sale proceeds and sign over the title to the new owner. Call the lending institution beforehand to facilitate this transaction. If the lien holder is out of state, take the bill of sale to your state's Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a temporary operating permit for the buyer. Then, once you've paid off the loan, you can send the signed title to the new owner. While this option involves more faith on the part of the buyer, you can tell the buyer that it's also in your best interest to transfer the title as soon as possible to eliminate your personal liability.
Leased cars represent a different situation. If you want to transfer your current lease to a new owner, you're better off using a lease-transfer service
Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
#3.) Unless your a dealer, you are "purchasing" a car, not "investing" in one. An investment is a purchase of something such as stocks, bonds, real estate, business, etc. with the real possibility of it increasing in value! A new car certainly wont do that. Your car should start to hold better value as time goes on. These are good and popular cars, and should only radically depreciate the first two years. One of the main devaluation issues with your 1 yr old car is rebates and sales. Our local dealer has several new ones for 18 to 22 thousand.
Make it yours. Do some mods, have fun with it. That adds personal value to your car. This is a great forum for that. These guys and gals seem willing to help any one with anything. To me, that gives the Focus great value, more that just the money loss from the first couple years. Just remember, have fun with it!
Agreed. Let me clarify. I "invest" in a car that does this to me whenever I see it. I "invest" in a car that will safely move my family and I safely from point A to B and everything in between. And the investment for me is in something that I can call my own and like you sad, enjoy.

*note* Those "investments" are not in a particular order!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
My god man, here I'll spoon feed you.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....bject=how_sell
Cool, we'll ignore the fact that it goes into exactly what I just said and that that page doesn't come up using the query you posted.

Bookmarks & Social Networks