Just drove a ST - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
Your comment was.And I quote:"Don't buy the first one on the lot! Everyone at the dealership thrashed this one."

That doesn't sound much like a compliment to the dealership.If you don't want us to judge the professionalism of those employees,you should use a better words to discribe your experience.
Some people will want to buy the ST and then drive it like my great-grandpa was driving. Some will buy it and put it in the garage so it never sees rain for the next 10 years. Some will park 3 miles from the grocery store so nobody parks next to them when they drive it.

And then there are those that will think the tires are inadequate for next Sunday's autocross event. Some will race it at the racetrack. Some will drive it to work, school, and the mall and never wash it.

My point is that what you plan to do with a car is your business and it really doesn't matter. 'Trashing' a car is an opinion and a very subjective comment. I buy cars to drive them. A turbo car is made to spin up the turbo...but that is just my opinion. If my brother bought an ST you would never see it again for the next 10 years and then you would be able to buy it, looking like brand new with less than 5000 miles on it when he wants the Gen IV version....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
Some people will want to buy the ST and then drive it like my great-grandpa was driving. Some will buy it and put it in the garage so it never sees rain for the next 10 years. Some will park 3 miles from the grocery store so nobody parks next to them when they drive it.

And then there are those that will think the tires are inadequate for next Sunday's autocross event. Some will race it at the racetrack. Some will drive it to work, school, and the mall and never wash it.

My point is that what you plan to do with a car is your business and it really doesn't matter. 'Trashing' a car is an opinion and a very subjective comment. I buy cars to drive them. A turbo car is made to spin up the turbo...but that is just my opinion. If my brother bought an ST you would never see it again for the next 10 years and then you would be able to buy it, looking like brand new with less than 5000 miles on it when he wants the Gen IV version....
Was there a point to this?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
1sloho
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,332, Level 77
Points: 14,332, Level: 77 Points: 14,332, Level: 77 Points: 14,332, Level: 77
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post

Completely agree, when its ur car. But when a dealership does it to a car they are gonna eventually sell to an unsuspecting customer......
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Every thread goes like this, these days.

How about people in Ottawa, Virginia Beach, Littleton, etc.... not worry about a dealer in Kentucky. Not likely to affect your lives! Who knows, maybe they're using it as a demo car and selling it as such.

Most people who want to buy this car, and who have to sell it, need to drive one (and properly) to see what it's all about. I would want to test one out if I were buying, and I'd want my salesman and the service techs to know how the car normally behaves.

OP, that's quite cool that you got to try it out. I agree, I should stay away from it or I'll find my Focus so mundane, I'll have no option but to trade up!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
I bought my dealer demo Titanium knowing full well what was probably done to it.

So I was surprised when I found out this was actually the dealerships service managers car for 8400km. Not a demo car that got customer time, just a car that got employee time.

It still had a hint of new car smell and as far as I could have figured out, didn't have a hint of wear.

So the ST. If the dealer moves it over to demo status they are free to do whatever the hell they want to it. Its their car and they can trash it or baby it as much as they want.

And I don't think that dealer will be selling that ST any time soon, they'll probably keep it for test drive/demo purposes kinda like how all new cars are treated, you don't sell a demo till you have significant stock remaining to start doing so and even then it won't till the next model year if even that.

So I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape about what a dealer is doing to car that they won't even buy...

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98205
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTi, United Grey

FF Reputation: 3 BaconZombie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Wow, this escalated quickly...

Going to the dealership and driving an ST without buying it is like going and sleeping with Jessica Biel/Jessica Alba/Jennifer Lawrenece/Kate Beckinsale/Jennifer Aniston/Eliza Dushku, whoever floats your boat, and then going home to your wife/girlfriend. While you still love her, you're still going to be disappointed later.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

Points 1,526, Level 22
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconZombie View Post

Going to the dealership and driving an ST without buying it is like going and sleeping with Jessica Biel/Jessica Alba/Jennifer Lawrenece/Kate Beckinsale/Jennifer Aniston/Eliza Dushku, whoever floats your boat, and then going home to your wife/girlfriend. While you still love her, you're still going to be disappointed later.
muahahahaahah....

Our Lady of blessed acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
But.... why read facts and investigate a claim when it supports your ideology?
...that should be written as 'The First Law of Internet Forums'
Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
ohnoy2k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97037
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch w/DCT

FF Reputation: 1 ohnoy2k Good Standing Member
Quote:

I wish I could quote this in my signature... haha

it's a shame my dealer hasn't received one
Old 09-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,437, Level 65
Points: 9,437, Level: 65 Points: 9,437, Level: 65 Points: 9,437, Level: 65
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That's weird, I've driven several Focus STs at a Ford event at their test track on the high speed track. I liked it more than the other cars like the 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 l atx. However I wasn't disappointed by my SEL afterwards, but I get along with my dct and usually drive much more mellow in traffic so the mpg is nice.

Got to thrash some Ford owned examples to 80 mph and feel the turbo come on song and chasing down the mustangs.

There were two chicanes to slow down for and really feel the power. I loved the 6 mt but the clutch takes a few laps to get used to.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,669, Level 38
Points: 3,669, Level: 38 Points: 3,669, Level: 38 Points: 3,669, Level: 38
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:

Many people (myself included) had much faster/better handling cars before their 2012 Focus.

I'm not disappointed at all.

The reality is that in 99% of normal everyday driving, the extra HP / better handling buys you *nothing*. The road that I do 40 MPH on in one car is the road that I will do 40 MPH on in any car.

In any case, the ST is not exactly a performance monster so it's nothing to get so excited about. One could say that a ST owner should never drive a Mustang GT...

Bookmarks & Social Networks