why no 6th gear? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
I'm guessing this is sarcasm. Hope so anyway.
Pretty sure they are a hardcore troll, especially given how they already got rid of the car yet continue to mercilessly trash it.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
You guys simply don't understand Ford.You don't know what you need but FORD DOES.A few months ago I went to a Hyundai dealership and asked for an Elantra with a 6 speed manual.And do you know what happened?The salesman looked at me and said:"No problem we got one right here,wanna try it?" I did,and 30 min later the papers were signed and the day after I was picking it up and never had a problem since.Yes ,I was happy ,but it's easy to see that Hyundai is not gonna make any money like that.And it's sad that they will probably close their doors soon.

They got to learn ,that they CANNOT give the customers what they want.If they make those transmissions available,they can't force their buyers into the automatic tranny that they should sell.Hyundai,Mazda,Dodge,... got it all wrong.Ford knows.If they say you don't need a 6speed manual it's because you don't need it,and if you buy a 5 speed ,you'll pay for it because you'll take more gasoline.Ford hasn't been in business for so long because they don't know what they're doing.If you buy something else,yes you'll get what you want ,but you will hurt these company who will suffer because they will give you what you want.

So remember this:If Ford says the powershift is what you need it's because they know so!And you say you don't like it ,it's because you don't understand and you are not a true Patriot.Keep this in mind before complaining again about a 6 speed manual transmission.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,213, Level 41
Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
This isn't about people caring about the number of gears in the trans. This is about fuel economy. People care about final fuel economy numbers; they really don't give two cents about how those numbers came to be, as long as the car moves down the road in a car-like fashion without any bucking, grinding, or other unwanted drama. Unfortunately for Ford, some of the DCTs exhibited some issues, sounding like blender on crack at times; this either deterred people from choosing the Focus at all, or they chose a stick instead. The one I drove was fine, of course, but I have seen the videos and heard the sound clips.
I find it hard to believe that anyone (with very few exceptions) chooses a manual or automatic based on MPGs (assuming that the numbers are reasonably close).
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,903, Level 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone (with very few exceptions) chooses a manual or automatic based on MPGs (assuming that the numbers are reasonably close).
Since I went to the trouble of running gear ratio calculations before deciding on manual vs automatic for my Focus with the goal of lower engine speeds at 70 mph, lower noise, and better fuel economy, every logical indicator pointed to the 6DCT250/DPS6 as being a better choice for fuel economy even if its a relatively unknown proposition by comparison to the MTX-75. The MMT6 might have swayed my mind back the other direction if available, but I admit I'm probably unique in that respect.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,213, Level 41
Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
...but I admit I'm probably unique in that respect.
I agree!

I think you are the exception to the rule.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
I'm guessing this is sarcasm. Hope so anyway.
Duh! You think?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
The MMT6 might have swayed my mind back the other direction if available, but I admit I'm probably unique in that respect.
Available in Frosted Glass, you mean?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #28
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,903, Level 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Available in Frosted Glass, you mean?
That would have been on my list of configurations, and the first choice.

Due to the way that Ford configured it I would likely have ended up with a silver or grey hatch if I wanted a manual with alloy wheels and disk brakes in the SE trim level with the sport package.

They made a manual SEL in Frosted glass, but only for Canada and not the U.S.

Frosted Glass was only available with four wheel disk brakes and alloy wheels in the SEL trim, which was only available with the DCT in the USA. I had to weigh my options, and on Z-plan, thanks to my grandfather, the SEL was a better deal than a 203A DCT sport with winter package SE in sedan or hatch forms as more money came off even the base SEL than did the up optioned SE at the time.

My last car was a manual and was the one I learned how to drive one in, therefore I was more apt to choose another manual before doing the deep dive and finding that the car I wanted wasn't available that way.

If they had been smarter they would have made it available on every single car even if it was a zero cost option on the SEL or Ti rather than a $1095 credit. At least then they could build the exact configurations people will order and buy rather than just guessing and bundling things together.

I didn't really care for MFT even though the larger screen might look nice, so I didn't really want a Ti for this reason, plus it wasn't available in F.G.

The ST was really fun to drive, for me it was better than the 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 L they had on the same day, at least on that course, but that Mustang was an Auto with the tiny toggle switch that's even more annoying than on the normal Focus.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Pretty sure they are a hardcore troll, especially given how they already got rid of the car yet continue to mercilessly trash it.
While I don't own a 2012 Focus anymore,the financial hole(6000$) the car cost me ,is still present.While the Hyundai is cheaper to insure and is better on gas,it will still take a while totally erase the damage from the Focus.I also had the decensy of selling the car a serviceable condition,while it was sold to me in a condition most people(including Ford empoyees) wouldn't drive their kids in.Contrarely to some Ford employees, I got a conscience.Ford employees should look themselves in a mirror before commenting on my decision.They had more than enough time to shine and fix their mess and they didn't.Customers satisfaction is only important for the salesman ,because he's the only one impacted on that,the rest don't give a s...

While I'm being extremely sarcastic ,the message is true.This is now what Ford is, and will remain for a long time.I miss the days you could have choices and you had decent service and you could talk to people who care.Now it's take it or leave it ,and if you take it and got problems goodluck with it.If I was an isolated case I wouldn't be here.I took it ,paid the price and you can be sure I got every rights to comment on whatever I want.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
That would have been on my list of configurations, and the first choice.
Sheesh suss, my measly little snide remark didn't deserve the analysis treatment!
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.