why no 6th gear? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #61
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Your dealership was incompotent if they decided that faulty wheel bearing noises were coming from the gearbox.

The majority of real issues with the gearbox seem to be due to either a malfunction of the mechatronic unit that controls the shifting, or there may be an oil leak from a gearbox seal that is coating the clutches in oil.

Problems such as the car holding the higher gear are one I generally have not experienced, but that is inherent with all automatic transmissions trying to get better fuel economy. If anything mine is quite responsive. I may have the opposite problem which isn't really a problem at all, in that after coasting down the car always shifts down to the next lower gear at 1100 rpm or so and is therefore quite eager to hold the current gear and rev with any prod on the throttle (not wot, and not necessarily under light throttle).

Other issues such as not being prepared for a slight roll back on a hill because the driver either failed to put the brake down hard enough to engage the hill start assist, or they waited more than two or three seconds to apply the gas is generally an operator fault rather than one of the car.

I don't understand how people manage to almost stall the car in the middle of an intersection, but perhaps their cars were broken. However thats a small percentage of all the vehicles produced so far. Its also only in North America that there is this kind of complaints about the gearbox. Our Austrailan Friends with the 2.0 L GDI engine and the same transmission coming from mexico do not have these issues, nor do models in other markets, its only here in the U.S./CAN./MEX. where people are used to the torque converter and "wafting" away without a care in the world until it just abruptly fails from lack of maintanance.
Again you,re making judgement on a few lines from a 5 month experience.Dealerships cannot do any warranty work unless authaurised by Ford.Before replacing the transmission ,they replaced a driveshaft and bearings ,but Ford had a bad batch of bearing and it took a few months to release the TSB about it and make the new ones available.

Many customers don't even know they are driving an automated manual transmission.Yes there are plenty of commercials ,but most don't know much about mechanic and the differences between a conventional and DCT tranny.When I bought the car ,at NO moment ,the salesman said a word about hill assist or other things to know about the car.You are basically told you got an automatic and that's it.And from what I read here,most were told the same.The problems I experiences were real and mostly after I felt the difference between a good and a bad transmission.If you would take the time to read the dozens of thread about DCT issues you'll see that we are more than a few with the same problems.If you think this is all in our minds ,you should apply for a job at Ford.I,m sure they will love you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #62
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
Again you,re making judgement on a few lines from a 5 month experience.Dealerships cannot do any warranty work unless authaurised by Ford.Before replacing the transmission ,they replaced a driveshaft and bearings ,but Ford had a bad batch of bearing and it took a few months to release the TSB about it and make the new ones available.

Many customers don't even know they are driving an automated manual transmission.Yes there are plenty of commercials ,but most don't know much about mechanic and the differences between a conventional and DCT tranny.When I bought the car ,at NO moment ,the salesman said a word about hill assist or other things to know about the car.You are basically told you got an automatic and that's it.And from what I read here,most were told the same.The problems I experiences were real and mostly after I felt the difference between a good and a bad transmission.If you would take the time to read the dozens of thread about DCT issues you'll see that we are more than a few with the same problems.If you think this is all in our minds ,you should apply for a job at Ford.I,m sure they will love you.
So you are blaming a salesman for your inability to search the Internet and get more informed?

Interesting.

Oh, and since you're so sure of yourself, this DCT has been used in Fords and Volvos a lot longer than our Mark 3 Focus; if it really were that broken wed have never gotten it here.

You just seem very mad and hell bent on hating Ford after a bad experience. Just cause it was shit once doesn't mean it will be shit again...but hey using logic on the Internet never works.

Ignorance is your bliss, obviously you hate the company so why do you keep posting?

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #63
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
It would be interesting to see the failure rate of the DCT compared to past manual/slushbox transmissions. There some very vocal people on this forum and people with some very serious issues, but does that mean the transmission is a failure overall?

Ford has sold well over 200,000 Foci across NA and the DCT uptake is probably at least 80% of those. What percentage of those sold would be problem transmissions? Even looking at this forum the polls I've seen about the DCT have less than a 100 people praticipating and off the too of my head the last one about issues with the latest uorate had less than 30 people unhappy with it. Does that show major issues with the transmission? To be generous lets say there are 100 unique individuals posting on this forum complaining of major issues with the transmission does that show that there is a systemic problem across the board with all Focus with the DCT?

That's my only issue with some posters here. Since they are having issues they lump all DCT together when the reality is that their particular DCT is the issue.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #64
Mazingo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
So you are blaming a salesman for your inability to search the Internet and get more informed?

Interesting.

Oh, and since you're so sure of yourself, this DCT has been used in Fords and Volvos a lot longer than our Mark 3 Focus; if it really were that broken wed have never gotten it here.

You just seem very mad and hell bent on hating Ford after a bad experience. Just cause it was shit once doesn't mean it will be shit again...but hey using logic on the Internet never works.

Ignorance is your bliss, obviously you hate the company so why do you keep posting?
So ,all the people complainting on all the DCT problems related threads are all complaining for nothing.And I suppose the car critics who highly recommend the Manual transmission and CR are all complaining for nothing.When did I became the posterboy for transmission problems?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #65
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
It would be interesting to see the failure rate of the DCT compared to past manual/slushbox transmissions. There some very vocal people on this forum and people with some very serious issues, but does that mean the transmission is a failure overall?

Ford has sold well over 200,000 Foci across NA and the DCT uptake is probably at least 80% of those. What percentage of those sold would be problem transmissions? Even looking at this forum the polls I've seen about the DCT have less than a 100 people praticipating and off the too of my head the last one about issues with the latest uorate had less than 30 people unhappy with it. Does that show major issues with the transmission? To be generous lets say there are 100 unique individuals posting on this forum complaining of major issues with the transmission does that show that there is a systemic problem across the board with all Focus with the DCT?

That's my only issue with some posters here. Since they are having issues they lump all DCT together when the reality is that their particular DCT is the issue.
Like all things from a forum, the pissed off minority make It seem like it's an epidemic.

Nothing is perfect and while issues suck that doesn't mean the entire population has them.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #66
Mazingo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Like all things from a forum, the pissed off minority make It seem like it's an epidemic.

Nothing is perfect and while issues suck that doesn't mean the entire population has them.
You got to keep in mind,that the problems were aggravated by very bad service from the dealerships and the Ford CRC.It's not normal that many of us had to wait several months to get a car in an acceptable condition.If we're only a handfull of owners who had issues,Ford did an horrible job in all cases to make it the source of so many complaints and threads here.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #67
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post

See my post #35 on this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...t=nhtsa&page=2

There are far more complaints to the NHTSA about the Ford DCT than any other current model year compact. The NHTSA is an equal opportunity complaint receptacle so if the Ford DCT was no worse than any other transmission you shouldn't see that disparity.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #68
Mazingo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
See my post #35 on this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...t=nhtsa&page=2

There are far more complaints to the NHTSA about the Ford DCT than any other current model year compact. The NHTSA is an equal opportunity complaint receptacle so if the Ford DCT was no worse than any other transmission you shouldn't see that disparity.

"And Boom goes the dynamite!"
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #69
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
You got to keep in mind,that the problems were aggravated by very bad service from the dealerships and the Ford CRC.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Most of the "problems" seem to be primarily related to bad/inadequate service.

That being said, I have no reason to believe that the DCT is inherently a bad design.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #70
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Bad CSR service doesn't mean the product is bad.

If DCTs were actually this problematic, VW would've dropped them years ago and Ford would never have brought it over for us.

Bookmarks & Social Networks