2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 121 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #1201
gambit293
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103090
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 gambit293 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Don't be.
One thing to understand though is the following : the Focus is not a city driving car (mpg perspective). It doesn't like short distances and slow stop and go traffic either. If you do 100% city driving stuck in traffic and no more than 6000 km per year, you better go for a hybrid or an electric car. A bicycle would be best and rent a car on week ends. IMO.
No offense, but this seems like a rather bizarre statement-- perhaps a bit too apologetic to the Focus. The Focus was absolutely designed for urban life, and that should include proper mileage as well. Just about all cars can achieve decent highway mileage-- even a lot of muscle cars with large displacement. The ability to deliver efficient performance in city driving is the true test of a car's mileage-- a small car like the Focus should absolutely be expected to deliver fairly good city mileage.

Also, I'm not sure why you are comparing to hybrid cars. The proper comparison should be to the real-life MPG of its gas rivals: Mazda3, Golf, Impreza, Civic, etc. I haven't done the research on these cars real MPG, so I actually have no idea.

For the record, I've only owned my SEL hatch for about two weeks, so I haven't really gotten a good handle on its mileage. So far, the trip computer has appeared to have settled on a bit under 25 mpg, in fairly lousy city driving conditions. This is a little disappointing to me, but not outrageously so, and it's still quite a few ticks better than my old car.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #1202
zak404
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89335
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Se Sedan Sport

FF Reputation: 1 zak404 Good Standing Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit293 View Post
No offense, but this seems like a rather bizarre statement-- perhaps a bit too apologetic to the Focus. The Focus was absolutely designed for urban life, and that should include proper mileage as well. Just about all cars can achieve decent highway mileage-- even a lot of muscle cars with large displacement. The ability to deliver efficient performance in city driving is the true test of a car's mileage-- a small car like the Focus should absolutely be expected to deliver fairly good city mileage.

Also, I'm not sure why you are comparing to hybrid cars. The proper comparison should be to the real-life MPG of its gas rivals: Mazda3, Golf, Impreza, Civic, etc. I haven't done the research on these cars real MPG, so I actually have no idea.

For the record, I've only owned my SEL hatch for about two weeks, so I haven't really gotten a good handle on its mileage. So far, the trip computer has appeared to have settled on a bit under 25 mpg, in fairly lousy city driving conditions. This is a little disappointing to me, but not outrageously so, and it's still quite a few ticks better than my old car.

Cheers.
The Focus isn't as small as it once was. I owed a 2001 and a 2007 both were very tinny and noisy compared to my 2012. I looked at the rest Mazda3 (the happy face car) as well as the rest and think the new Focus is far superior.
I am very happy with my mileage as it is better than the last two Focus and has more power.
About 30 MPG in the city but our rush hour doesn't compare to major cities so maybe that is why mine is better.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #1203
timmytVA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102488
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray 5Dr Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 timmytVA Good Standing Member
2012 Ti hatchback, 6 speed DCT, 1600 miles. So far the MPG is my only knock on the car. I'm getting 21-22 in my normal commute driving. I live in Northern Virginia and most of my driving is stop and go 4 mile commute to/from work and similar distances to soccer, lacrosse, schools, stores, etc.

I've taken one long trip, the first weekend I had the car, and got 30.3 but that was the first few hundred miles on the car and up and down Western PA mountains.

For comparison, my 2002 325i (manual trans) got 19-21 around town, low 30s highway.

I'd like to see my commute MPG around 25 and highway around 35.

Anyone with similar driving patterns since an MPG increase after "break in" (whatever that means in this day and age)?

Tim
Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #1204
5spdti
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102203
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 5spdti Good Standing Member
Titanium Mileage

I have a 7 week old Titanium with a 5 speed manual transmission. My travels are mixed - 60% highway and 40% urban stop and go. From the beginning, the car has yielded very good tank by tank mileage with a 2,100 mile average of approximately 34.8 miles per gallon (hand calculated). The trip comuter calculated my mileage a little higher at 35.3 miles pergallon over the life of the car thus far. Overall, I would say that the car is exceeding my fuel efficiency expectations. I may be a ringer, however, as I traded-in a 2010 Toyota Prius for the Focus and had a 2007 Prius before that one. Once you learn basic hypermiling techniques you end-up driving every car with these habits seemingly forever (can't shake the habit). I rented a 2012 SE with a DSC automatic in June and I got a trip computer mileage output of 41.3 miles per gallon on a 262 mile highway trip. I loved the car (and the mileage) and it pushed me over the top to buy one. Bottom line is if you drive your new Focus correctly you can meet or exceed the EPA mileage estimates easily. The car is designed and capable of excellent mileage.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #1205
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I average ~4 mpg higher in my 2012 than in my 2001 (Zetec) Focus in virtually all driving scenarios. That agrees with the difference in EPA ratings between the cars, and is pretty good when you consider that the 2012 is 300 lbs heavier and has 30 more HP on tap.

Overall average: 31.5 MPG (2001 was 27.9)
MPG @ 70 MPH, flat cruise: 36 (2001 was 32)
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #1206
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit293 View Post

Cheers.
Maybe I said it wrong or someone got it wrong. I didn't "bash" Ford Focus, only responded @ricomtl comments. And I spoke from my experience in the same conditions of driving as ricomtl => downtown Montreal driving. Where you have lots of stop-and-go, red stops and intermitent stuck-in-traffic. And yes, in these conditions, our FF is not as good as it is rated. Mazda 3, Golf, Civic and Impreza are not better and I didn't feel like mentioning them. I only stated that a hybrid car would be best in the conditions of Montreal downtown driving. Nothing more, nothing less.
A lot of people post great MPG in "city driving", but I am sure their driving is almost as fluent as on highway driving but with lesser speed. Do a test for yourself: fill up your tank, reset the mpg and get in a 30 minutes stop-and-go traffic with no more than 15 mph speed and no more then 300 yards between stops. Add some idle minutes at red stops, then come back and post your mpg - photo if possible. I bet it will not be 30 mpg, not even 25 mpg. Mine shows in these conditions even less.
Thank's God there is some highway / fluent traffic so that my mpg go up to a 28.8 mpg average since I own this car. Which I love and find it being the best for me !

---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #1207
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytVA View Post
2012 Ti hatchback, 6 speed DCT, 1600 miles. So far the MPG is my only knock on the car. I'm getting 21-22 in my normal commute driving. I live in Northern Virginia and most of my driving is stop and go 4 mile commute to/from work and similar distances to soccer, lacrosse, schools, stores, etc.

I've taken one long trip, the first weekend I had the car, and got 30.3 but that was the first few hundred miles on the car and up and down Western PA mountains.

For comparison, my 2002 325i (manual trans) got 19-21 around town, low 30s highway.

I'd like to see my commute MPG around 25 and highway around 35.

Anyone with similar driving patterns since an MPG increase after "break in" (whatever that means in this day and age)?

Tim

The FF is not well suited to stop-and-go driving and if that's the kind of driving you do frequently a hybrid would be a much better choice. If you're getting around 21mpg in stop-and-go driving with the FF you could expect more like 35+mpg with a hybrid like the C-Max or Prius. The advantage on the highway is much less but stop-and-go is the sweet spot for hybrids...

Brian
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #1208
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
A lot of people post great MPG in "city driving", but I am sure their driving is almost as fluent as on highway driving but with lesser speed. Do a test for yourself: fill up your tank, reset the mpg and get in a 30 minutes stop-and-go traffic with no more than 15 mph speed and no more then 300 yards between stops.
Likewise, the EPA city cycle doesn't reflect the stop-and-go you're describing here. Therefore, I'm not sure why one would expect the actual MPG to compare to the rating in these differing conditions.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #1209
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Likewise, the EPA city cycle doesn't reflect the stop-and-go you're describing here. Therefore, I'm not sure why one would expect the actual MPG to compare to the rating in these differing conditions.
Exactly my point. I don't argue EPA, I am glad with what I get from my car in the amount of driving in the city area. But, if I'd have a daily commute of 4 miles and city driving stop-and-go, I'd go for a hybrid without afterthoughts. Unless Ford will put in the Focus the idle-stop system. THAT would be GREAT to have.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #1210
timmytVA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102488
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray 5Dr Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 timmytVA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
The FF is not well suited to stop-and-go driving and if that's the kind of driving you do frequently a hybrid would be a much better choice. If you're getting around 21mpg in stop-and-go driving with the FF you could expect more like 35+mpg with a hybrid like the C-Max or Prius. The advantage on the highway is much less but stop-and-go is the sweet spot for hybrids...
Brian
Hey Brian,

You're prob right about the hybrid. And I'm not really complaining about my car. Two other contributing factors : the 18" wheels and sticky Michelins from the Ti Handling Package and my heavy right foot as I get used to the car and break in the DCT. At some point, I'll lay off the stomp and go green lights and continuously dropping into S and shifting manually. I fully expect the MPGs to creep up to mid 20s.

Tim

Bookmarks & Social Networks