DCT Complaints Thread - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #91
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
#2 Lack of power comming out of a left or right turn.IE: You get to a green light and you take the 90 degree turn in motion and comming out of the turn, you dont get any power back when you press on hte gaz pedal. Symptoms: You get the same symptoms as #1.
This is one of the few issues that others describe regarding the DCT that I've experienced myself, although I don't think I've experienced it with the same severity as others describe. The car is, however, a bit sluggish coming out of a turn that doesn't involve a complete stop.

Looking at the service manual, in the description and operation for the DCT, it says that one of the inputs the TCM receives to determine shift points is:

Steering angle from the steering wheel rotation sensor via the HS-CAN databus in order to avoid upshifts and downshifts during cornering

It doesn't go into detail about how this input is used, but if I'm interpreting it correctly the implication is that if I enter a 90 degree right turn decelerating (but not stopping) and the transmission has downshifted to, lets say, third gear, by the time I turn it will still be in third gear when I come out of the turn. Regardless of my actual velocity, apparently, until the steering sensor returns to some point that is not considered by the TCM to be 'in a turn'.

Since reading this a few weeks ago, I've been delaying acceleration until I come out of the turn and have not really noticed the sluggishness and abrupt downshifts that I was having before. Of course, that means making different 'go/no go' decisions when turning to avoid getting run over by oncoming traffic.

In summary, I wonder how much of this particular issue is due to design rather than an actual defect with the transmission.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #92
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,260, Level 28
Points: 2,260, Level: 28 Points: 2,260, Level: 28 Points: 2,260, Level: 28
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit293 View Post
PS: Oh yea, btw, BetaDnB. I got that vibe too. I guess you could have made it more explicit by throwing in a *sigh* or two or maybe an *eye roll*. But anyway, discussion here has been good so far.
I'm sorry. As I already said, that wasn't the intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
Looking at the service manual, in the description and operation for the DCT, it says that one of the inputs the TCM receives to determine shift points is:

Steering angle from the steering wheel rotation sensor via the HS-CAN databus in order to avoid upshifts and downshifts during cornering

It doesn't go into detail about how this input is used, but if I'm interpreting it correctly the implication is that if I enter a 90 degree right turn decelerating (but not stopping) and the transmission has downshifted to, lets say, third gear, by the time I turn it will still be in third gear when I come out of the turn. Regardless of my actual velocity, apparently, until the steering sensor returns to some point that is not considered by the TCM to be 'in a turn'.

Since reading this a few weeks ago, I've been delaying acceleration until I come out of the turn and have not really noticed the sluggishness and abrupt downshifts that I was having before. Of course, that means making different 'go/no go' decisions when turning to avoid getting run over by oncoming traffic.

In summary, I wonder how much of this particular issue is due to design rather than an actual defect with the transmission.
It's like they're trying to avoid having the TVC kick in. That's what it sounds like to me at least and that's only an ignorant opinion. Can you get it to kick or does it just not allow the power to get to that point?
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #93
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
It's like they're trying to avoid having the TVC kick in. That's what it sounds like to me at least and that's only an ignorant opinion. Can you get it to kick or does it just not allow the power to get to that point?
The effect is much the same as if I'd taken the turn with a manual transmission and not downshifted, so that coming out of the turn I'd still be in - in my earlier example, third gear - when my actual velocity was more appropriate for second gear. If I lay into the accelerator before the wheel is close to straight, the RPMs rise without an increase in speed and then, as the steering wheel comes back toward centered, the transmission downshifts. If you still have the RPMs up, it can really give a jerk as the lower gear engages.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #94
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,882, Level 66
Points: 9,882, Level: 66 Points: 9,882, Level: 66 Points: 9,882, Level: 66
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I'm not sure if it's kicked in or not, but I have been able to get a squeek of wheel spin while accelerating around a 90 degree bend after coasting down then rolling back into the throttle even with the traction control switched to the default on setting.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #95
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Way to go Kaaru! You have BetaDnB approval! I know you will sleep easier tonight.
Thanks mate. I am more looking for solutions and I am trying really hard to find the source of those tranny issues. Saddly my CSM has not returned my last 2 emails and my dealers says that my tranny is just fine and does not want to see my car...He (the dealer) was able to established that diagnostic over the Internet w/o even seeing the car. Great isn'st ?

I'll sleep better when this car will behave like the 29000$ car it's supposed to be.

But thanks for your support :)

Be safe.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #96
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,882, Level 66
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
I see what you guys post 12B37 are saying about not being able to shift into 6th before 41 mph, but that only occurred in a 6F35 equipped Fusion with the 3.0L V6 I currently have as a loaner/ rental car while they check on my heated seats. I miss my Focus already. The Fusion sounds mean when thrashed, but its just not the same to me. I don't like this one very much, and the wheel shake and shudder at higher speeds, omfg with 27300 miles on the clock give or take.

You cannot get it to shift into 6th before 41 mph or more and as soon as it drops down 1-2 mph its back into 5th. Just like some people were reporting from the 12B37 programming, although others reported the initial shift points at 35mph pre and post update.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #97
manueljones
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98333
What I Drive: 2012 red candy Focus SE Hatchback

Points 292, Level 5
Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 manueljones Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I see what you guys post 12B37 are saying about not being able to shift into 6th before 41 mph, but that only occurred in a 6F35 equipped Fusion with the 3.0L V6 I currently have as a loaner/ rental car while they check on my heated seats. I miss my Focus already. The Fusion sounds mean when thrashed, but its just not the same to me. I don't like this one very much, and the wheel shake and shudder at higher speeds, omfg with 27300 miles on the clock give or take.

You cannot get it to shift into 6th before 41 mph or more and as soon as it drops down 1-2 mph its back into 5th. Just like some people were reporting from the 12B37 programming, although others reported the initial shift points at 35mph pre and post update.
Had original 12B37 flash done in late May due to letter from Ford FSA. Car started behaving badly around 200 miles after reflash. 6th gear shift point was around 36 mph which I considered too low and was lugging engine. Took car back to dealer in mid July and car was reflashed with later update to 12B37. This time 6th gear shift point is 41mph with light thottle. Closer to 45 with moderate acceleration. I actually believe all shift points were raised from 2-5 mph vs. original flash which suits me just fine as I told the service manager that the car was is too higher gear for ground speed and car was chugging. The last reflash makes the car a lot more pleasant to drive in congested traffic.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #98
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,882, Level 66
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
Quote:
Originally Posted by manueljones View Post
Had original 12B37 flash done in late May due to letter from Ford FSA. Car started behaving badly around 200 miles after reflash. 6th gear shift point was around 36 mph which I considered too low and was lugging engine. Took car back to dealer in mid July and car was reflashed with later update to 12B37. This time 6th gear shift point is 41mph with light thottle. Closer to 45 with moderate acceleration. I actually believe all shift points were raised from 2-5 mph vs. original flash which suits me just fine as I told the service manager that the car was is too higher gear for ground speed and car was chugging. The last reflash makes the car a lot more pleasant to drive in congested traffic.
That sounds detrimental to the fuel economy in town when you were only doing 35-40 mph however.

The car was in the correct gear if no additional acceleration was called for at that time as you would get better mileage in town in 6th than in 5th, but ok.

Either way if you are happy with where it sits being a touch less efficient but more responsive then ok.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #99
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
FWIW I was able to get into 6th at around 55-60/h and I NEVER had any TSB related work done

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #100
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95846
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
I was waiting until this got a sticky to go for any complaining in here. We all know I have my story in enough threads already.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like DCT problem threads get a sticky at all. Ever.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.