Locked key fob in the car !!! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yup, same here!
Wife locked her purse (containing the fob) inside the car. What a drag!

Ford really effed up the fob system by allowing doors to lock with fob inside. They ought to be ashamed!!!

Last edited by clogan; 09-03-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #22
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
It's been awhile since the original issue and no re-occurance as of yet. Oh, and trust me, I've tried to lock it in a time or two since. Maybe it was just a freak accident and seeing how the fob was in the door panel, maybe it was out of reach of the signal.

The world may never know...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
FFT2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103373
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FFT2012 Good Standing Member
Locking Key Fob in the car

I went to Ford on Friday about this and after hearing that it wasn't possible to do....I assured them that AAA said they unlock many car doors that aren't supposed to ever lock....:) They came up with an alternative that will give me peace of mind....they are installing a key pad on the door so if it ever happens again, I can gain access without having to have my spare on me. They are installing it free of charge. :)
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
I'm completely lost how this happens though. Not the functional aspect, but the logical one.

If you didn't have the fob, and you had a key...would you still lock that in the car? Or are you acting a specific way because you don't think it's possible to lock the keys in the car? If you're getting out of the car without the key...why would you be locking the doors anyway?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
Blizzard35
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88463
What I Drive: 2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 2 Blizzard35 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFT2012 View Post
I went to Ford on Friday about this and after hearing that it wasn't possible to do....I assured them that AAA said they unlock many car doors that aren't supposed to ever lock....:) They came up with an alternative that will give me peace of mind....they are installing a key pad on the door so if it ever happens again, I can gain access without having to have my spare on me. They are installing it free of charge. :)
Just as a FYI, the keypad will "NOT" work with the Titanium intelligent access system. I have had my car since June 2011 and the first things I asked my dealership to install on my new car was the keypad when the car arrived. Nada...I was informed that it will not work with the way the system is set up on the Titanium. Double check with your dealership.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
bawxcar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80841
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ti HB (401A)

FF Reputation: 1 bawxcar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I'm completely lost how this happens though. Not the functional aspect, but the logical one.

If you didn't have the fob, and you had a key...would you still lock that in the car? Or are you acting a specific way because you don't think it's possible to lock the keys in the car? If you're getting out of the car without the key...why would you be locking the doors anyway?
My sister does this all the time in her escape, she'll lock the doors when getting out of the vehicle with her fob and then leave the keys on the seat. I always laugh at her when she does lock them in the vehicle, yet somehow she doesn't seem to find the humor in it..
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
Guimpy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88333
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Guimpy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan View Post
Yup, same here!
Wife locked her purse (containing the fob) inside the car. What a drag!

Ford really effed up the fob system by allowing doors to lock with fob inside. They ought to be ashamed!!!
I kind of like the idea that I can lock the doors while I'm inside in case some crazy wacko was trying to get to me. Wouldn't you agree? It's no different than leaving the fob inside without you in the car.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimpy View Post
I kind of like the idea that I can lock the doors while I'm inside in case some crazy wacko was trying to get to me. Wouldn't you agree? It's no different than leaving the fob inside without you in the car.
Technically that's a different situation. When you're in the car you've closed the door and started to drive away, the car then locks and cannot be opened from the outside unless you unlock the car.

This is a little bit different than when you open the door and step outside and then go to lock the door with the car key inside you don't want it to lock unless you have the key with you.

In one scenario you want the car to lock and remain locked (and it does). In the other you might not want it to lock without you having the key with you.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Guimpy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88333
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Guimpy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Technically that's a different situation. When you're in the car you've closed the door and started to drive away, the car then locks and cannot be opened from the outside unless you unlock the car.

This is a little bit different than when you open the door and step outside and then go to lock the door with the car key inside you don't want it to lock unless you have the key with you.

In one scenario you want the car to lock and remain locked (and it does). In the other you might not want it to lock without you having the key with you.
I can think of many different scenarios because I watch too much tv. Imagine this one.... It's just like a movie.

You are running for dear life because someone is trying to kill you. You get to your car and try to start the engine. The engine doesn't start. It just turns and turns but never starts. Your first reaction is.....to lock the doors. At least it might give or buy you some time to figure things out.

So, if car is not running and fob is in car, you are screwed. Anyone can open the door.

Now wouldn't you prefer to have the door locked instead and not be able to unlock it?

I know, far fetched story but still...
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post

The problem with the logic is that if you haven't been driving (or you don't plan on it) and you're sitting in the car with the doors locked, you don't want someone to be able to just open a door. What people are suggesting would mean that if you open the door, get in, hit the lock button on the dash, then close the door, someone could still open the door from the outside. That would be a horrible design.

You know what would alleviate the entire problem? Hitting the lock button on the fob instead of the dash. What's the big reason for hitting the button on the dash instead of the Fob? That's what it's for. The dash button is there for if you're *in* the car and want to lock it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks