Low MPG on new 2012 Titanium Hatch - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #41
tiburonjt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99040
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 tiburonjt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have about 8,500 miles on my car. I am getting an average of 32.6 miles per gallon with a mix of city and freeway driving. In the city was getting about 27 mpg (when I was paying attention shortly after I got the car). On the freeway I get about 39 mpg (75 mph) and on the highway (60 mph) I get better mileage than the freeway mileage, of course. My car is rated at only 36 highway with the manual transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #42
Tra1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99323
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, Focus Titianum

FF Reputation: 1 Tra1969 Good Standing Member
Well I slowed down my driving and drove to the electronic mpg estimator on the dash. I manage to get it to read 32.4 mpg for most of the tank. After filling up and doing the math. I actually got 30.43 mpg by the calculator. So If everyone is judging their milage off the electronic mpg gage I guess i'm right in the ballpark. Still have a co-worker testing her SE's mpg. She even wrote the odometer reading to insre the trip meter and odometer track the same on the mileage. Will post her mpg when I get the results. I have around 5500 miles but not sure the milage will get any better then what it is now.
Moonroof, Sony MFT, siriusxm
Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #43
Tra1969
Focus Enthusiast

Here is a good one. Keeping up with traffic I ran 75 to 83 steady for 296 miles and only got 29.6 mpg. Figure that one out. Car has 6,600 miles if that matters. Called dealer, not to happy even at the higher speeds, would have expected 37 plus on the mpg. I have a good automotive background, and this one baffles me.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #44
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra1969 View Post
Here is a good one. Keeping up with traffic I ran 75 to 83 steady for 296 miles and only got 29.6 mpg. Figure that one out. Car has 6,600 miles if that matters. Called dealer, not to happy even at the higher speeds, would have expected 37 plus on the mpg. I have a good automotive background, and this one baffles me.
Any idea what the ethanol level of the fuel you are running may be? Ethanol has 40% of the energy level of gasoline so if you happen to be taking on fuel with more than the 10% allowed at the pump it may be a contributor.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #45
Tra1969
Focus Enthusiast

Filled up before the trip and after at the same gas station. It was a speedway at was 87 octane. Not sure on the Ethanol level. Used this station a lot in the past. Had a 2011 Fiesta last year, even in town it got 30 to 32 worst driving conditions and 40 to 44 on highway. Drove that one like a go-cart. I treat this one a lot different trying to get The fuel mileage out of it. I have yet to see over 32 mpg. I even drove for a entire tank in country road condition the smoothest I could with as few stops as possibly and driving under the speed limit, and letting off early on the gas at stops and easy getting back it to it, and that was the one time I got 31.3 mpg. At 55mph in 6th gear the tach reads 2000 rpm, I assume this is ok. shifted into sport drive at speed to insure it was making it into 6th gear, and it was. Not sure what to think now. This road trip has really got me thinking I made a bad decision on trading in the fiesta for this focus even though the window sticker says they both should get around the same gas millage. I expected a little drop due to engine size and car weight, but his is a lot more then I thought.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #46
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Filled up before the trip and after at the same gas station. It was a speedway at was 87 octane. Not sure on the Ethanol level. Used this station a lot in the past. Had a 2011 Fiesta last year, even in town it got 30 to 32 worst driving conditions and 40 to 44 on highway. Drove that one like a go-cart. I treat this one a lot different trying to get The fuel mileage out of it. I have yet to see over 32 mpg. I even drove for a entire tank in country road condition the smoothest I could with as few stops as possibly and driving under the speed limit, and letting off early on the gas at stops and easy getting back it to it, and that was the one time I got 31.3 mpg. At 55mph in 6th gear the tach reads 2000 rpm, I assume this is ok. shifted into sport drive at speed to insure it was making it into 6th gear, and it was. Not sure what to think now. This road trip has really got me thinking I made a bad decision on trading in the fiesta for this focus even though the window sticker says they both should get around the same gas millage. I expected a little drop due to engine size and car weight, but his is a lot more then I thought.
No, it should be better. I am not driving my new SE very 'easy' and through the city to work in stop and go 26.5 miles each way I just filled up this morning with my second tank of fuel and I am getting 32.5 MPG. My trip average MPG was showing 33.0 when I filled up so it was close. I shouldn't be getting better mileage in the city than you do on country roads.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #47
Tra1969
Focus Enthusiast

I agree. I sent Ford and my dealership a e-mail. I also have some time tomorrow to stop into the dealership and see what they think, if I don't get a response by then. will be interesting to see what they say. Thanks, Wildsailor.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #48
timmytVA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102488
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray 5Dr Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 timmytVA Good Standing Member
Subscribing to this thread.

I have a month old Ti with handling package. The MPG is my only disappointment so far. I'm at a little over 1700 miles. Here's my MPG history:
  • tank 1 - 23.65 (mostly city)
  • tank 2 - 31.26 (mostly highway)
  • tank 3 - 26.22 (75% city, 25% highway, albeit the highway was Washington DC rush hour traffic)
  • tank 4 - 24.91 (80% city, 20% highway)
  • tank 5 - 22.86 (almost all city)
  • current tank dash read out - 21.6 (all city)

For me, city = busy suburban stop and go, to/from work, sports practices, grocery/Target etc. My work commute is 4 to 4.5 miles and 8 to 10 stop lights.

Tim
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #49
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
This road trip has really got me thinking I made a bad decision on trading in the fiesta for this focus even though the window sticker says they both should get around the same gas millage. I expected a little drop due to engine size and car weight, but his is a lot more then I thought.
Yeah something seems to be wrong with yours. A pure country road trip with minimal stops should yield over 40 mpg. I average 32 mpg with a suburban commute with some bumper to bumper and some city on the end.

I'd recommend getting a ScanGauge and seeing how you compare to this chart I made a few months back. This pretty closely matches a graph that Popular Mechanics published for the Focus and its competition. If you're not getting anywhere near these numbers in controlled conditions, you have more ammunition to use against Ford. If you just walk in a complain about mileage in general, they're going to dismiss you thinking that you must be a lead foot and not even realize it.

I've been looking to sell my ScanGauge if you're interested.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #50
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Things definitely do improve over time.

Here's my latest:

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6

Bookmarks & Social Networks