2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 118 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #1171
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Returned the Ford to the dealer again to fix the noise. Tech says he hears nothing and I need to take off work to ride with him and point it out.
I'd be lighting up the dealer and Ford. They have a TSB they should be honoring it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #1172
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Where is a link to the TSB I didn't find anything here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264330

or here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/re...S&type=VEHICLE

I do have this problem but was waiting for it to get worse before reporting it. For some reason I didn't notice it on my test drive.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #1173
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
It was posted in here and in another thread I believe, but if you have a RATTLE when going over bumps/potholes at lower speeds, IT IS NOT THE SUSPENSION.

It is the coolant reservoir rattling!

I had this annoying rattle for as long as I could remember AND WAS 110% POSITIVE IT WAS THE SUSPENSION...welp this weekend I finally saw a thread about sticking a sponge underneath the coolant reservoir and an AC line. Instead of a sponge I bought 1/2 inch thick pipe insulation. If I could have found an inch thick pipe insulation it would have been perfect, but instead I tucked extra material under the 1/2 inch pipe insulation so it fit snugly between the AC line and the bottom of the reservoir.

THE RATTLING HAS STOPPED COMPLETELY.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #1174
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
It was posted in here and in another thread I believe, but if you have a RATTLE when going over bumps/potholes at lower speeds, IT IS NOT THE SUSPENSION.

I had this annoying rattle for as long as I could remember AND WAS 110% POSITIVE IT WAS THE SUSPENSION...welp this weekend I finally saw a thread about sticking a sponge underneath the coolant reservoir and an AC line. Instead of a sponge I bought 1/2 inch thick pipe insulation. If I could have found an inch thick pipe insulation it would have been perfect, but instead I tucked extra material under the 1/2 inch pipe insulation so it fit snugly between the AC line and the bottom of the reservoir.

Thanks for the heads up, mine is more of a clunk / popping sound when coming to a stop, or slowing down. Sounds like struts or something but I suppose it could be something else. Still can't find the TSB link.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #1175
eriksarnstrom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101520
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 eriksarnstrom Good Standing Member
Had the TSB done today. Drove the car home 40 miles and drove over areas where I would frequently hear the noise. As of now it is clunk free. I told my dealer about the previous stories and they stated that if it happened again they would go higher up the chain with it....not sure what that means. I waited over a month for these parts so lets hope somehow they are improved.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #1176
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
Well I got my car back the same day as my previous post after 3 hours. Seems after I took it on a 25 mile trip. I was a little concerned about the passenger side spring being different (has more loops than the driver side as the tech told me). On my way back towards my apartment I took a long and twisty road and immediately noticed how the passenger front suspension felt a lot stiffer.

Now I just went on a food run and once I got back and stopped the car I noticed a light thud/pop sound when I had a little pressure on the wheel going to the right as I turned the car off. I then rocked it back and forth a little to the right and kept hearing the noise. I then turned the car back on and repeated turning the wheel only an inch to the right and then back to center and I could still hear it.

I'm going to call the service department back when they open at 8 a.m. and talk to them. Hopefully this is just something that is coming loose as the tech did a full alignment before they gave me the car back.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #1177
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post

Can you take a picture and post what you're talking about. I'm curious to see if that's what I'm hearing.

Also, I just got a call from the dealership and they're saying that the sound is consistent with a new model they have on the lot. That's total BS and I'm really frustrated, this car has caused me nothing but stress and anxiety.

They also told me that the parts had all already been replaced at a different dealership back in February. Could that be possible or is he BSing me? I thought the new TSB had updated parts.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #1178
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member

See that AC line coming up from the bottom center of the photo? I added that black insulation on it (still has the sticker on the left side of the insulation). I covered the AC line and made sure it was thick enough to touch the bottom of the coolant reservoir to keep the reservoir from moving. I have done more driving and only hear the rattle when I hit a severe bump/pothole. It is 85-90% quieter now since I have added that insulation.

I circled it:

Some people have folded a sponge and stuffed it between that AC line and the bottom of the reservoir. I suggest doing this first as a test to see if it stops your rattling.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #1179
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Had this done a couple months ago to my 2012 SEL (Dec '11 build)... They didn't to the entire front end, only the driver side (where I said it was coming from). That part seems fine still (knock on wood).

NOW it is the front PASSENGER side! ...had them look at it when I got an oil change (at least this dealership gives 3 years of oil changes for free! ) and they gave the generic "Couldn't hear it." response. The roads around my dealership are pretty good/not bumpy ... so I wonder how hard they really tried. Next time I bring it in (or if it continues/gets worse) I wonder if I'll have to throw a fit to get it fixed ...

I haven't mulled through the 99+ pages on this thread, but have people had any issues with the noise coming back after a fix?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #1180
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
I haven't mulled through the 99+ pages on this thread, but have people had any issues with the noise coming back after a fix?

The last couple pages are of us ...(the ones who have had the newer TSB 12-6-17 done).. and it's pretty much come back, myself included.

Bookmarks & Social Networks