1st/Reverse/Drive by Wire? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
pje65
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99262
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 pje65 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1st/Reverse/Drive by Wire?

Hi, everyone.

I bought my car in late May. I'm glad I bought it and enjoy driving it. However, I've been fighting 1st gear on certain days and can't figure out why. I suppose I should preface this by saying that I've been driving manuals almost exclusively for most of the past 30 years, though I inexplicably decided to buy a Prius for my last car. I had that for 5 or 6 years. I've never had any problems with any gears before. I've driven, at various times, a few Toyotas, a few Hondas, a Mazda or two, even my mom's 1986 Hyundai Excel, the worst car I've ever driven. However, I've never driven an American manual before, and I've never driven a drive by wire manual before either. Here's what's going on:

1) I read somewhere on here that you can go backwards in reverse without any gas, and that this has something to do with the drive by wire. Well, it's true that you don't need gas. I haven't used any ever since I read that. In fact, even without any gas, I find myself going MUCH too fast in reverse. It's faster in reverse than any other car I've ever driven. This is a big problem in parking lots, esp. when you're parked between two large SUVs and can't see a damn thing when you're trying to back up. So, I find myself riding the clutch, something I've never done before. I suppose I could brake as I take my foot off the clutch, but I just can't seem to get my head around doing that. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

2) First gear is completely normal on some days but unpredictable on others. It's been warm the past couple of days--around 80--and the car's been extremely smooth in all gears on both days. When I've had the air conditioner on, I've had mixed results. Sometimes it drives fine. Sometimes, it will start moving, then suddenly become very sluggish, as though I'm driving through a patch of sand. Then it will be OK after that. On a couple of days, I've fought 1st gear all the way to work. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to these behaviors. I've started warming the car up a little bit in the morning. That seems to help a little bit with the reverse issue. However, I can't imagine that this could be the main cause of my issues, as the coldest it's ever been in the morning since I bought the car has been around 50.

So, I guess I'm seeking input. I'm wondering if I'm fighting the car a little bit because the computer is trying to do things for me that I'm not expecting it to do. I test drove a MINI before I decided on a Focus, and I'll never forget sitting there in 1st gear with the clutch in. When I took my foot off the brake, it went forward. Very strange. Does this car do things like that too? On the other hand, is it possible that my manual driving skills have eroded over the past 5+ years? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 7,787, Level 59
Points: 7,787, Level: 59 Points: 7,787, Level: 59 Points: 7,787, Level: 59
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Have you gotten all the new flashes for your car?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,237, Level 28
Points: 2,237, Level: 28 Points: 2,237, Level: 28 Points: 2,237, Level: 28
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pje65 View Post
1) I read somewhere on here that you can go backwards in reverse without any gas, and that this has something to do with the drive by wire. Well, it's true that you don't need gas. I haven't used any ever since I read that. In fact, even without any gas, I find myself going MUCH too fast in reverse. It's faster in reverse than any other car I've ever driven. This is a big problem in parking lots, esp. when you're parked between two large SUVs and can't see a damn thing when you're trying to back up. So, I find myself riding the clutch, something I've never done before. I suppose I could brake as I take my foot off the clutch, but I just can't seem to get my head around doing that. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
This is something that should be able to be done with any manual transmission in cars and motorcycles. Finding the clutch engagement point without using the accelerator pedal is the first thing you should do when learning to drive manual transmissions. Drive-by-wire has nothing to do with this. I've always ridden the clutch pretty heavy in reverse. I've been driving manuals for 16 years and haven't needed to replace a clutch yet.

Quote:
2) First gear is completely normal on some days but unpredictable on others. It's been warm the past couple of days--around 80--and the car's been extremely smooth in all gears on both days. When I've had the air conditioner on, I've had mixed results. Sometimes it drives fine. Sometimes, it will start moving, then suddenly become very sluggish, as though I'm driving through a patch of sand. Then it will be OK after that. On a couple of days, I've fought 1st gear all the way to work. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to these behaviors. I've started warming the car up a little bit in the morning. That seems to help a little bit with the reverse issue. However, I can't imagine that this could be the main cause of my issues, as the coldest it's ever been in the morning since I bought the car has been around 50.
Did you buy new or used? There's a technical service bulletin that's been around. I'm not sure if this is limited to build dates or not. I had this done a couple weeks ago and have noticed a huge difference. I haven't had that sluggishness since, but the car does want to launch a little quicker. I hope this helps you out some.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
pje65
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Are flashes and TSBs the same thing? Would they be listed under outstanding recalls? Ford says that there aren't any current recalls for this car. I bought it new. Etis says the build date was 5/13/12, but that was a Sunday.

As far as riding the clutch in reverse goes, I guess I've always done that a little bit. However, this car goes much faster than any other car I've had. Perhaps it's because it has a lot more HP than the other manuals I've driven, which, other than my '00 Civic (127 HP, I think), were mostly built in the '70s and '80s. They had a lot less power. Still, if I didn't ride the clutch in my Focus, I could literally run someone over in reverse without having my foot on the gas. Is that normal? In other cars I've driven, I'd initially find where the clutch engages by gradually releasing it with no gas. However, with those cars, releasing the clutch completely would invariably make the car stall or perhaps limp along very slowly. This car takes off when I do that.

Pete
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,718, Level 66
Points: 9,718, Level: 66 Points: 9,718, Level: 66 Points: 9,718, Level: 66
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Are flashes and TSBs the same thing? Would they be listed under outstanding recalls? Ford says that there aren't any current recalls for this car. I bought it new. Etis says the build date was 5/13/12, but that was a Sunday.

Pete
They are working 7 days a week on 3 shifts (2x 10 hr mon -friday with the C-crew rotating in on the weekends, and at least one or two evening shifts during the week.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
pje65
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Wow, they must be moving a lot of product. I thought it was a typo.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Points 928, Level 16
Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
They are working 7 days a week on 3 shifts (2x 10 hr mon -friday with the C-crew rotating in on the weekends, and at least one or two evening shifts during the week.

exactly... nope no typeo to the OP.. i work at the plant and A crew works M_TH 6-4:30... b crew works Tu-Fr 6pm-4:30am...c crew works Fri & sat 6am-4:30pm sun and mon 6pm-4:30am... so your build date can be any day of the week except holidays. I dont remember the exact date, but we fired up the 3 crews right around that time.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
electech
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85620
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 electech Good Standing Member
We love our Focus. Thought I read somewhere where the Focus was the top selling car in the segment now.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,376, Level 29
Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I've never driven a car that allowed me to fully release the clutch in reverse without going way too fast ..and I've owned 14 cars equipped with a manual transmission. It's totally normal and acceptable to slip the clutch when you're backing up. It would take you a very long time to wear out a clutch by slipping it with the engine at idle speed. I have no explanation for the sensation you're getting on first gear launches other than the traction control may be kicking in. Turn off traction control, go for a drive and see if it happens again.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,035, Level 40
Points: 4,035, Level: 40 Points: 4,035, Level: 40 Points: 4,035, Level: 40
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
1) I read somewhere on here that you can go backwards in reverse without any gas, and that this has something to do with the drive by wire.
The "engine computer" (PCM) will open the throttle to some degree when you apply a load to the engine and you have your foot off of the accel pedal (i.e. it tries to maintain a "target" RPM).

In most cases, I wouldn't slip the clutch unless I was trying to back up on an incline. Rather, I would use the clutch pedal to get the car rolling backwards and then clutch in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.