Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus vs Cooper CS4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Chaput87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91072
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Chaput87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus vs Cooper CS4

So, like the title said I am trying to decide between a Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus vs Cooper CS4.

The Bridgestone had LRR which is nice since I am a MPG oriented guy and put on a lot of miles. It's a directional tire though and if it starts to wear funny I can't rotate it to the other side.

The Cooper gets good reviews as well and is a non-directional. My mechanic offered them to me as an alternative. Not listed for LRR though.

Price-wise they are pretty much the same for a 195/60 R15.

In order of importance:
1) Quietness/Comfort
2) Treadlife / Warranty
3) Snow Traction
4) Handling

I am leaning towards the Bridgestone though because of the LRR.

Anyone have any experience with these tires that would care to share?

Ask me about my Focus Camper.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
FYI, most directional tires can be rotated to the other side of the car if you remove and flip the tire on the wheel. If you keep the tires properly balanced and have regular alignments rotating front to back on the same side shouldn't present any unusual wear issues. Another repected tire that meet most of your criteria is the Yokohama Avid Envigor.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Chaput87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91072
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Chaput87 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
FYI, most directional tires can be rotated to the other side of the car if you remove and flip the tire on the wheel. If you keep the tires properly balanced and have regular alignments rotating front to back on the same side shouldn't present any unusual wear issues. Another repected tire that meet most of your criteria is the Yokohama Avid Envigor.
Thanks for the heads up on that.

The Envigors fall pretty short in show traction from the reviews and ratings and Lack the LRR (Low Rolling Resistance). We get over 200 inches of snow per year on average so I am looking for something with decent snow performance even though it's not on the top of my list.

Ask me about my Focus Camper.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
You'll find the low rolling resistance tires don't work in the snow and ice as well as a standard all season tire. The pliability of the tread and a slightly softer sidewall means a great deal in ice and snow performance. As always there's trade-offs with any tire. You're not going to find a tire that scores well in all of your criteria. Currently the best overall all season tire (does well in just about everything including decent tread wear, handling and currently has the best ice and snow traction (for an all season tire) is the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
stihlboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79450
What I Drive: 04 white ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 stihlboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
bridgestones ftw!

they are not directional your mechanic is wrong. and they are great in snow and rain. i have them
D23 #33
Team Duratec #42
Sedan Revolution #142
I hold the record for blown transmissions 8 blown in 22k miles!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
sparky123
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 80882
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Focus SE 5-Sp.

FF Reputation: 1 sparky123 Good Standing Member
I recently put the Cooper CS4's on the wife's 05' ZX5. (They replaced general Altimax's HP's 195/60/15.) I'm very impressed by the Cooper's. A very high quality tire. They ride very smooth and are QUIET. Dry handling is excellent though I'd give a slight edge to the HP's. I have no doubt they are a far superior wet weather/winter tire. Also, two plies polyester sidewall. For the price I paid w/the $100/$50 MIR from Discount Tire Direct and Cooper, an outright steal. Made in the USA. I read there's a slight drop in MPG's w/the Cooper's, but looking at the thread pattern of the Bridgestone's I'd bet a shiny nickel, not much difference. This is second set of Cooper's and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
stihlboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79450
What I Drive: 04 white ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 stihlboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
buy the turanzas before 9/30 and get a $70 amex card or a wii. your choice
D23 #33
Team Duratec #42
Sedan Revolution #142
I hold the record for blown transmissions 8 blown in 22k miles!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
rabbitdog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89200
What I Drive: 2002 blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 rabbitdog Good Standing Member
I have the Coopers on my daughter's 2002 Focus and can't keep air in them. After filling them, they (all four) are down 5 to 10 psi in a week or two. They seem to be wearing faster than they should also. I won't put Coopers on again because of this. To be fair, I have Coopers on my Sable and they have been very good; no air pressure problems at all and seem to be wearing well.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
dooor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51395
What I Drive: 2007 se stick

Points 902, Level 16
Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 dooor Good Standing Member
On my second set of Coopers. No snow here & little rain. Great dry traction and quiet. Had a warranty replacement because of a crooked tread-no problem with that. Very smooth ride. They lose about 1-2 lb. of air /month like most tires do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.