HELP! wierd noise coming from engine! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
L1ttlebear
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103551
What I Drive: 2001 maroon ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 L1ttlebear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HELP! wierd noise coming from engine!

Hello all,
I have a problem that I am hoping someone can help me with.

My car has recently decide that it would start making this funny noise on me. The noise sounds like if you placed a card in a bike spoke. The noise comes from the engine compartment (as far as i can tell) directly in front of the driver. The noise increases in SPEED with an increase in RPMs but increases in VOLUME with the depression of the accelerator peddle. When the car starts i hear the noise so long as the choke is running but once the engine settles in the noise goes away. you can not hear the noise at ALL when the gas is not being pressed, whether the car is moving or not.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
duc450
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10651
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SVT CD Silver

FF Reputation: 4 duc450 Good Standing Member
Try getting an old coke bottle(plastic) or even a short broom stick handle. If you have a couple extra bucks a mechanics stethoscope is a good investment. Either way take these "tools" and place them in various areas where you think the sound might be coming from and then put the other end on your ear and listen for the sound. Keeping clear of the moving parts. Move it around till the sound gets more intense. That will help at least point you in the right direction.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
pureford.
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101008
What I Drive: 2005 white ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 pureford. Good Standing Member
Have you engine mounts checked. I had a weird grinding noise coming from under the hood and I had no clue what it was so I took it in to
My mechanic an he said the engine mounts had some type with fluid in the and fluid had dried up and was vibrating against its self. And it was really common.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
coldbear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78292
What I Drive: 2001 Burgandy ZXT

FF Reputation: 1 coldbear Good Standing Member
I'd say start with motor mounts. One strange quirk of the Focus.They eat motor mounts. Also don't cheap out on em' either.You'll be changing em' again in a year.jmo.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
L1ttlebear
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103551
What I Drive: 2001 maroon ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 L1ttlebear Good Standing Member
It was my EGR tube! :P of all of the issues that could happen, the welding on the EGR tube snapped and basically exposed the exaust making my car sound like a lawn mower.

I know this is a SUPER late reply, and thank you by the way, but i figured i would just follow up :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks