common problems with the Duratec? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
WSkobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93397
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SE 4dr Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 WSkobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have had many issues with my 07 d-tec. First major issue was the auto trans went out 3 times due to overheating. But the trans has been swapped out to a manual and done properly. No rigging things to make it work. Second is at 56k my cylinder head decided to spit out the spark plug from #1 cylinder. Got that fixed. Third is now the butterfly flaps inside each runner are all up. If they break anytime soon they will get sucked through the head and down into the block then it will eventually blow the bottom end. Fourth is I have some weird ass sound coming from the head. I believe the valves are up and get stuck sometimes. I think this because when it happens my exhaust sounds like a damn sti. But for those butterfly flaps it is a known issue but Ford just won't recognize the problem. The Mazda 3 shares the same intake manifold and they had the same issue and they put a tsb and recall out for it. Ford just wants to make more money off us. They want me to replace the whole manifold assembly for $208 which is stupid because euro 1 supply has the replacement flaps for $111 shipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSkobra View Post
I have had many issues with my 07 d-tec. First major issue was the auto trans went out 3 times due to overheating. But the trans has been swapped out to a manual and done properly. No rigging things to make it work. Second is at 56k my cylinder head decided to spit out the spark plug from #1 cylinder. Got that fixed. Third is now the butterfly flaps inside each runner are all up. If they break anytime soon they will get sucked through the head and down into the block then it will eventually blow the bottom end. Fourth is I have some weird ass sound coming from the head. I believe the valves are up and get stuck sometimes. I think this because when it happens my exhaust sounds like a damn sti. But for those butterfly flaps it is a known issue but Ford just won't recognize the problem. The Mazda 3 shares the same intake manifold and they had the same issue and they put a tsb and recall out for it. Ford just wants to make more money off us. They want me to replace the whole manifold assembly for $208 which is stupid because euro 1 supply has the replacement flaps for $111 shipped.
I pull the manifold off & remove the flaps altogether, & fill the hole on the end w/ part of the shaft end cut down.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
I have a 2005 manual with 156K miles. I am pretty regular with oil changes (Motorcraft 5-20) but do run 80 on the highway and the SVT suspension is irresistible in fast corners.

One set of plugs at 110K, a CAI at 145K and it still runs like new. This is one heck of an engine!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #34
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The 2.0 duratec in my moms car is a fantastic engine. 212K some miles on it, and it runs exactly as it did new. No real engine problems at all, original cat sensors on it, the dealer installed cruise control servo took a shit and I repaired that which was kind of fun. The MTX-75 seems equally robust, the stock shifter is nothing to brag about, but it still has no notchiness or engagement problems, while the 4th gear in my 75K mile car is developing a notchy engagement while the trans is warming up. I'm avoiding 4th gear now until the trans warms up as the synchros aren't going to heal themselves.

I'm actually really impressed with the Duratec, it just keeps going and feels as strong as it did when brand new. The car is about to replaced with a brand new Honda Fit, so now I'm looking forward to seeing how that stacks up.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #35
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
I'm actually really impressed with the Duratec, it just keeps going and feels as strong as it did when brand new. The car is about to replaced with a brand new Honda Fit, so now I'm looking forward to seeing how that stacks up.[/QUOTE]

You mean hows it Fit up to. lol
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #36
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
The 2.0 duratec in my moms car is a fantastic engine. 212K some miles on it, and it runs exactly as it did new. No real engine problems at all, original cat sensors on it, the dealer installed cruise control servo took a shit and I repaired that which was kind of fun. The MTX-75 seems equally robust, the stock shifter is nothing to brag about, but it still has no notchiness or engagement problems, while the 4th gear in my 75K mile car is developing a notchy engagement while the trans is warming up. I'm avoiding 4th gear now until the trans warms up as the synchros aren't going to heal themselves.

I'm actually really impressed with the Duratec, it just keeps going and feels as strong as it did when brand new. The car is about to replaced with a brand new Honda Fit, so now I'm looking forward to seeing how that stacks up.

The Ford Duratec engines are really great engines! Having never owned a 4 cyl before, I'm really impressed.

It doesn't have the low end torque of my Jeep 4.0, but that's to be expected.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
Focusblackzx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95212
What I Drive: 2005 Black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focusblackzx5 Good Standing Member
Bought my 05 zx5 SES at 36 000 miles for 5300$ (hell of a deal^^), 8 months ago and its one of the best buy I ever made ahah^^

now at 42000 miles, no problem. I put a steeda SRI and did a resonator delete, and this engine sounds so great after that :)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
i got you beat 07 zx3 S 36k miles, $2700

She was loosing it to a Title loan, bought on Cragslist.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
Focusblackzx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95212
What I Drive: 2005 Black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focusblackzx5 Good Standing Member
damn 0_0 it cost you less than my 03 SE SPI lol^^ nice buy !
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
still has that new car smell hahahaha

Bookmarks & Social Networks