Engine vibration issue 02 150000 mi. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84572
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 1 84572 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine vibration issue 02 150000 mi.

It's my wifes car so I don't know when this started. I drove it the other day and it sounded as if the dash was going to shake loose. The car vibrates badly at idle. It smooths out somewhat at higher rpms, but I can tell it's still there. I've replaced the motor mounts. The driver's side was definately bad. The other two were good(I know this after having replaced them). What else could it be? It used to get better as it warmed up but now it stays the same(per wife). I checked the plugs-all looked same(good color). No codes. Gets the same mpg as usual. I can feel it when I put my hand on the valve cover. It's not as smooth as it used to be. Could something be hitting the body/firewall/k-member somewhere? I can't figure it out. 150000 miles. Timing belt replaced 20000 miles ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
z28forlife
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67288
What I Drive: 2003 Silver EAP SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 z28forlife Good Standing Member
How long ago were the mounts changed? My car only had 72k on it but the mounts were crap! Did you get OEM mounts as well?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Hempster
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29310
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 3 Hempster Good Standing Member
Could be mount, but I have 250,000km's on the originals and have no vibe issues.
When my o2 sensors were going out had a vibration decelerating at around 2800rpm's, but nothing that would rattle my dash!
CD Silver 02 SVTF, #1336 - R.I.P.

"Brace for the G's, and fast heel-toe work!"- Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Hempster; 09-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

I replaced the motor mounts on Tuesday(2 days ago). Before I replaced them, I put the car up on stands and then placed a floor jack under the tranny where the rear mount attaches. I started it and it was smooth as silk. So I replaced it. Started it and the vibration was still there. Have replaced all 3 mounts and still vibrating. Not as bad as before but close, more than I'm comfortable with. My wife drove it to work(70 mile round trip) and said it felt about the same to her. It seems worse at idle. She has to drive it, this weekend I'll get under it again to see if I've missed anything. Is there anything in the engine that can get out of balance? I've had it torn down to the a long block(block, pistons, crank, and pan) and don't remember anything that could get that out of balance. I'll follow up after I look again this weekend. It still has the original flywheel and clutch, but no slipping. Like I said, it's the wifes car and she baby's it. It's never seen 5000rpm but about 4 times.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Hempster
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29310
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 3 Hempster Good Standing Member
What did you replace them with, OEM or aftermarket?
Slim possibility that a pully is going out, maybe, but I can't think of any rotating items that would cause this other than a clutch or flywheel issue, also maybe!
What is the engine idling at when you feel this vibration?
CD Silver 02 SVTF, #1336 - R.I.P.

"Brace for the G's, and fast heel-toe work!"- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
yamadog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63561
What I Drive: 2002 sonic blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 yamadog Good Standing Member
timely post. My '02 SVT with125000 miles is showing same symptons. Worse when cold,better after warmed up. Almost sounds like exhaust rattle but can find nothing wrong. Will follw this post closely. Good Luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Replaced with OEM mounts. I can't remember what the idle rpms are, just know that it's the same as it always has been. I'm thinking around 700rpm? I was thinking maybe the flywheel &/or clutch too??-maybe. That would be the only rotating mass that I thing could cause a vibration of this magnitude? I want to eliminate all the other possibilities first. I hate pulling that tranny out. I shoulda replaced all that when I had it out summer before last, but money was tight. I'll give it another look this weekend and update then.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry for being late on replying. I hurt my back and couldn't check the car out again until recently. I put it on stands and checked everything. Nothing that I can see is hitting anything. I thought maybe that I had left something loose, but no. I checked the crank pulley/balncer to see if the rubber had separated. It looked good. I cannot find what's causing the vibration. Desperate, maybe stupid question here: can the (dual mass) flywheel get out of balance? I hate taking my cars to a garage, but I've got to get this resolved. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking something is hitting somewhere. Because at times while driving the vibration goes away for an instant. Like something is shifted/moved and there's really no pattern to it. I've applied the e-brake and put a load on the drivetrain in both forward and reverse to see if the vibration changes with no luck. Sorry for rambling, just trying to give all the info. I can.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

An update. I didn't tighten the nut on the underside of the passenger side motor mount. To sum up the cause of the vibration: both the driver side and passenger side motor mounts were torn. I replaced all 3 and the vibration is gone.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->