Need advice about the cheapest way to haul more arse - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #51
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Yeah... it's juuuuust above your cap...
http://forums.focaljet.com/threads/6...pulley-upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #52
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
wont work on a non svt at least not without modification.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #53
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101317
What I Drive: 2013 VW Golf 2.5 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 n00btard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
I would get an Xcal 3 NA Tune from Tom and the Cat back...

there are small things you can do that are cheap on the intake like replace the stock filter with a fight flow (K&N) and remove the resonator...

I think the Tune and Exhaust will give the best bang for the buck... just be prepared to use premium if you go with the tune...
I think that sounds like a plan then.

I already use premium because of the fuel conditioners. I'm also one of those weirdo's who buys his gas from the same company every time (QT) since I know they buy gas from the center of the gasoline frac.

I'll be getting an SVT suspension, intake, cross-drilled rotors, new pads/shoes, and body work in August. I'm going to do the tranny whenever I can wait for however long it takes to get it back from Tom.

On a side note --My Focus has a low pitch rumble at 2300-2600RPM with the car in gear. It goes away if I open the clutch or acellerate past 2600RPM. Do I need to go back to the shop, or is that the natural resonant frequency of the car?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #54
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Cross drilled rotors are a waste of money. I'd also go with a used svt intake and a drop in filter if you can find one. Much cheaper and better gains.

Other members have told me that the svt header is not legal to use on a non - svt in cali even with a cat and egr.

Premium gas in a car that isn't tuned for it is also a waste of money. Octane is simply how resistant a fuel is to detonation. It has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. All gas has conditioners in it.
HN #171
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #55
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
Premium gas in a car that isn't tuned for it is also a waste of money. Octane is simply how resistant a fuel is to detonation. It has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. All gas has conditioners in it.
I dont agree with this statement at all for many many reasons

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #56
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Tom
There are plenty of threads around arguing this point. So in the interest of not threadjacking let's just disagree on it and move on.

Especially since he's already said he's tuning for high octane so it's a moot point.
HN #171
Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #57
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
Cross drilled rotors are a waste of money. I'd also go with a used svt intake and a drop in filter if you can find one. Much cheaper and better gains.

Other members have told me that the svt header is not legal to use on a non - svt in cali even with a cat and egr.

Well, already stared on the suspension w/ new LCAs bushings/bolts/links, FR spring kit with Monroe sesitrac SVT dampeners and I've done rotors, K&N and have tuned the car for 93 octane myself Air/fuel is sitting right at @ 14.7 under WOT.

Set the idle @ 1000RPMs, changed up the fan speeds a bit, swapped the spark plugs for some slightly hotter ones, and set that up in the tune as well. Bled the brakes pretty hard and started on the bodywork. Got a driver side racing seat and a front end mask too. I'm putting in a shifter this weekend.

Ran into a bunch of issues (car has rust and dry rot) and I've had to replace the entire in-car wiring harness b/c the previous owner wired an alarm and amp the worst possible way. Car is running REALLY well now (other than a barley audible rumbling I fear is the tranny.)

BTW I want Focus Fanatics to know that my wife hates all of you. I've gotten hooked, and this shit is WAY over budget lol. I'm getting better at doing nearly all my own car modding/repair, and I'm filling the front closet with all my new tools/toys. But it's the most fulfilling and relaxing hobby I've ever had --and a great way to relax from working AND school full time.

So --that said. What's next? Should I gut the rusty suspension and exhaust OR should I buy that Roush turbo kit? I want the Roush kit SO bad, but I don't want to screw this work all to Hell. If my car can handle it --I'm on that like white on rice!

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #58
n00btard
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Tom
I'm with you on this especially because I live in a state that confuses booze with gasoline. I want my gas AND my moonshine pure dammit!

Posted via FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks