Back Problems, Help? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
TheAllMightyFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99790
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE HATCH

FF Reputation: 1 TheAllMightyFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Back Problems, Help?

Ive come across a problem that ive been trying to solve for awhile with a my Fo' where in long distance trips my lower back starts to ache more than any other car ive owned and can get unbearable. I love my car too much to even consider trading it for comfort, and i know it probably has something to do with being a life long athlete and being 6'5 with long legs. I've solved it with sitting on a pillow, but you don't eat where you Sh%t, so i feal like that falls along the same category. Has anyone faced this problem and solved it? Or have recommendations that may help? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllMightyFocus View Post
Ive come across a problem that ive been trying to solve for awhile with a my Fo' where in long distance trips my lower back starts to ache more than any other car ive owned and can get unbearable. I love my car too much to even consider trading it for comfort, and i know it probably has something to do with being a life long athlete and being 6'5 with long legs. I've solved it with sitting on a pillow, but you don't eat where you Sh%t, so i feal like that falls along the same category. Has anyone faced this problem and solved it? Or have recommendations that may help? Thanks.
Not really sure as I've yet to really take a very long journey in the car yet, but usually the car doesn't cause me to have a sore back, but the desk chairs at work do as they are garbage. I would drive with the seat heater on and the a/c on, but the seat heaters in my car are fairly weak at the moment, so I'm having them looked at.

I'm not quite that tall though so I don't have quite the same height related issues however.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does the lumbar support help at all?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns098356GX View Post
Does the lumbar support help at all?
Yeah I was going to say... Do the SE's have the lumbar support handle in them? That has helped me out tremendously, has made the seat more comfy.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
TheAllMightyFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99790
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE HATCH

FF Reputation: 1 TheAllMightyFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Not really sure as I've yet to really take a very long journey in the car yet, but usually the car doesn't cause me to have a sore back, but the desk chairs at work do as they are garbage. I would drive with the seat heater on and the a/c on, but the seat heaters in my car are fairly weak at the moment, so I'm having them looked at.

I'm not quite that tall though so I don't have quite the same height related issues however.
I drove my car up to Massachusets from Virginia onto Cape Cod to visit some family and the pillow was my saving grace for a 10 hour drive, but no i dont think the SE's do have lumbar support but ile check again, my next step is trying the seat beads, i've heard of alot of success there with those.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
a351must2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87762
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti, 2011 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 a351must2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllMightyFocus View Post
:P no recommendations, but I have the same issue with my Focus, along with my elbow going numb after about 5 hours ... I try to keep to just driving the focus for anything under 3 hours and use the Mustang for anything that requires longer driving. Only 4mpg difference between the two on road trips too.
1978 Mustang II, 2.3L Turbo, 5spd
Old 09-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
I haven't had an isssue with this car, but when I have back pain from siting sometimes I use a rolled up towl in the lumbar region. You will have to adjust the size to fit your particular needs of course, but it may help.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
afinley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100856
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 afinley Good Standing Member
Don't sit on your wallet, and lean your seat a little further back, like 1 click. The only thing sitting on a pillow is doing for your lower back is letting you rock your hips. If you realize your hips are tilted more forward or back on the pillow, you can use the seat height adjuster to better fit your body. Lean your seat a little further back if you sit very upright. The only support your seat can provide to your lower back will be while it is resting against it.

It is probably your wallet, though. Sitting on a pillow will help offset some of the wedge that drives into your hips.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
My SE does not have lumbar support. I am 6'1" and have not had this issue yet. Although I have not driven more than an hour. Usually I require a bit more lumbar support than most, so if I go on a long trip, I will use a towel as mentioned above.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
chaimav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91850
What I Drive: Sterling Gray 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 chaimav Good Standing Member
When I first got my FoFo I tried every seat seat position imaginable, but my back still hurt. I then tried different pillow options and settled a tube shaped pillow stuffed in the base where the back meets the seat. Now my skinny rear [bootyshak doesn't slide into that large groove and my back stays straight. I tried illustrating below.

Before:
|
|
/____

With pillow:
|
|
/,____

After:
|
|
|____

Last edited by chaimav; 09-14-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks