Infra-Red Focus RS replica/conversion build! - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #171
Dads03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58979
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Dads03SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was thinking about clay bar on mine ....mainly the top but it may be to short for a miracle. My rear bumper is completely pink..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #172
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads03SVT View Post
I was thinking about clay bar on mine ....mainly the top but it may be to short for a miracle. My rear bumper is completely pink..
you'd be surprised what kind of magic a professional detailer can do as far as paint correction. the varying colors are usually a result of different stages of clear coat degradation, not the actual color beneath.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #173
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
More pictures please, this is progressing fast.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #174
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
More pictures please, this is progressing fast.
LOL, I think I pulled off my conversion faster than quite a few people that dropped theirs off at a bodyshop that operates 8+hrs a day 5+days a week.

I'm not going to get time to touch it tonight because a very good friend is moving away to Los Angelos so he's having a going-away shindig tonight.

Tomorrow is going to be wetsand & buff, then re-assemble. expect mass amounts of pictures tomorrow evening :)
Old 09-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #175
bluebullet
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93387
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue zx5

FF Reputation: 7 bluebullet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Can't wait!!!!!

Sent from jeremy's iPhone using FF Mobile
Hatch Nation #81
Mid-west Crew
2003 zx5 twilight blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvieF View Post
Bahahaha...bromance lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroinsa View Post
when going Euro -always go full Euro
Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #176
Dads03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58979
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Dads03SVT Good Standing Member
Only part i did myself was painting my Mach Lip....Used Bully Dog adhesion promoter then Duplicolor Red probably 8 coats with 3 coats of clear....then a few months later i sanded and reprayed it & cleared gain....turned out pretty decent.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #177
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

This post will contain NO good news.

Today was a really bad day. I cannot put into words the level of anxiety, disappointment, and frustration I'm currently feeling.

The short version of the story, is I cannot get the shell to take paint.

The long version:

I got up early today all happy-go-lucky thinking I was going to do a quick wetsand and buff job on the shell, and then glue in the rear quarter glass and generally re-assemble the car. That is NOT the chain of events that occurred.

What DID happen, is the clear was not nearly thick enough.....which I now know/contribute to not having a gauge/pressure adjuster AT THE GUN when I painted the shell (I had bought one, but it turned out to leak more air than it let through and since it was 1am that night when I started painting I chose to go on without it. First mistake). You can probably guess what happened....punched right through into the color within a few passes with the 1000grit paper. So at this point, I was unhappy with the paintjob anyways and decided that I would attempt to bang out a complete re-paint today. Nick and Jesse were present today to help out.....

We re-scuffed the entire car in 400grit to accept new paint and re-taped/bagged the car back up. wet the garage floor and cleaned the shell with prep-all (second mistake, apparently).

When I went to spray a light coat of base coat back on, it lifted/rippled in a handful of very random spots. Choice words were shouted through my respirator. At this point, I phoned-a-friend and called a good friend from ohio that paints for a living. His recommendation was to let that coat of base dry, and then lightly sand the spots that wrinkled and spray a REALLY light mist coat of base again, and continue with the light coats until certain it's not going to do it again. He said that you cant let anything contaminate base coat during the paint process, and that when we scuffed and then used prep-all, the prep-all is most likely what caused the lifting (so was recommended that I not use it after this 600 grit touch-up).

So I did exactly that, and after sanding with 600 grit I blew the dust off with a blow-gun and tried to mist on some base. did this twice, and by the second time there was enough paint on there to make it apparent that these wrinkles were not leaving me alone. They came back, and came back WORSE.

I cleaned my DeVilbiss and packed it up. I'm done with this. I'm going to call back my friend from ohio tomorrow for further advice. I'm really feeling let down here. All I really wanted was for the shell to be painted, because then I could put the glass in and have it together....I really wish this paint issue happened on a bumper or the hatch door or something that was removable to deal with later. Instead the whole car sits now until I figure out how to deal with this mess.

I tried to capture what it did, but it was hard. Only way to describe is it looks like krylon wrinkle or hammered texture paint in areas.

only good thing I can try to report is that I did an awful lot of work on the passenger fender (but still needs a little more) and assembled the front bumper

I don't expect to have anything else to put in here for at least a few days.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #178
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
I am not a painter by trade, but I used to paint years ago. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in, and maybe something will help you. Oh, and for the record, what your experiencing is why I got out... you cant always predict the outcome.

I am very, very surprised to hear you say the paint lifted or wrinkled. Usually that only happens when either using 2 different types of paint - lacquer over enamel. Or to much solvent (lacquer thinner). I dont understand why using the prep all would do that to you. I looked up prep all and found it for about $18. Now, I am not believing that is the problem, but it seems kind of cheap to me. I was just at the auto paint store 2 weeks ago, and wax/grease remover was $35. Maybe it is an inferior product?

My fix would be to let the car dry a few days. Wetsand with 400 and use a sealer. A sealer should stop any interaction between the paints causing the lifting. Also, dont hesitate to call the manufacturers help-line. Sometimes they can be a world of help.

Anyway, I am sorry to see this happen to you, but I have been following your work and am pretty impressed. Dont get to discouraged. You will get it figured out and we will all be happy watching. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #179
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
In an attempt to put this in a positive light, at least you know how good it'll look when it's painted again. It is mighty pretty in red.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #180
bluebullet
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93387
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue zx5

FF Reputation: 7 bluebullet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Dude that sucks
I've had the same problem on some projects before and I did what the other member said and it turned out fine

Sent from jeremy's iPhone using FF Mobile
Hatch Nation #81
Mid-west Crew
2003 zx5 twilight blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvieF View Post
Bahahaha...bromance lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroinsa View Post
when going Euro -always go full Euro

Bookmarks & Social Networks