Nothing but problems pt2 - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Jig Saw
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94419
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Se

FF Reputation: 1 Jig Saw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Damn that noise is horrifying. Hopefully you can trade in and get ST instead ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagreene View Post
Sorry Suss, should have clarified.

Will honestly I'd like you, my cousin Joe, the GM whoever, to all pile in and hear this car. It will definitely do the noise... It's a daily thing now and I am tired of it. Absolutely tired.
Ashley,

The ideal thing is to have the technician who is to work on it hear it as well as the Service Manager. If I hear it, I dont know what to do to fix it and the same goes for Joe Welde (Joe has a sales meeting from 9-10). If Jim hears it, he will know what to describe to the engineers of Ford. Jim can describe the noise to Engineering and the Service Manager is the one in direct contact with your Customer Relations Manager. Like I said before, I will do whatever I can in my power to help. I want you to be happy with your car as I am with mine. Hopefully with this visit we can pass on what is happening exactly to Ford and they will instruct us as to what the game plan will be. Have a great night and we will see you in the morning.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
ohnoy2k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97037
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch w/DCT

FF Reputation: 1 ohnoy2k Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
http://youtu.be/KS8bTHAzkUU

This noise is again between 2 and 3 RPMs.
holy hell. my tranny makes a noise similar to this on the 1-2 shift but not nearly as drawn out

Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Guimpy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88333
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Guimpy Good Standing Member
Ditto for me. After one year of ownership, mine just started making some type of grinding noise similar to what's on your vid but they are far from being that loud. I've always thought it to be the grill shutters as it kinda sounds like its coming in that area but really, I don't know. Wow, I just hope my car never gets to what yours is like. I feel for you.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
jagreene
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102678
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jagreene Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimpy View Post
Ditto for me. After one year of ownership, mine just started making some type of grinding noise similar to what's on your vid but they are far from being that loud. I've always thought it to be the grill shutters as it kinda sounds like its coming in that area but really, I don't know. Wow, I just hope my car never gets to what yours is like. I feel for you.
Mine started after a year as well. It was quiet at first so just keep an eye on yours and I'll keep this post updated as much as I can. My focus is one of the early builds so perhaps you guys will get lucky.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
I have this noise, after 10k miles it developed. It started doing it only in the even gears and now the odd ones as well.

The clutch is shot and needs to be replaced. It is exhibiting the "Green" clutch break in symptoms but well after the break in period. It's very clear, but the dealerships are not very helpful (lack of DCT training?).

First you'll just hear the grinding, especially at low RPM pulls. Then you'll notice that sometimes you're driving a CVT because the clutch is sooo slowww to let out. Then you'll notice power loss when accelerating while it's doing this slow engaging or grinding. You'll notice surges in acceleration, it'll feel almost like gentle bumps in the road. Sometimes the grinding will turn into heavy chatters that vibrate the whole car, sounding like a helicopter hovering, and cause pulsing torque steer.

All these problems and all it needs is a new clutch, but no one wants to touch it. Good luck getting it fixed.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #17
jagreene
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102678
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jagreene Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
I have this noise, after 10k miles it developed. It started doing it only in the even gears and now the odd ones as well.

The clutch is shot and needs to be replaced. It is exhibiting the "Green" clutch break in symptoms but well after the break in period. It's very clear, but the dealerships are not very helpful (lack of DCT training?).

First you'll just hear the grinding, especially at low RPM pulls. Then you'll notice that sometimes you're driving a CVT because the clutch is sooo slowww to let out. Then you'll notice power loss when accelerating while it's doing this slow engaging or grinding. You'll notice surges in acceleration, it'll feel almost like gentle bumps in the road. Sometimes the grinding will turn into heavy chatters that vibrate the whole car, sounding like a helicopter hovering, and cause pulsing torque steer.

All these problems and all it needs is a new clutch, but no one wants to touch it. Good luck getting it fixed.
Yes, yes and yes. All these things happen in my car too. Thanks for the luck I will definitely need it. I'm sure I will be told it's "normal" again. It's quite honestly the most frustrating thing I've ever been up against. Also, thank you for posting this. I have noticed the surges in acceleration and loss in power but wasn't sure why it would happen or if I was somehow doing it... ( I am certainly uneducated when it comes to this kind of transmission).

Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
... ( I am certainly uneducated when it comes to this kind of transmission).
Don't feel bad, MOST of Ford's dealer network (including your own, by the sound of it) is also uneducated about it. My own dealership is pretty good, but, they just keep "throwing" parts at it and reflashing it over, and over again.... it seems to be just a guessing game for them now...
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)

Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Be prepared for the "normal" noise answer! Mine does this and no matter what all I get is "this is normal". They claim to have spoken with Ford and they claim all is well! Heck they even called me and told me to just put it in sport mode and drive it hard! They claim the noise will still be there but I simply will no longer hear it. I really wish I was kidding about this. Mine is not as bad as yours, but definitely the same noise. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post

Yes!. To all of those!. My car has those EXACT symptoms as well!. I took mine in last week and they of course couldn't reproduce the noise so I had to go back up to the dealership and take the Service manager for a little ride. He struggled to hear the noise as mine isn't quite as loud as the OP here and then did admit to being able to hear it just slightly and proceeded to explain that the DCT is basically a fancy Manual Tranny and it would make the same noise if I had my RPM's that low and lugging the car in 5th gear.

When we got back to the dealership he was willing to do some research and pulled a TSB that regarded some seals failing. I told them I had a fluid leak coming down between where the Engine and Transmission meet and they told me that might be a rust inhibitor thats applied during assembly but I know this is more like a Tranny/Oil lubricant. I've been around cars enough to know the difference. Anyhow, so they told me they would order the seals/parts and next week sometime have me bring my car in and have them do the full diagnostics to determine if that fluid leaking is in fact Transmission or Rush inhibitor (following a TSB procedure). If it's in fact tranny or oil they will replace those seals and inspect the clutches or likely replace them, etc.

I'll be shopping for a new car in the next 6mos. I can't stand this! Its been one TSB after another on this thing. I literally HATE the DCT with a passion! It's' just so damn inconsistent and unpredictable. I don't know if Ford will ever get the programming right on it.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks