Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #91
notmike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95412
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 notmike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My beautiful Focus is back. The dealer called me this afternoon for me to come pick it up. Every time I look at her Blue Candy finish and and black rims with silver trim, any regrets I had about purchasing her fade away.

Yes, it was distressing to be without my new vehicle for 25 days, but Ford did do their best to make the most of a bad situation. The regional customer service rep called me regularly to keep me updated, and she agreed to take care of the $5-a-day rental car tax.

Yes, here in NJ, the state where you can't pump your own gas, we fight the terrorists every time we rent a car, with a $5 Homeland Security Tax that was put in place soon after 9/11.

So Ford ended up replacing the steering gear assembly, and everything works again.

As long as this problem doesn't happen again, I am satisfied. Although, I will probably steer two-handed more often just in case it does go out, and I have to muscle the steering back under control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #92
KillerKarma
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103184
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 KillerKarma Good Standing Member
Update: It has now been 22 days without my car. No updates. No ETA on the part. I called Ford Customer Service and was told that my case would be escalated. Escalated apparently means that someone will call me back on Monday. I love my car, but this really doesn't make me feel like I made the right choice by buying a Ford.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #93
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
I'm SO sorry to hear that you've been without your car that long. I was without mine for 8 days for the power steering rack to be replaced. I couldn't imagine being without it for over 22! The only bright side I see to this is that the dealership is actually fixing it. When I had this issue they sent me along saying "the code is too generic, wait for it to happen again, it's not a safety issue" at first, but a Vehicle Defect Notice got them working on the issue.

I sincerely hope it gets fixed permanently for you. If it's not, check with your state's Lemon Laws. In FL, you should send a Vehicle Defect Notice to both the manufacturer and the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration board when your car has been subject to either3 repair attempts or 15 days out of service (or both like mine was!). You're clearly over 15 days, so you may want to send one in if your state requires it to ensure you don't forfeit your Lemon Law rights.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #94
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
I didn't bring my car in to the dealership to have the steering checked for a few days after the failure, but it did store the following code: U3000:49. The power steering assist began to work again after a restart, but it did have the code logged when they plugged the car into the computer days later. Was initially told that the code was too generic to diagnose the issue, so the cleared the code from the car's memory and sent me on my way.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #95
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKarma View Post
I have also been getting the "Steering Assist Fault" error message on my 2012 Focus :( I got it a 2-3 times (always when I first started the car) but it went away after a restart. Last Wednesday morning I got into my car to go to work and the power steering was completely out. I had it towed to the dealership and that is where it has sat ever since. It's been a week. I have yet to get even one call from them!! I called the day after I dropped it off and was assured that the part was ordered and would be in by 2pm that day (Thursday 8/22). I call every other day and get the same story..."waiting on the part." This is my first focus and I was so excited about it. I just wish I could get my car back already. It's costing me $12+ per day for the rental with the rental coverage through the warranty. Not to mention that my rental is an Impala which is much less efficient when it comes to fuel. I don't know what to do at this point. I just want my own car back.
Quote:
Update: It has now been 22 days without my car. No updates. No ETA on the part. I called Ford Customer Service and was told that my case would be escalated. Escalated apparently means that someone will call me back on Monday. I love my car, but this really doesn't make me feel like I made the right choice by buying a Ford.
Hi KillerKarma,

I'd like to check on the status of your escalation. PM me your case number or VIN and I'll start doing some detective work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike View Post
My beautiful Focus is back. The dealer called me this afternoon for me to come pick it up. Every time I look at her Blue Candy finish and and black rims with silver trim, any regrets I had about purchasing her fade away...So Ford ended up replacing the steering gear assembly, and everything works again...
Yay! I love a great reunion story! Thanks for making my day.

-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #96
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lou View Post
Thanks....I was just wondering because both times the power steering failed and we took into the dealer they said no codes were present and they could not fix anything even though we had a picture of the power steering fault service required message...so I do believe our dealer lied to us....B-lou
Hi B-lou,

This isn't the customer experience we're aiming for. You're welcome to get a second opinion from another Ford dealer. I'll escalate your case to your region's Customer Service Manager,they'll work in tandem with your chosen Ford dealer to resolve your concern. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and a good daytime contact number.

Thanks,
Crystal

Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #97
KillerKarma
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103184
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 KillerKarma Good Standing Member
I haven't been on for a while. I did eventually get my car back after a little over a month. Never got the call from Ford Customer Service that was promised. The dealership ended up covering the cost of the rental. My understanding was that Ford wasn't going to. I hope this doesn't happen again.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #98
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
I haven't been on for a while. I did eventually get my car back after a little over a month. Never got the call from Ford Customer Service that was promised. The dealership ended up covering the cost of the rental. My understanding was that Ford wasn't going to. I hope this doesn't happen again.
Hi KillerKarma,

I'm always happy to step in and assist; just send me a PM whenever you're having a concern and I'll look into ways I can help. If you'd like, I can have your regional customer service manager reach out to you now. Contact me via PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest.

Thanks,
Crystal

Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #99
Abi T
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108105
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Abi T Good Standing Member
Issue not resolved. Bought my focus in April 2012. Power steering failed on my car around December 2012 after 40,000 km.

Dealer replaced the entire steering system. (Approximately $1500 covered by warranty).
Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #100
13titanium_perfblue
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109921
What I Drive: 2013, performance blue, titanium

FF Reputation: 1 13titanium_perfblue Good Standing Member
new 2013 titanium has this problem

Just had this happend to me today. 2013 Titanium, 1200 miles, 6 weeks old. Was parked in a parking lot, wheels straight forward. Turned car on and instantly got this fault message and beeping noise. There was no stress on the wheels or steering at all as the tires were forward and no movement was occurring. Tried driving forward, steering wheel very hard to turn. Turned the car off and back on, same thing. Dealer was only a mile away, so I was able to muscle it to the dealer. They haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Not a good situation for such a new vehicle.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->