2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 120 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #1191
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Yes I am well aware most people here are talking about a clunk, but a few people have been posting about a rattle. If you have this rattle it does NOT sound like it is coming from the engine bay at all. It sounds like the suspension and this is why I thought it was related to this issue for so long.
And it is more than likely the strut bearings. I had mine replaced and it was quiet for about 1,500 K's.
Last week I jacked up the front of the car and pulled down the strut dust cover and the bump stop on both struts. I sprayed the area where the bearings reside with a liberal amount of white lithium grease and have been rattle free since.
This issue has been driving me nuts to the point where I almost traded the car in last week. Alas this car has very poor resale value so I decided to keep it and deal with.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #1192
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,166, Level 34
Points: 3,166, Level: 34 Points: 3,166, Level: 34 Points: 3,166, Level: 34
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey gang,

Heads up! I'm the new Ford Service representative around these parts. Please remember that I can lend a hand by escalating to the Customer Service Managers for your area. For those who haven't already, please send me a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage estimate, and preferred servicing dealer.

Thanks!

-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #1193
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
This issue has been driving me nuts to the point where I almost traded the car in last week. Alas this car has very poor resale value so I decided to keep it and deal with.
Yep, I've been sorely tempted to go buy something else, but my resale has dropped like a rock.

12.5k trade value. Incredible.

On a related note, I have noticed that when I wash the car, and I spray water into the wheelwells, the clunk quiets down temporarily, which leads me to believe some lubrication is needed to keep things quiet. I'll be using a liberal amount of grease on the bump stops, between the bearing and strut mount, and the strut bearings themselves.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #1194
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Yep, I've been sorely tempted to go buy something else, but my resale has dropped like a rock.

12.5k... really? My SEL Hatch (with MFT, no leather, no sunroof, etc..) 'shows' $15k on kbb ... but who knows if that's right. So much for equity in a car... and I even put 25% down.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #1195
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey gang,

Heads up! I'm the new Ford Service representative around these parts. Please remember that I can lend a hand by escalating to the Customer Service Managers for your area. For those who haven't already, please send me a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage estimate, and preferred servicing dealer.

Thanks!

-Crystal
Crystal, I have a question for you ... what do you do if the noise/issue comes back? So far, mine hasn't (worked on driver side front...but passenger side front is now starting), thankfully.

But I haven't heard/seen a definite course of action from anyone since some dealers have refused to work on it again after the first 'fix' ...

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #1196
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post

On a related note, I have noticed that when I wash the car, and I spray water into the wheelwells, the clunk quiets down temporarily, which leads me to believe some lubrication is needed to keep things quiet. I'll be using a liberal amount of grease on the bump stops, between the bearing and strut mount, and the strut bearings themselves.
Interesting comment about washing the car. I made the same observation.
When you report back with your results, I will be curious to know how much grease you find on the factory bearings.
Thanks,
hf

Sent from my iPad
Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #1197
FGLLMX
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98526
What I Drive: 2013 Audi A1 Ego 1.4TSFI S-Tronic

FF Reputation: 1 FGLLMX Good Standing Member
It seems as per www.fordparts.com that 2013MY Focus has a different Part# for the front struts, could it be an improved version which solves this issue? are there any owners of 2013 cars with the front end clunk?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #1198
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

Points 2,476, Level 30
Points: 2,476, Level: 30 Points: 2,476, Level: 30 Points: 2,476, Level: 30
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGLLMX View Post
It seems as per www.fordparts.com that 2013MY Focus has a different Part# for the front struts, could it be an improved version which solves this issue? are there any owners of 2013 cars with the front end clunk?
I have checked 2013 MYfocus and also fordparts.com both show the original parts... not the TSB parts.... hmmmm.....
Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #1199
rdyapo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96487
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SEL & 02 Ranger XLT

FF Reputation: 1 rdyapo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNBradow View Post
Thanks for the info. I did take my car in and they did hear the clunk and did tell me they have never had a focus with this issue. It is frustrating that 1) its a new car (2200 miles) 2) Ford seems none to worried their cars are broken 3) I don't have enough money to pay off the loan and trade it in for a GM, Honda, or Toyota...HA!
Thanks for posting these comments. My car only seems to clunk when I do the first stop and turn, it will make about 3 or 4 clunks as I turn right or left then it doesn't make the sound until I stop and turn the car off. Then I'll start the car again and when I make that stop and turn, it makes the clunk sound again, but doesn't do it again, until I stop and shut off the car. I just have to wait until it gets worse before I take it to the dealership.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #1200
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
And it is more than likely the strut bearings. I had mine replaced and it was quiet for about 1,500 K's.
Last week I jacked up the front of the car and pulled down the strut dust cover and the bump stop on both struts. I sprayed the area where the bearings reside with a liberal amount of white lithium grease and have been rattle free since.
I don't know if it's possible...but i'm unclear where you are spraying the lithium. Picture possibly?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.